Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really looking forward to riding 50 miles of sweet Park City trails in less than two weeks and trying to improve my time from the 50-mile race last August. I am hoping for a little less pain and a little more speed this year. Of course if it doesn't hurt maybe I'm not going fast enough. :)

Any recent info on the trail conditions for the 2 ½ stages of the 50-mile race? Any changes to the 50-mile course?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think the trails should be in excellent shape - we've been getting some rain, which is bizarre for mid-summer salt lake city - hopefully we will get a lil more and it will keep the trails from turning into dustbowls.

I've ridden a number of the PC trails in the last couple o weeks and they are definitely looking good. The flowers are also starting to go off....

I am not exactly sure about the course - I think there might be some changes to the 50 mile course. But the first stage should be about the same and alot of the second stage too. Lots of development going on...

I am looking forward to taking 15-30 minutes off last years time. Hopefully I am not talking sheeit to myself :)

·
Grizzly
695 Posts
I will be there. I am looking forward to it as well. So far this summer the singletrack in the whole region has been in great shape. After the 15th, when the course will be marked, I am sure more details on the route will be posted.

I know Boris is excited about some of the changes.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
So question for you guys who are dong this. If you'd never done an endurance race before and were looking to start do you think it would be better to try the 50 mile first time around then next time try the 100 mile?

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
LyNx said:
So question for you guys who are dong this. If you'd never done an endurance race before and were looking to start do you think it would be better to try the 50 mile first time around then next time try the 100 mile?
In this case, hell yea! The E50 and E100 courses are nearly all singletrack - none of the miles come easily. For example, even though the elevation is much lower than the Firecracker 50, the fast times on the E50 course run about an hour longer (maybe more) than those of the Firecracker - and the Firecracker isn't exactly an easy course.

I've done a few hundies, and the E100 is easily the most physically demanding of the bunch (not to be confused with the most mentally demanding: DGO 100). After doing the 50 last year, I bought a new bike to better handle the 100 mile course, that's how much the 50 impressed me.

Unless you are a genetic mutant, doing the E100 as your first endurance event would probably be your last;)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LyNx said:
I was in a similar position in 2005 and I am definitely glad that I did the 50-mile version last August. For my experience level and conditioning at the time the 50-mile was physically and mentally challenging. As hairball_dh said, there are no "easy miles" on this course where you can turn the brain off and just pedal.

This year I am doing the 50-mile in July and then the 100-mile in August. Everyone has different goals and abilities but I know that I need to "build up" to the 100-miler if I want to finish it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
August E100 Race

I believe the August portion of E100 has a 50 mile option. Is that true and is it the same course as the July event?

I have never done an endurance race but just did a 7 hr. ride with 6,000 vert over 40 miles, so am hoping I can do 50.

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts
I'll be at the E50 this year and back again for the E100 with designs to go a little faster than last year.

You can do the E100 for sure. If you treat it with the upmost respect and be focused on pacing, fueling and finishing - not going fast or sticking to splits, then you can finish it. The time cut offs for each stage are generous and bail out options frequent and easy. In fact the ease of bailing out on this course I think adds to the DNF rate. Finishing 50 or 75 miles is still a major day out and accomplishment - why not try it?

LW

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,772 Posts
E100 -- as tough as they come...

hairball_dh said:
I've done a few hundies, and the E100 is easily the most physically demanding of the bunch (not to be confused with the most mentally demanding: DGO 100).
I find myself disagreeing with you again! In my opinion, the E100 is both more physically and mentally demanding than the DGO 100 or Leadville (my only other off-road 100 milers to compare it with). I went to the E100 more fit and in-form than I've ever been and was just hammered by the E100 course -- but then I'm not technically proficient and put most of my miles in on gravel roads and double track. I'm still wondering if I've got either the physical or mental strength to go back and beat that course into submission. I might need to sacrafice a goat or something to the singletrack gods before trying it again...

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
PeT, I'm shocked

PeT said:
I find myself disagreeing with you again! In my opinion, the E100 is both more physically and mentally demanding than the DGO 100 or Leadville (my only other off-road 100 milers to compare it with). I went to the E100 more fit and in-form than I've ever been and was just hammered by the E100 course -- but then I'm not technically proficient and put most of my miles in on gravel roads and double track. I'm still wondering if I've got either the physical or mental strength to go back and beat that course into submission. I might need to sacrafice a goat or something to the singletrack gods before trying it again...
Well, not really. I wouldn't expect you to agree with anything I said based on the past - but it's all good. I will explain what I mean though ...the E100 is mentally easy from the standpoint that it has killer scenery and awesome singletrack to keep you on your toes. The Durango race, OTOH, is primarily on dirt roads. Being a local and knowing of all the sweet trails in the area, well that just killed me last year. THAT was mentally difficult.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
So what's the course conditions like up there in Park City? What type of trail surface - hardpack, loose, gravel...? What sort of tyres do you guys run.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dear Friends,

The final week before our July 22 event is here!

Due to the big construction projects it has taken us extra time to re-rout the racecourse and still provide 100 Miles of beautiful single track. I am happy to report that the racecourse looks even better and more rider friendly than last year. We have all trails marked and ready for the events, thanks to many volunteers who helped me during the week.

All racecourse maps and directions with the new changes are on our web site. I had a lot of help from Greg Roth from www.singletracktreks.com. Thank you Greg, you are a real trooper.

Registration is going very well. You still can register on-line until this Friday, or at Pre EVENT Registration on July 21.
If you just did the 12 Hour event, you still can register for our two other events to become a TRIPLE CROWN SERIES MEMBER. You will receive an EXTRA Award package, valued at over $120, with MAXXIS tire, TIMBERLAND shoe gift certificate and HEADSWEATS The E100 race hat.

Please review the Athletes Schedule on our web site.

This event's SWAG will include a Wristband from Challenge Athletes Foundation, brochures from our sponsors, Hammer Nutrition samples, One Raffle ticket, a pair of socks "JANS/White Pine" and The E 100 water bottle.

Pre Registration is mandatory. We will have free cold Budweiser Beer and RED BULL for racers at the finish lines at DV / 50 M / and The Canyons /Team Relay/.

Please come for the Awards ceremony on SUNDAY to receive awards and to win raffle prizes from our sponsors.
Buy extra raffle tickets and win more prizes!

It would be useful to find some The E 100 participants who own the Garmin Edge 205/305 or Garmin 60CSx GPS units and are willing to collect track data and allow us to upload the data to MotionBased.com and download the data to mapping software. We would like to collect data of the individual stages during training rides and during the actual race. Please contact Stan Plaisier at splaisi[email protected] or 435-655-0789 to coordinate the data collection if you are interested.

Study the course, be healthy and we will see you this Friday.

Cheers,

Boris Lyubner

www.TheE100.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.