Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent the wife's Surly Ogre (SRAM Eagle GX) to the local bike shop for some new tires. When she got the bike back she immediately noticed that the bike makes a very audible clicking sound when she's in the 5th cog in from the frame. No other gear exhibits this issue -- just the 5th cog.

The clicking sound can also be felt through the pedals and sounds like the chain is bouncing like it's about to change over to another cog.

The bike worked totally fine before going to the shop.

I'd rather not go through the hassle of hauling it back to the shop but I'm a total n00b to bicycle maintenance. Any idea as to where I should start? Maybe one of these adjustment screws or should I look elsewhere?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. 5th cog, chain "hangs" on the 4th until tension pulls it down, but only on some teeth. You can play with cable tension, but then it messes up other gears. It's quite annoying...

EDIT:
I have NX drivetrain.

·
Registered
14,529 Posts
None of those screws can fix your problem, I'd recommend not messing with them. Derailleur hanger alignment, cable tension, or a bent derailleur is likely to blame. Cable tension is easiest to check but I'd bet on the hanger.

·
Magically Delicious
9,196 Posts
^^^ It does sound like a possible derailleur hanger, but odd that would happen at the LBS.

Could try tweeking the barrel nut, but count your clicks so you can go back to where you started if that doesn't work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Found this:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found this:
Thanks for the link -- it's an interesting read. Doesn't look good for a fix, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
None of those screws can fix your problem, I'd recommend not messing with them. Derailleur hanger alignment, cable tension, or a bent derailleur is likely to blame. Cable tension is easiest to check but I'd bet on the hanger.
Weird that the problem would appear immediately after a tire change.

·
Registered
14,529 Posts
Weird that the problem would appear immediately after a tire change.

That is odd, maybe check to make sure the thru-axle is torqued correctly. Also it's possible that the derailleur got bumped in storage when it was at the shop.

GX level sram can be a pretty good drivetrain but they are sensitive to hanger alignment, the closer to perfect the better. The ones I check are rarely perfect and often a centimeter or 2 off. Even on new bikes.

At any rate, always worth checking ime.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
That is odd, maybe check to make sure the thru-axle is torqued correctly. Also it's possible that the derailleur got bumped in storage when it was at the shop.

GX level sram can be a pretty good drivetrain but they are sensitive to hanger alignment, the closer to perfect the better. The ones I check are rarely perfect and often a centimeter or 2 off. Even on new bikes.

At any rate, always worth checking ime.
Centimeter or millimeter? 1 cm is huge in the world of derailleur hangers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Decided to take a closer look at the issue before hauling it back to the bike shop.

I noticed the rear wheel was not aligned dead center in the chaistays but was over to drive-side by about 5mm. The clicking noise went away as soon as I centered the wheel. To make sure I wasn't losing my mind, I moved the wheel off-center again (towards drive-side) and sure enough the noise is back -- but only on the 5th cog.

Just for kicks, I moved the wheel off-center again but this time towards the non-drive side and yeah, you guessed it -- clicking only on the 5th cog -- all other cogs were fine.

Totally bizarre if ya ask me why only this cog.

Dunno if this is a permanent fix or if the issue will be back during the next ride -- only time will tell. Either way, on my wife's Surly Ogre it requires the wheel to be as close to dead-center as possible for a click-free ride.

Fixing dirt bikes is way simpler...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts