Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Changed over to a new wheelset the other day and I'm having issues with the jockey cage of the eagle derailleur pinging the spokes under load in the 50t sprocket. I had no issues on the previous wheelset with the same cassette/rd.

I also noticed my chain line has shifted further inboard with these new wheels which now causes chain drop in the largest 3 sprockets when backpedaling

I'm running a 135mm qr rear end.

These symptoms seem to suggest the hub on the new wheel does not maintain the same positioning of the freehub in the frame vs the old wheel. I didn't think there could be so much variation.

Is it safe to use a cassette spacer behind the large sprocket carrier to move the cassette outboard a couple of mm's to help overcome both these issues?

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,203 Posts
I wouldn't ride it like that. If your derailleur is contacting the spokes, it's a matter of time before things go very badly. Most likely either something is loose or the wheel is improperly seated.

The backpedal problem is the least of your worries.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I adjusted the limit screw to pull the rd farther away from the spokes which has stopped the pinging and I've reindexed everything. Backpedaling issue still remains.

I'm still confused though about how there could be such a significant difference between wheels running the same axle standard. I've noticed the space between the 11t sprocket and the end of the axle is also larger on the new wheel.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Road Shimano 11 speed freehubs are 1.8mm longer than mtb Shimano freehubs. If the new wheel has a road type freehub, you'll need a 1.8mm spacer with an mtb cassette.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
Just because the axle spacing is the same, does not mean that the actual dimensions of the hub don't vary. There are variances in tolerances from wheel to wheel. It's quite common to have to readjust the rear derailleur when swapping wheels. Unless you are using 2 of the same exact wheel.

I have to do an adjustment every time I switch my wheels on my road bike for a dedicated trainer wheel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Road Shimano 11 speed freehubs are 1.8mm longer than mtb Shimano freehubs. If the new wheel has a road type freehub, you'll need a 1.8mm spacer with an mtb cassette.
Yeah I did think that maybe the wrong freehub had been fitted ... It is a MTB wheelset. Measuring the free hub length, it's about .5mm shorter than my old one. If I add a spacer I'm not left with many threads to torque the cassette down on.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just because the axle spacing is the same, does not mean that the actual dimensions of the hub don't vary. There are variances in tolerances from wheel to wheel. It's quite common to have to readjust the rear derailleur when swapping wheels. Unless you are using 2 of the same exact wheel.

I have to do an adjustment every time I switch my wheels on my road bike for a dedicated trainer wheel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks that is good to know, like I mentioned I resolved the spoke pinging by adjusting the limit screw. What is annoying though is the chain line is crap and I'm going to have to space the chain ring closer to the frame to straighten it out. It's an xt asymmetric 4x96 crankset. Eyeballing it I'd say I need at least 3mm of spacing. Not sure I have bolts long enough spare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.