Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· illuminaughty
Joined
·
1,623 Posts
Ah, now I see why you asked me that question :) nice find Steve. It looks like the same as the one I had. We never did determine the year on that on IIRC.

That looks like it will clean up pretty nicely..planning on repaint or just the cleanup and.leaving the patina? ..I vote for just the cleanup ;)
 

· Bike Dork
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
All the Columbus steerers had the rifling. As far as the tubing bushpig is on the money. I used a bunch of the SL steerers in the past and that one looks just like them. Something you should know, if you don't already, is just because a frame has a sticker doesn't mean that's what it was made with.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
themanmonkey said:
All the Columbus steerers had the rifling. As far as the tubing bushpig is on the money. I used a bunch of the SL steerers in the past and that one looks just like them. Something you should know, if you don't already, is just because a frame has a sticker doesn't mean that's what it was made with.
I've never seen one, do they spiral like rifling or are they just straight splines? And I assume it doesn't go all the way up so it's probably only on the bottom few inches of the steerer?
 

· The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Fillet-brazed said:
I've never seen one, do they spiral like rifling or are they just straight splines? And I assume it doesn't go all the way up so it's probably only on the bottom few inches of the steerer?
FB,

Tried to get you a detail shot....



Splines only extend about 2" or so up in the steerer.

(I thought it looked cool too when I first saw it :) )

I'm glad you guys liked this one.

MCS, I know it seems odd to buy a frame that isn't the right size, but honestly after watching, (and drooling), over all the fillet brazed beauties that get posted on this forum, I've been feeling a bit envious. So....when this frame popped up I was more interested in it for what it was, (an early frame, brazed by a well known builder, in a cool color, that happened to be in great shape, AND that I might be able to actually afford ;) ), so I plunked down a bid and went to work sure I would be outbid.
Suprisingly, (to me anyway), no one else bid and I got it for the minimum bid :D .

So now I finally have a nice frame to run my fingers over like a soothing worrystone, and it will look nice on the wall in the meantime. :)

cheers,

Steve
 

· Bike Dork
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
I've never seen one, do they spiral like rifling or are they just straight splines? And I assume it doesn't go all the way up so it's probably only on the bottom few inches of the steerer?
Ever so slight spiraling and only goes a few inches. It's basically lightening of the butt as seem in eastcoaststeve's pic. I tried to TIG some of the tubing years ago and it was a PITA as the wall thickness kept changing. No one else did the spiraling that I ever saw.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
themanmonkey said:
Ever so slight spiraling and only goes a few inches. It's basically lightening of the butt as seem in eastcoaststeve's pic. I tried to TIG some of the tubing years ago and it was a PITA as the wall thickness kept changing. No one else did the spiraling that I ever saw.
thanks for the pic ECS. I would imagine the "rifled" mainframe tubing was heavy? Meant for bigger frames maybe? I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to road bikes in the 80s.
 

· Bike Dork
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
FB actually it was the lighter tubing that used the rifling. SLX was SL with weight removed by way of the rifling and slightly shorter butts. SP and SPX was the same idea just starting with a heavier tube. TSX I think was the first tubeset that was its own thing I believe. I have the spec sheets around if anyone cares.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
themanmonkey said:
FB actually it was the lighter tubing that used the rifling. SLX was SL with weight removed by way of the rifling and slightly shorter butts. SP and SPX was the same idea just starting with a heavier tube. TSX I think was the first tubeset that was its own thing I believe. I have the spec sheets around if anyone cares.
interesting. so we're talking about ~.6mm tubes with rifling - so I wonder what the thickness was on the thin part.
 

· The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like I got a crash course in tubing on this one...thanks.


What I'm really curious about though is when the frame was built, (I saw Stan's Tam thread and it seems it was never nailed down), ...do the decals help with a time frame?

Any Fisher experts hiding in the weeds?


I tried to e-mail TT, but no response as of yet.



Steve
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top