Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone out there have photos of the very early duelies? The Scott CST shown here was sold back in 1991 By Scott USA and designed by Clark Kent.It'll be restored in the summer.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,730 Posts
I Guess I Wouldn't Consider 1991 Early but...

..as long as you threw it out there here's a 1991 Mantis Pro Floater.
Just about every relavant suspension design was on the scene by 1991-1992. They have just been refined since then.

Attachments

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Does Slingshot count!? :D

I've got an 88/89 Slingshot...that's pretty old for 'suspension'....although it doesn't have front suspension so that would not make it a qualifier would it?

Cannondale EST SE1000/2000/Omega's...

·
Registered
38 Posts
how about the 1992 Proflex 852?
Unfortunately I threw the original rigid fork and Girvin Flexstem away, attached a RS to the bike and finally sold it...
Had bought the bike with a handfull of elastomeres in different colors -> they called it suspension tuning back then :rolleyes:
anyway, loved the bike, sold it in a weak moment.
oldman

Attachments

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Shayne said:
I dont think that early. I did the DH circuit in 91 and there were hardly any FS bikes at that point in time. I dont even think Herbold had an FS bike in late 91. There was the Cannondale and the Boulder then but thats pretty much it I think.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
I dont remember the company (Yamaha comes to mind), but I remember seeing a full suspension bmx bike from the 70's. I'll look for the article later if anyone is interested. MTN bike magazine did a whole issue on the roots of full suspension last year. Before they started to suck so bad. I'll scan some of it when find it.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
Shayne said:
1990...Offroad (original brand name) Proflex 550 and 750, the flexstem showed up on the Offroad hardtails the year previously, when the brand was created. 1990's got flexstems and rear suspension. They didn't start offering suspension forks until about 1993 with the girvin vector forks.

Earliest rear suspension frames of the mtb era would be the SE Shocker in 1985 and Hanebrink's design in 1987. Kestrel Nitro was 1988 as I recall as a show-bike only. The Boulder Gazelle was one of the first production models starting in about 1990.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Shayne said:
The Paramount/Buell S.A.S.S was around as were the Fisher suspension bikes in 1991
Ya, but I dont think you could get either until late 91 or even early 92 on the Fisher... If I recall correctly. I just remember nobody I knew used FS in DH in 91. FS bikes were still in their infancy until 94 I would say. That first FSR was a great design.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Shayne said:
..as long as you threw it out there here's a 1991 Mantis Pro Floater.
Just about every relavant suspension design was on the scene by 1991-1992. They have just been refined since then.

Shayne....what's the AMP style frame that's in the background of this picture ? Curtlo ??

later, Chad

·
Retro Grouch
132 Posts
Hi,

Yeti Interabang, shown at the Long Beach Show 1990. Later stolen from the Yeti shop, wonder where it is today.

1991 Yeti Prototype, still at the Yeti office today

1991 Sotello CRS, fully rigid suspension bike ;)

1992 Mountain Goat, look at that pivot point...

Greetings,

P.S. Remember being invited to the 1992 Trek presentation in Wisconsin in late 1991 (we were germanys best selling Trek dealer back then) and testride the Trek 9500 suspension bike prototype. This was more like an pogo stick or an catapult... The ultimate bunny hop machine but for sure scary on a rough downhill

·
Registered
127 Posts
Michael Staab said:
Hi,https://www.mtb-classic.de/assets/images/sotello_01082003.jpg[/IMG]
1991 Sotello CRS, fully rigid suspension bike ;)

Doug Curtiss (Curtlo Cycles) built this for Danny Sotello. I painted it (Danny's scheme and color choices).

I had completely forgotten about that bike!

Thanks

jb :cool:

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
SHADES said:
Doug Curtiss (Curtlo Cycles) built this for Danny Sotello. I painted it (Danny's scheme and color choices).

I had completely forgotten about that bike!

Thanks

Did you ever get to ride that Shades? I always wondered how that thing rode.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Shayne said:
Upgraded with suspension fork down the road but you get the idea
I do remember that one in 91 and I kinda wanted to use it on a few courses. Real flexy but an improvement over a hardtail at higher speeds on rough stuff. That high pivot had so much pedal feedback.

What about the Mt Cycles San Andreas? I do remember the Suspenders upside down forks with discs but Im not sure about the frame at that point.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,730 Posts
San Andreas and others

The Mt Cycles came out late 1991 early 1992 as did the Mongoose/AMP

The AMP prototype that became the FSR was made mid 1992 I beleive.

GT RTS was mid 1992 I'm pretty sure

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,730 Posts
I don't think a lot of early r suspension weren't suited to downhill

I would have been scared of being catapulted straight over the bars and straight into the ground.

Some of them were designed from the outset as XC bikes just made to take the "edge" off the trail.

The Paramount SASS was a team ride in 1991 and available to the general public in 1992

·
Registered
127 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
Did you ever get to ride that Shades? I always wondered how that thing rode.
I did ride it, but the only thing that I remember was that it was built to fit Danny and that it wa too small for me even though it had a longish TT. I don't remember it being spooky or really comfortable or anything special though or otherwise I would of had Doug build me one.

I do remember going over the design with Doug and Danny and thinking...what the #$&*# is Danny thinking now?

That guy was/is a genius for sure, but even they have their 'special' moments!

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
try and remember, in 1990-94, the difference between a DH and XC bike was simply chainring sizes. Most pro's were still DH racing on hardtails in 1992. Greg Herbold won his World Championship on a Miyata hardtail with a rockshox fork. Cindy Devine won her's on I believe a Kona hardtail.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts