Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
Ah, now I see why you asked me that question :) nice find Steve. It looks like the same as the one I had. We never did determine the year on that on IIRC.

That looks like it will clean up pretty nicely..planning on repaint or just the cleanup and.leaving the patina? ..I vote for just the cleanup ;)

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
bushpig said:
I think that rifling means the steerer is Columbus.

Rifling would mean the grooves were spiralled, but I remember Columbus did offer something like that (SLX or STX?) and so did Miyata...

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
Ishiwata and Tange made steerers like that too. Theirs did not spiral at all.. It does have tange decals.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,357 Posts
bushpig said:
I am pretty sure those do spiral.
Man, every time I move this stem up or down, it twists the bars, wtf?:D

Nice find Steve, but why buy bikes that aren't the right size? Just ties up funds for when the right one comes along....

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
All the Columbus steerers had the rifling. As far as the tubing bushpig is on the money. I used a bunch of the SL steerers in the past and that one looks just like them. Something you should know, if you don't already, is just because a frame has a sticker doesn't mean that's what it was made with.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
themanmonkey said:
All the Columbus steerers had the rifling. As far as the tubing bushpig is on the money. I used a bunch of the SL steerers in the past and that one looks just like them. Something you should know, if you don't already, is just because a frame has a sticker doesn't mean that's what it was made with.

I've never seen one, do they spiral like rifling or are they just straight splines? And I assume it doesn't go all the way up so it's probably only on the bottom few inches of the steerer?

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Fillet-brazed said:
I've never seen one, do they spiral like rifling or are they just straight splines? And I assume it doesn't go all the way up so it's probably only on the bottom few inches of the steerer?

FB,

Tried to get you a detail shot....

Splines only extend about 2" or so up in the steerer.

(I thought it looked cool too when I first saw it :) )

I'm glad you guys liked this one.

MCS, I know it seems odd to buy a frame that isn't the right size, but honestly after watching, (and drooling), over all the fillet brazed beauties that get posted on this forum, I've been feeling a bit envious. So....when this frame popped up I was more interested in it for what it was, (an early frame, brazed by a well known builder, in a cool color, that happened to be in great shape, AND that I might be able to actually afford ;) ), so I plunked down a bid and went to work sure I would be outbid.
Suprisingly, (to me anyway), no one else bid and I got it for the minimum bid :D .

So now I finally have a nice frame to run my fingers over like a soothing worrystone, and it will look nice on the wall in the meantime. :)

cheers,

Steve

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
That was a joke. Sorry I forgot the lol after it. :)

themanmonkey said:
Something you should know, if you don't already, is just because a frame has a sticker doesn't mean that's what it was made with.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
Ever so slight spiraling and only goes a few inches. It's basically lightening of the butt as seem in eastcoaststeve's pic. I tried to TIG some of the tubing years ago and it was a PITA as the wall thickness kept changing. No one else did the spiraling that I ever saw.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
ckevlar said:
That was a joke. Sorry I forgot the lol after it. :)
I was wondering since this forum seems to have the highest level of doubters in MTBR. Once you've striped enough paint or repaired enough frames you stop believing the decals.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
themanmonkey said:
Ever so slight spiraling and only goes a few inches. It's basically lightening of the butt as seem in eastcoaststeve's pic. I tried to TIG some of the tubing years ago and it was a PITA as the wall thickness kept changing. No one else did the spiraling that I ever saw.

thanks for the pic ECS. I would imagine the "rifled" mainframe tubing was heavy? Meant for bigger frames maybe? I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to road bikes in the 80s.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
FB actually it was the lighter tubing that used the rifling. SLX was SL with weight removed by way of the rifling and slightly shorter butts. SP and SPX was the same idea just starting with a heavier tube. TSX I think was the first tubeset that was its own thing I believe. I have the spec sheets around if anyone cares.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
themanmonkey said:
FB actually it was the lighter tubing that used the rifling. SLX was SL with weight removed by way of the rifling and slightly shorter butts. SP and SPX was the same idea just starting with a heavier tube. TSX I think was the first tubeset that was its own thing I believe. I have the spec sheets around if anyone cares.

interesting. so we're talking about ~.6mm tubes with rifling - so I wonder what the thickness was on the thin part.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
.6 was the thin part. Off the top of my head SL was .8/.6/.8 and the rifling was in the .8 section. They did make a 6/4/6 tubing called KL I believe the Recrod tubeset was straight .4.

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like I got a crash course in tubing on this one...thanks.

What I'm really curious about though is when the frame was built, (I saw Stan's Tam thread and it seems it was never nailed down), ...do the decals help with a time frame?

Any Fisher experts hiding in the weeds?

I tried to e-mail TT, but no response as of yet.

Steve

1 - 20 of 48 Posts