Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
enter and win
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there back from doing my one lap on Team Rag Tag. What awesome weather, course, showing, gratitude, aid stations, camaraderie!
So far Team Slowmentum has gotten the early lead due to a chain situation on jms' bike...but the big news at the start was MENSO coming in first outta everyone with a :48 lap time, holy cow! He even beat all the solo guys, way to go Menso! JL (menso's dad) and I switched places so he could race with the big guns from the get-go. He turned in an impressive time of 1:02, so off I went doing a not-too-shabby 1:16 and change...and then off went John, but the chain, alas, the chain! I had to leave when Brent took off, but he looked waaaay strong, and who knows, maybe we can make up for some time with all these great racers on Team Rag Tag!
Also sightings of: CHUM, looking well, but his fiancee was playing cat & mouse with him and even circled around so they could ride together! Awwwww!
Morgan Fletcher: Stronger than strong, as per usual
OGRE: Also an impressive lap time of 1:02, and snacking on carrot cake for his future laps,
FIONA: always the world's greatest cheerleader, Happy Birthday, Fiona!
The entire teamage of Mad Cat Cycles, those peeps are the greatest
NO BALANCE: looking happy to be finished with his lap, time to put the feet up for the next go-round
THAI: preparing his race run with inside info from the racers before him
MARK the new guy, welcome to the team, you'll love it long time
VELOCIPUS: no sightings as yet...but rumor has it he'll be around tonight?

OK over & out, gotta go house sit. Happy Coolest, everyone! Race Safe!

Brain :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
Making me wish I was there Becky. Damn school.

side note: final on monday, but i pick up my new bike. lets ride this week :thumbsup:

·
enter and win
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
toadly down!

I miss you guys. I can tell you how swoopy and dusty and fun and sometimes sad this course was. It really goes deep when you're racing for such a cause....can't wait to hear the resta the writeups. It's fun to draft the singlespeed fixy guys! :)

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
It was good to see you, MTNBECA! (Just think, if you did triathlons you could be TRIBECA.) Cool is such a great scene. Talked to so many people I knew, saw some great racing. Was blown away that there were solo 24 hour race racers going faster than the solo 8 hour racers. Jimmy put on a great event, as usual, at least for the first third that I witnessed.

My race was fun and hard. My friends are all still racing. I got home at 12:30, awake at 8:45. Immediately thought of some of my night-riding buddies out there doing laps; Patrick, Brian, Steve, Jeremy, Chuck, Chad; Friends of TNR. I hope they are doing well and are having fun.

Here's a scenario; You're racing the solo 8-hour. You have just finished your 6th lap and you're not feeling so great. It's 6:48, and you have to finish at 8:00. Your 6th lap took 1:11. What do you do? That was my scenario. Luckily was able to crank out a 1:04ish last lap and finish with 8 minutes to spare.

Here's my motionbased record, with a little more race commentary.

https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5567212

Was 5th solo men, 46 minutes (I think) behind the winner. Met Vuduvegan, who's also a mutual friend of my friends Chris & Jennifer.

Here's Boggs and my 1st and 2nd laps of last year's Cool for comparison's sake. I did 4-man singlespeed 24-hour last year, but you can see the course differences. We had a different 1st lap this year than all subsequent laps.

https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5326759
https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2666987
https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2666988

Had some bike troubles; the dust and creek crossing made for squealing chains, I'm glad mine didn't break! I had to oil it three times. My fork or headset was also making some funny noises, and something felt loose, I think it's maybe inside the fork. Both are new; Reba and Cane Creek 110. That bike can wait, I'll look at it later. This morning it was a pickup of the boy from a sleepover birthday party, plus one extra kid who's with us for the day. Then it's off to my daughter's soccer game while my wife goes for a ride, then a Cinco de Mayo dinner up the street with another family. Nice way to wind down.

Here's a photo my friend Chad took with his camera phone of my friend Matthias and I, right after our race ended at 8PM. He's my teammate for TransRockies. Beers are courtesy of Murphy. Murphy, you rock. You too, Chad. I was dead meat in this photo.

Edit: I put a race report up on my team's forum.

Morgan

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Great job Morgan and Matthias. My wife vetoed me this year, but I will try to make it next year...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Ogre and Menso kicked ass!

Ogre and his teammate handily beat 9 other teams to win the 2-man ,24-hour race. 22 hours into it, Ogre was all perky and talking about how he was going to take 2 hours for the last lap and smell the roses.

Menso rode the fastest lap of all (I think), in an amazing 47 minutes. His Cal Poly SLO team handily won the college race.

Me, 5 laps, 60 miles in the 8 hour race, and 9th out of 18 masters. It's rare that I beat more than beat me.

Very fast, but dusty course. And I had a fun time hanging out with the MTBR folk.

·
Mountain Lion Bait
876 Posts
I saw a bunch of peeps coming back from that race today. Bikes looked wrecked (nuttin but red dirt.) The most I've ever done in the saddle is about six hours, and I was toast (pun intended). My hat is off to those that participate in the 24 hour races. Especially at Cool. I race the regular race there, and I'm not to sure I'd want to go bombing up or down those hills in the dark.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Team Rag Tag Rules

After almost 21 hours of racing and all of us doing two laps (except Becky, who had to leave after her one lap), we had 3 hours and 15 minutes left for the last three laps. We were within 20 minutes of second place and still fighting for third with team Unknown and TRN.
I managed a 1:03 third lap followed by Brent's fantastic 56:30 third lap putting us in second place! Daryl had to bring it home, but, alas, his 1:05 was 15 second too slow and we came in third, behind the Dork 1 and Dork 2 teams. Hard to believe that after 24 hours of racing we were a mere 15 seconds apart. Oh well, we were supposed to be there for the fun and not for the racing. I sure had fun!
We hung around for the ceremonies. Brent and I were left to accept the third price for the team. We split all the loot ;) , but send me a pm with your name and address, so I can mail you your very cool Coolest 24 hour medal.
Menso got the fastest lap price for his 47:27 second lap, and he also managed a last lap (seventh for the race) in around 49:30. Does he ever get tired?
Home again and a shower hasn't felt this good since coming back from Boggs. Hungry too: got to eat now and looking forward to a good night sleep.
Thanks J-C for organizing team Rag Tag. Double Trouble John (broken chain on lap 1 and broken light on lap 2): you still deserve a medal for finishing each lap!
Thanks to entire mtbr club for the food, drinks, bike maintenance, camping spot, and competition (JeffH finished his first lap a mere 3 seconds ahead of me after our usual back on forth, :thumbsup: )
- J.L.

·
Registered
245 Posts
What a Great Race weekend.
Just posted some race photos and pit shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

But here are a few of the weekend!!

1. Menso on a Hot Lap!!
2. Dan51 playing in the MUD :D
3. Slowmentum pacing themselves
4. Even the Dogs are COOL!! :cool:
5. A Clean Morgan

Attachments

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
Ogre's out for the count....

We waited around for the awards, finished packing up the Ogrehut, and were heading home. Stopped at Maria's in Auburn to feed him a well-deserved carne asade burrito. About 20 minutes after getting onto 80, he's out cold asleep. Got home and he finally wakes up long enough to help me park the beast and stumble into bed. I'm not expecting to see or hear from him for another 24 hours.:thumbsup:

It was really great to see so many folks out there this weekend. The 'Cool Dog', Connor's mom informed me that "we have to do the 8 hour race next year". By then she'll be back in the saddle and hopefully I'll be fast enough to not embarrass myself.

Fiona

·
Registered
92 Posts
THANK YOU Petter Miller for your spot on the team. What a kick, man i cant wait to due that again. Epic weekend, it will be tough to beat that. I have a serious race/adventure bug now and no one can understand better then ya all.

You all Rock.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thanks ibikergal for some great shots you got of me...it's was really nice getting to formally meet you, I have had a great time since being here in Calf. And the MTBR team is a great group of folks...you all did a super job this weekend...I had a blast, and sorry about the "bump" Chum...Carlos from Bike Monkey said he would adjust the results after I send him an email...I had a few personal goals I wanted to make for my first 8 hour race...now I just need to work on trying 24 hours...maybe by the end of summer (theres a fantastic 24 hour race back home at Seven Springs PA.) I did 5 laps in 7:22 Single Speed, placed 5th out of 10...this race was such an incredible experience I'll always remember it for the reasons it was put on, and my sister being there in spirit was so encouraging for me...good job everyone, c-ya at Sonoma Lake.
Ed

·
Paper or plastic?
10,286 Posts
Markatrog said:
THANK YOU Petter Miller for your spot on the team. What a kick, man i cant wait to due that again. Epic weekend, it will be tough to beat that. I have a serious race/adventure bug now and no one can understand better then ya all.

You all Rock.
Man, that was fun.

A few pics:
Some RagTag members
Chum and his fiancee taking a break
Grrrah soloing
JRM chainless... :)
Rensho (tried to take a pic of him but he was too fast)

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did anybody else get spooked by the Gorilla?

I have to admit that I did slightly and I should have known when I overheard the guy earlier saying something about spooking people at night. Then when I came off the road and saw the bike laying on it's side without a rider I should have know.

It was an awesome event. Hopefully, I'll recover enough to make it to work tomorrow.

Chris

·
Paper or plastic?
10,286 Posts
A few pics:
MTBCanuck finishing a lap (eyes of the tiger!!)
The hard life of corporate team racing. ;)
Markatrog enjoying the day
Daryl giving it all in the last lap

Attachments

·
Paper or plastic?
10,286 Posts
And finished the day by taking my son for a ride. Now I'm really tired. Thanks Jimmy for putting a great event together. It was tons of fun to hang out with everybody.

As for the race course, fast buff and dusty single track that was a total blast ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
This was a great event !

JL and I diced it out on the first lap, I was able to put Team Unknown rider in front of Rag Tag for a brief moment after getting JL on the last short climb.

Rag Tag then came back strong after putting mtb_Canuck on an IV after he shut down the pub in Cool Friday night. :rolleyes:

Morgan thanks for push on that first lap, I was just starting to feel the pain.

1 Here I am coming in at dusk Saturday night around 8:15

Attachments

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
That was fun. JustJeff thanks for organizing and getting our awesome team shirts made.:thumbsup:

Next year, no 8 hour solo for me. I felt it ruined the team camaraderie for me. Last year we were way more supportive in the group. Passing out beer to lap finishers and rooting on the outgoing racer. I missed that this year. Plus I'm way more tired than I should be :).

1 - 20 of 110 Posts