Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know this is a can-o-worms.
But I only ride off-road with earbuds on relatively low volume so I really am attached to my sorroundings.

Now that we cleared that up, do you have a good earbud that you use that:
1. Doesn't fall off your ear
2. Good sound quality
3. Doesn't block sound (Not in-ear)

??

Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
These clip on ones are my preferred. I use one (R one when roading) and keep the other ear clear.

I've used these as well. But do not find them nearly as comfortable. Nor do they adjust well to direct the sounds to my ear, vs outside.

Definitely do NOT use buds, as they block all sound. And as hard as I sweat, I don't want to have a pool in my ear any worse than I already get.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
On mtb rides >5 hours, I go with one earbud. Probably sony or similar in quality to the clip on ones above.

never do two or on the road

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
desnaephoto said:
Definitely do NOT use buds, as they block all sound. And as hard as I sweat, I don't want to have a pool in my ear any worse than I already get.
Ohh.. I guess I misunderstood what earbuds are :)

How's the sound quality?

Thanks!

·
Monocog Masher
161 Posts
desnaephoto said:
These clip on ones are my preferred. I use one (R one when roading) and keep the other ear clear.
I second that recommedation. I use the same phones for both road and mt. and they work great. I also ride with both at a moderate volume which allows me to hear the tunes and traffic around me.

Sometimes I will leave for a mt bike ride about 30 to 60 minutes before it gets dark so half my ride with will be a night ride. I ride in a mt range near the mx border and we have a lot of UDA and drug smuggling foot traffic on the trails. It is freaky riding at night in a wooded canyon on a trail while wearing headphones.

·
Your Best Friend
5,457 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Etymotic Research Inc.

I read an article on the ER 6i in Bicycling Magazine about two years ago. The article indicated the Etyomotic Reasearch ER 6i earbud had outstanding sound quality. I was looking for headphones to use while training indoors and these delivered with flying colors. Sound quality is amazing. The price tag is stiff ($150), but you are buying a great product. I have used them while flying, using a portable DVD player, while on the indoor cycle trainer, etc. I have used these earbuds while cycling, but I seem to limit their use for those times when I have a 18 mile fire road climb ahead of me and I have little more to concentrate on than making my legs go 'round and 'round for the next three hours. I attempted to do a solo road ride once and ended up removing them about 1 mile into the ride. These buds block outside noise very well and i was not comfortable using tthem on roads with traffic.

If you are a music listener who likes to hear the music as the artist intended it to be heard, these buds are for you. If you don't care so much about quality and just want something to rattle you ear drums, most any earbud will do. Just make sure you find one that stays in place. The ER 6i stays put just fine, but my ears tend to get tired of wearing these buds after extended use (>4hrs.). Etyomic does make custom fit earpieces for some of there headphones, but you will pay through the nose for them.

Long live long rides. May your training rides be filled with the right tune.

Cheers,
BFE

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.
I am quite the audiophile at home and the office and have some expensive s#!tI use to listen to music with.
On the road, quality is less important, I must say. You don't really listen to music but more enjoy it as a soundtrack to your ride.
In that sense, I would say that "staying in place" and not blocking sound are more important and that's why I really liked some of the cheaper solutions I found.

Thanks for the tips!!

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
When I listen I ride with a single side only for road and trails. For everyone that is reading - please only use one side or keep the volume low. Can't tell you how many time I have ridden up on runners, hikers, bikers that were blasting music and couldn't hear me. I say hello, ask to come around, etc., and when I finally have to make a move to get around it scares the crap out of 'em.

Off topic - I see alot of women walking or joggin alone on the local trails with buds in. Very unsafe - someone could easily sneak up on them in the woods and they wouldn't know it until it was too late. Tell your family about it to keep em safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For me Skull Candys work great. I only use the right ear because they do block quite a bit of the noise. The quality is great and they come with three different size rubber pieces for a custom fit. For RAAM/RAW the rules require that your left ear is clear and you have to tape back or cut off the other earpiece. A RAAM team rider was killed a few years ago when he made a u-turn in the road and did not hear the car coming. I find that riding at night is a great time to zone out and listen to music especially on a lap course. At night you can see the headlights of the car coming before you see them so being able to hear is less important.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was using some buds from Sony and the sound was fantastic. Tehy're about 30 bones frmo Wal Mart. Like most, I normally just use one but there are times when I'll just let them both hang over my ears and dangle like a dingle berry.

My only issue that I've had with buds of any type is losing those damn buds sometimes. Sucks having to order extra medium ones all the time. Any one else struggle with this?

·
the Jerc
98 Posts
I ride on fire roads and would NOT use these on the road, but the $90 Bose earbuds I just picked up are pretty sweet. I was using the Shure earbuds previously ($90) and really liked them. The Shure buds came with 3 different types of tips in 3 sizes (9 tips total) and they sound pretty sweet. I changed to the Bose only after I somehow managed to get the Shure buds caught in my rear wheel while riding the trainer a few days ago. The Bose buds also come with 3 different tips (S,M,L).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love my $20 Skullcandy earbuds! Great fit, good sound, don't interfere with my glasses & can't beat the price. I tuck the left one in the collar of my jersey & usually forget it's there since it's so small & lite

·
the Jerc
98 Posts
dr.endo said:
I love my $20 Skullcandy earbuds! Great fit, good sound, don't interfere with my glasses & can't beat the price. I tuck the left one in the collar of my jersey & usually forget it's there since it's so small & lite
Actually, disregard what I wrote about the Bose buds. Most MP3's sound terrible anyway and having expensive buds makes it even worse. I'm going to try these Skullcandy earbuds sometime and I'm sure I'll be pissed because they'll probably sound good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts