Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been mixing and matching for years, just looking for pointers on this one.

Bike came with Eagle NX, I am building new wheels and found a great deal on a Deore Microspline hub and so building that up. Assuming that should work fine. If I run that with the SRAM drivetrain, what chain should I use?

·
since 4/10/2009
37,115 Posts
it'll "work" but not quite as well. Especially if you're not using a shimano chain. If you want the best shifting performance, you'll want a shimano chain. but that shimano chain won't be compatible with your existing chainring, so you'll have to change that, also. The chainring is the biggest limit. The new shimano chains are meant to interface with the ring a little differently than the earlier shimano chains (and everybody else's chains). you can sorta force semi-compatibility by using an eagle quick link instead of the shimano quick link, and I used that for awhile when I couldn't find a compatible 28t chainring. but knowing how shimano chains interface a little differently than how the eagle quick link does, I had a sinking suspicion that the eagle quick link was going to affect wear patterns long-term. the way I treat it now is that I carry eagle quick links in my emergency kit so they can work with my own chain OR any other 12spd chain that someone else is using, so I can lend them out, but after I get home, I switch them out for shimano quick links for longer term use. that is, assuming I replace one in the field.

IMO, best to stick with SRAM stuff, or stuff meant to be compatible with SRAM.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have long been mixing and matching at the cassette level, keeping the shifter/deraileur paired. SRAM and Shimano 12 speed cassettes have the same spacing and so are cross compatible from a spacing standpoint, i know that part. I have an XTR set up that i briefly ran with a XX1 crank/sram chainring while i awaited an HG compatible chain ring, so i know that link trick. I guess i could use that here and swap in an HG chain. What I am curious about is whether anyone can report on using a SRAM chain w a shimano cassette and sram drivetrain. I have not found my xtr set up be noticeably better than a sram set up, even though I know shimano has the ramps on its cassette. I’ll try it out and report back.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,115 Posts
I have long been mixing and matching at the cassette level, keeping the shifter/deraileur paired. SRAM and Shimano 12 speed cassettes have the same spacing and so are cross compatible from a spacing standpoint, i know that part. I have an XTR set up that i briefly ran with a XX1 crank/sram chainring while i awaited an HG compatible chain ring, so i know that link trick. I guess i could use that here and swap in an HG chain. What I am curious about is whether anyone can report on using a SRAM chain w a shimano cassette and sram drivetrain. I have not found my xtr set up be noticeably better than a sram set up, even though I know shimano has the ramps on its cassette. I'll try it out and report back.
the sram chain won't match up as well with the shimano cassette. THAT aspect right there would be the real nuts and bolts of HG+. how the chain mates up with the cassette. I've seen rumblings in older threads that doing that pairing gives worse shifting than sram-sram or HG+-HG+ (chain-cassette) pairings.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, that was what I was wondering. I guess I can buy the Shimano HG+ chain and do the link trick but I guess i can also put a HG+ chain ring on the NX crankset too. I looked at the spec and I guess those are direct mount now so can easily find a HG+ ring with SRAM direct mount ift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.