Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Eastons last year for CX, then built a new Air9C and put them on that bike.

I needed another wheelset for the CX bike, bought some Crests to put on the MTB and the Eastons back on the CX bike, but haven't switched yet since they are sealed up.

Now I am not so sure which to use for which.

Curious would you would put on which?
Internal widths on crests are 21 vs 19 on eastons.
Seems like the narrow Easton would be better for cx for a tighter fit, but would a wider give more contact patch, making that the better choice?

First world problem.

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
With the right tires the Stan's rims can provide a little better performance. They have a much lower sidewall than the Eastons so there's more room for the tire to both expand and compress over bumps. There are many people riding Stan's Crest's and Race Golds in cross races. Note, the Vittoria TNT tire, which fits fine on the Easton will be next to impossible to mount on the Crest and if you do get it on it will drop the spoke tension considerably. The Crests are really designed for tube-type cross tires and some tubeless ready cross tires like Kenda's SCT tires.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is good info.

So UST would be worse than any SCT, I assume because the bead? I was wanting to try the slant six this year already, or the stans ravens, or rocket ron. I used Challenge open tubulars with latex tubes last year in cross and was not unhappy, just thought tubeless would be safer (150 lbs and do 30psi)

I would imagine the difference between wheels is negligible on the mtb? I have always used the tubeless ready on that since they are lighter and I always use sealant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.