Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What made(will make) you buy your first 29" bike?

• Friends talked me into it / made me see the light (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blind trust in Wes / Gary / Nishiki made it easy

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, let's try a slightly different type of poll. Got a better one, please do post it, we can learn a lot from a good poll. Don't dare click this poll open and not vote yourself! ;-)

I chose the top option. Always felt too big for my bikes, even when the fit was ok. As I believe every should be in proportions, I welcomed the plus size wheels with great expecttion, and I never looked back, at least for XC.

·
Registered
455 Posts
"You bastards on this forum made me want one!" :p

After giving it some good thought and research I am planning my 29er build for next season. I'm currently riding a 19.5" 26er right now, so a 29er really isn't out of the question or beyond my size.

Curses ...errr, thanks... to you guys and your pics, specs, information and experiences on everything 29er. :D

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Who could refuse $1000 for a Buizz Bomb frame, CX-1 fork, Rohloff Speedhub, front Avid disc and a bunch of swanky Tom Ritchey components?

So I voted "other", since the great deal was 100% responsible for my decision.

I was already sold on the Speedhub. I was interested in the whole 29"er concept but hadn't ridden on and didn't really know what to expect.

Still remember the first time pedaling the bike around the street in front of my house, and the odd yet compelling feeling of sitting "in between" the wheels as opposed to "on top" of a 26" bike.

Am I completely sold on the concept? Yes an no. I want a 29" dual suspension, but I want to try before I buy, and I'm not particularly excited or enticed by the designs available at this time. I have no reservations about sticking with 26" wheels until I find exactly what I want.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I was riding my Crosscheck as a mountain bike for about a year with the biggest tires I could find(smoke 45c's) and loving it. This was probably four years ago or so. Those rides/races I did on the crosscheck completely sold me on the 29" concept. I did have contact with Wes when I worked at QBP though, and he was schooling me on the the whole shebang a coupla years prior to that. At that time, I do admit, I was a tad skeptical, but the thought stuck in my head. I won't go back now, 'cept for a dirt jumper/adult sized BMX for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ross Mt. Washington

My first real MTB was a Ross Mt. Washington that used 700c rims, I remember I could go anyhwhere on that thing until it was stolen.

When I got a new job I wanted to build a bike to commute to work on so I bought a Karate Monkey, now it has a suspension fork, I'm jonesing for new wheels and discs and have started to design a full suspension frame.

I had ordered a SC Blurr frame to replace my old FSR, after riding the monkey off road I canceled my order and envisioned a steel 29er w/3" of travel in the rear.

Kelly

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Well, that's an easy one. I met jimbo, who occasionally posts here, the day before the Ouachita Challenge, and we briefly discussed the merits of his rigid 29er setup for the rocky sections. After I thought about it, it made a great deal of sense. Then I saw the overall results of the race and it made more sense, even without the rigid fork factored in.

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
60% Research, 40% you [email protected]

I can remember if I stumbled on the concept first on mtbr or through a Fisher Dealer/Website. I thought it was an interesting idea, which became more interesting when my 5 year old 26" ti hardtail frame cracked a weld at the rear drop out.

I hadn't been riding the hardtail much in the previous year, since I had purchased a Ventana Salty. Instead of replacing the under used hardtail with the same thing. I opted for a 29"er. I stated my desired geometry, and I was able to upgrade to a custom 29er frame for only the difference in price of the new 26" frame verse the new 29 custom. Props to Airborne for honoring the warranty quickly with no bs.

Verdict: Ventana collecting dust and a Racer X 29er on order.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Every bike I've bought since 1999 has been sight un-seen, un-test ridden, and the only one in the area. Not including road bikes, since 1999 this has been 9 or so. When I heard about 29er's just over a year ago, it made dead-cold perfect sense. I instantly ordered a KM frame. The rest, as they say, is history.

Verdict: '04 Moots YBB Mooto- X frame sitting in the garage for 2nd week in a row. If I ever get home before 9:45PM I might take it out of the shipping box.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
I was without my MTB for a month this spring and I was riding my road bike on some single track trails. The 700c thing started to make sense. I didn't like the braking or geometry but I liked how the tires rolled over the rocks. So I'm going to give it a try... What have I done? :D

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
It's like this....

.....I bought my first 29er as soon as the monkeys were available, actually I bought it the first day QBP had them.
I started with a geared setup, liked it.

I bought another 26 SS a few months later and quit riding gears.

A few months later I rode the 29er in a 24 hour event and remembered that I prefered the larger wheel size. Went home from the race and ordered up a SS monkey

Rode the SS monkey for a long time, with stock fork, and never changed the gearing. 34X20

Decided to go with a custom for a nicer ride and fit. Bought ti SS.

Sold original geared monkey.

Bought fisher 292 frame, built with parts from geared monkey

SS monkey still chillin in the garage.

My stable is complete for now, but I may buy a "rig" for a short course racer.

That's my story.

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
CrossChecking it

Just have been riding my surly cc with 44c mutno raptors and digging it.... Even racing with it. 29ner or more like 28incher is such a blast with single speed. I ride anything with petals though but my crosscheck gets the most saddle time

·
Registered
319 Posts
size matter

At 6'4" I am not as tall as Cloxxi, and was really just a novice mtn biker. I 'd ride around town and hit the trails maybe 2wice a month. I raced the old GF HKEK once and I was the dead last Clyde. But my bike was needing some work, and I just "wanted" a new bike. I have a buddy who owns a shop and he was always having letting me ride whatever the latest and greatest was and they were all just fine bikes, but when I said it was time to actually buy a new bike, he said "I know just what you need!"

So he let me ride his brand new MootoX 29er all over Sedona for a weekend. It was so really right, it just fit--even though the frame wasn't quite big enough. I couldn't afford the moots, but as soon as I had some scratch I put in the order for the Mt Tam. It took a while to put all together, but I can't even begin to tell you how much it has revitalized my riding and my fitness in general. I even came in 4th(of 9) in clydesdale class in june in our local race.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Okay, let's try a slightly different type of poll. Got a better one, please do post it, we can learn a lot from a good poll. Don't dare click this poll open and not vote yourself! ;-)
I choose the "other" option. As it happened, the LBS where I work on Saturdays got a few GF 29ers in during the 02 model year. I must say that when I first looked at the bike, I was turned off by the big wheels, thought they looked strange. But had to admit that the thing was fast in the parking lot. Then, last summer when we were headed to North Carolina to visit the in-laws, I asked the shop-owner if I could rent a bike for the kids.......when they offered me the 2002 Supercal-29 (for $35 for the week!!!), I decided that it was too nice a bike for the kids so I rode it at Tsali and a section of the Pisgah Mountains. I was blown away by the performance..........full suspension feel in a hardtail.......rolled over objects with ease........climbed like a mountain goat.......I came back to Indiana and told the folks at the shop that I was keeping the bike. Now, I am getting my kids into the concept.

Steve

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Rode my 'crosser off-road and I was hooked

Wow, I guess this makes me the 4th person on this thread who first saw the light after taking their 'crosser offroad. I'd bought my Volpe mostly as a commute bike, with thoughts of occasionally racing it or taking it on light-duty trails.

9 months later I finally got around to taking it off road, and wondered why I'd waited so long. The roll-ability, speed and stability of the 'crosser, even shod with tame WTB All Terrainasauri, blew me away ... those traits can't all entirely be attributed to the big hoops, but it was enough to make me visualize how good those big wheels would be with fat tires on them.

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Its all MC's fault....

I got to test ride Matt Chester Mutinyman #1 when I was in Salida back in 2001....only a year after MC had sold me a 26" Utilityman :D

As much as I would like another MC, the price (but not the value for money) puts it out of range so I am going with a local (UK) builder.

So far I have talked one guy in to a Surly KM and my employers are doing a 29er singlespeed complete bike (although I have no due-date still :( )

SSP

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If riding a fat tire crosser makes some many people as for more, it puzzles me how on earth the Mtn Bike Hall of Fame first inductees could settle for 26" when looking for bigger meats. If I had $10.000 to spend, and could fill in the date on the check, I'd make it out a quarter century ago. Imagine how the world look like now? Same technology, just every tailered to 29". Everything 29", Manitou's, Specializeds, Giants, even Turners! 26" would be somehing just for tiny riders and the DH/FR/DJ/DS/4X crowd.

·
Registered
650 Posts
All I wanted was a cross bike. I have a mountainbike already, my pride and joy, everything I have ever wanted, my Ferrous 26" bike was my dream bike with everything on it I had wanted rather than what I was given or could afford. Why would I want another MTB. All I wanted was a cross bike.

So, happy with my Ferrous, I go back to see if Raoul will make me a cyclocross frame. Traditional road based geometry, steel, light. He says "how about a 29er" I am not convinced, all I want is a cross bike.

So we are at the European SS champs in 2003 and there are 2 29ers being ridden. 1 KM and a Willits. I blag a quick ride in the Willits and I try and find something wrong with it. But I can't, even the fact it has heavy touring wheels and a hybrid fork don't put me off. I'm sold.

That was in June, and it took me until winter to make my mind up exactly what I wanted.

Now I am sold. I didn't want to be. I wanted the 29er for one thing and the 26" for the other, but now the 26" lies idle, not used as much as it deserves. Now it feels, not quite right, I still love my 26" bike but it will be the last one I even buy.

P::..

·
Registered
702 Posts
Why 29?

First I'd like to say Hi all! Been lurking and learning for a while now.
So why 29? A couple of reasons, my main off road ride is a MC Utilitiman, and it's the best bike I have ever ridden. He stopped making them in favour of 29ers, that made me seriously think about the concept. The other reason is my commuter bike is an Il Pompino SS it's only shod with Conti top touring tires but it still rolls really nicely on the dirt trails I sometimes detour on when I go to work.
So I needed a new bike as my knees aren't in great shape so I thought what the heck and ordered a Vicious 29er and it's on the way right now and I can't wait :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
So LJ, you are the mysterious MC owner we have seeked.

SSP or Alex has long talked of your existance. Now you are "out" you and he can start the UK MC owners club!

We NEED to have a UK 29er meet. How about the SSEC in September?

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Thanks Phil!

nightfire said:
So LJ, you are the mysterious MC owner we have seeked.

SSP or Alex has long talked of your existance. Now you are "out" you and he can start the UK MC owners club!

We NEED to have a UK 29er meet. How about the SSEC in September?

That makes me sound like some half-crazed stalker!

A 29er meeting / beer drinking would be a cool idea.....I am thinking of a fixed-gear off-road weekend too.

A UK MC club? Well there would be 4 of us...pretty exclusive!

SSP

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.