Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding recently and was having some drivetrain issues. The wheel was not rotating well and had a lot of resistance when spinning. Once I noticed it I started heading out thinking I had a bearing in my rear hub starting to go south.

In my 15 years of riding I've never had a situation where my cassette came loose... but that's what happened today. The cassette had come loose and was rubbing on the inside of the derailleur hanger. Its bad to the point where the face plate and the retaining ring fell off the cassette.

I've been looking around through some SRAM docs trying to figure out what the purpose of the retaining ring that sits on top of the 10spd cog is. Does anyone know? The cassette still seems incredibly sturdy even after it fell off. I'm trying to determine if I can still use the cassette until I get a new one or until I can get the replacement parts I wore out.

You can see the retaining ring on the cassette in the top picture, it came right off with what was remaining of the plate in front of it in the second picture.

Iron Pattern Metal Steel Aluminium

Jewellery Metal Circle Silver Natural material

Teal Turquoise Aqua Machine Engineering

Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Rim Bicycle part Bicycle tire

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
You could most likely find that spacer and snap ring at a good hardware supplier. With that I'd be afraid the groove the ring snaps in is all buggered up and will no longer capture the ring properly. I'd also take a good look at the rest of the cassette and try to figure what pushed the ring out to begin with.

*The ring holds the threaded lockring to the cassette. You can actually separate that piece from the cassette to clean it etc. if need be. Here with the proverbial volcanic moon dust that can get bound up making it difficult to impossible to spin.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thank you, once that retaining ring is removed do you know how to remove that piece from the cassette? I was looking at it yesterday and I didn't see anything that jumped out at me on how to remove it. I've also been searching around the intrawebs and I have found anything on this either.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that inner sleeve will not come out without taking the 50 off. Sram warrantied my xo1 cassette when that inner sleeve came loose on mine.
SRAM stated that the retaining clip and face plate on it are an integral part of the cassette and how the barrel screws onto the hub body. They dont make replacement parts and basically I need a new cassette. Lucky me!

·
addict
347 Posts
SRAM stated that the retaining clip and face plate on it are an integral part of the cassette and how the barrel screws onto the hub body. They dont make replacement parts and basically I need a new cassette. Lucky me!
I just discovered the exact same issue. I have never seen anything like it, until today. I tightened the cassette, and it seems solid. Will it come apart if I try to ride with it?

·
Registered
183 Posts
exactly how does the cassette come apart? I've removed the snap ring but could not get it to move. I'm assuming it takes a press to separate it and also the 50T will go with it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This was a blast from the not to long ago past. I still have the cassette sitting in the parts bin, structurally it seems good and I'd use it if I was in a pinch. What really shocking to me is how much sh!t my basement has accumulated in 3 short years!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts