Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 2018 Trek Fuel EX 7 that came with NX 1x11 Groupset. If I wanted to upgrade to 1x12 GX eagle... I thought I read I wouldn't have to replace the crank/chainring. Is this true? Would I just need:

- XD driver (already purchased used)
- GX eagle cassette
- GX deruailler
- GX 12 speed chain
- GX 12 speed shifter?

If using the nx crank/chainring isn't a hack, I might pull the trigger. Would still want everything running optimally.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,337 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have a 2018 Trek Fuel EX 7 that came with NX 1x11 Groupset. If I wanted to upgrade to 1x12 GX eagle... I thought I read I wouldn't have to replace the crank/chainring. Is this true? Would I just need:

- XD driver (already purchased used)
- GX eagle cassette
- GX deruailler
- GX 12 speed chain
- GX 12 speed shifter?

If using the nx crank/chainring isn't a hack, I might pull the trigger. Would still want everything running optimally.
As far as I can tell, Eagle 12spd chains will work on chainrings meant for 11spd. As I understand it, the fancy Eagle chainrings are largely just for improvements in wear life. Hell, even the Shimano 12spd chain will work on an 11spd chainring, so long as you use an Eagle quick link.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.