Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dear Friends,

The week of our first event, the 12 Hours of Endurance, is upon us!
We have already surpassed last year's registration total, with more racers signing up every day. Yes, you still can register online at Active.com (see the link on our web site, www.thee100.com) or the day before the race, Friday, June 23rd, at The National Ability Center.
Some important information on the registration form:
A. Your date of birth;
B. Your club or team website address (We will have a team point competition with links to your team website.)
C. Don't forget to mark the Single Speed category, if applicable.

There will be NO race day registration!

We have made a few minor changes to this year's racecourse. Please see our updated MAP AND DIRECTIONS on the website. We are confident that the course changes will make for a faster, more fluid lap. The racecourse will be marked on Friday for those of you who want to get a feel for the great singletrack that makes up the Round Valley loop.

All competitors MUST check-in and attend the pre-race meeting (MANDATORY for solo racers and team captains) at 6:30 PM Friday, June 23rd. At the meeting you will sign waivers and receive your bib numbers.
Please see the Athlete Schedule at www.thee100.com for more details.

We will have a Park City TV team on site with their cameras rolling, starting on Friday June 23rd. Participants in all three events who want to be in future The E100 event videos please introduce yourself to them.

After the race we will have our awards ceremony and raffle. We have prizes to give away from our incredible 2006 sponsors:
Headsweats
Hammer Nutrition
Park City Mountain Resort
The Canyons Resort
Pharmanex
Thule
Timberland
Full Speed Ahead
Time Sport
Maxxis Tires
Smith Optics

One raffle ticket comes with your race entry fee, but why stop at one? Raise your chances of winning great prizes and buy more raffle tickets at the venue!

And finally, to cool you down after the race we will have free samples of Red Bull and Budweiser Beer!

We have been looking forward to our 2006 events all winter long. It is time to kick off The E100 Series, and the summer racing season with the 12 Hours of Endurance!

We will see you this weekend!

Boris

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry I am gonna miss this one Gents. I got a big family trip going to meet some friends in oregon, do the creampuff, crater lake, etc. I want to do the E100 12 hour so bad, but it ain't gonna happen this year.

Tom, Ed - looking forward to mix it up later this summer with you guys at the 50 and 100 miler. Road a single speed 29er the other day - You guys better watch out, I could tell it really suits me :madman:

Boris - YOU DA MAN!!! :thumbsup:
the E100 race series is awesome, the best in the west!!!!

·
See Spot bike
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks

Soylent Green said:
The weather is predicted to be hot and sunny all week as well as Saturday. I expect the trail will be mostly hard pack with a rocky downhill section. Most of the SS riders I know from the area will be running 32x16 - 32 x 20, whatever they usually ride. There's really only one section where you might spin out if you're running 32 x 20 so I don't think you'll really lose much running an easier gear.
Thanks for the good info, I think I am going to run a 34 x 19 or a 32 x 18 I'll know after I ride the trail on friday.

I will defiantly stop by and say Hi, I will be on the Silver and Black SPOT.

Dave

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
ucme4dk said:
Chris,

We're thinking about coming up and throwing water balloons at you as you ride by:thumbsup:

Good Luck!!!
If it's hot that will feel good! You can come keep my wife and dog company too :) Any idea a good place to park the Honda Hilton tonight when we go to sleep? Can we park at the NAC?

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
E100 - 12 Hour Race Report

Simple put this race rocked! We arrived at the National Ability Center at 6:00 am. It was a pleasantly cool Park City morning.

The National Ability Center is an incredible venue for this 12 hour race. The NAC provides access to Round Valley trails. These trails are a great resource for Park City. The trails here are rippin' fast and fun.

The NAC is also a very cool place - they are committed to helping all individuals develop skills for outdoor recreation. At the race the NAC had some hand cycles that you could try (at least for those who didn't race.) As a side note, a portion of the race registration fee went to support this incredible organization.

The course started with a Le Mans style start requiring the racers to run up a double track, find their bike, mount their ride, and continue climbing up to gain the trail that would take them to the start of the race. The Le Mans style start is a great way to spread the pack.

I race as part of a duo team and I left it to my partner to start the race. So I got to watch as everyone else ran and then rode past the pits. There was quite a bit of dust kicked up by the initial riders, but after they past dust was never an issue in the race.

Our plan was simple, lay down a couple of quick laps and then back it off. Our goal was 13 laps.

The riding for my first lap was exceptional. It was fast and after 10 minutes there were no riders either in front or behind me. I couldn't believe the race spread out so well after the dusty start.

The course itself is great. 10 miles and over 1,300' of climbing per lap. The course is broken into a series of climbs and descents making the course very fast and fun.

Our race progressed as planned. We each laid down a couple of quick laps and then backed off the pace. All was good until my 4 lap when I flatted on the backside. It was a quick tire change, but it probably cost us 5 minutes.

The duo category was very close. All top 4 teams were within 13 minutes of each other! We did get our 13 lap goal and missed a 14th lap by 8 minutes for a 3rd place in the duo male category.

Strong work by everyone who raced. Off the chart congrats to Dave Harris, who racing solo, laid down 14 laps! That's just sick. Linda Wallenfels placed 4th overall in the solo category kicking some major you-know-what.

Also, crazy single speeder Rich Mularski laying down 12 laps and winning the single speed category. That's over 15,000 vert and 120 miles all with a single gear. My knees just ache thinking about those numbers - Isn't Florida flat??

The preliminary race results were also posted online the same day as the race. That's very nice to see.

Thanks to Boris who put on this race, and will also be running 2 other outstanding races as part of the e100 series this year. This race rocked (and the Red Bull and Budweiser afterwards was a great way to end the day).

Cheers!

·
Registered
136 Posts
This was my second year doing this and it was a good time once again. There were some really amazing riders there this year.

I planned on 11 laps in the solo category but unfortunately things didn't go the way I expected.

Last year I spent too much time in the pit after each lap and that cost me toward the end, so I decided to stick with 5 minute breaks between laps and follow a meticulous food/electrolyte/hydration schedule. The first 6 laps went by comfortably, basically on time, and as expected as I followed my food list. I wasn't very hungry finishing Lap 7 and went out with only water. Big mistake. I ran out of energy and turned into a zombie on the second climb, struggling to finish the lap. I had to take an extended break after lap 8 to replenish the calorie store.

By the way, Cup-O-Ramen + Chocolate Ensure + Funyan chasers is an awesome pick me up. Lap 9 went by without a hitch. However, the evil butt chaffe had become an almost unbearable problem. It had been bugging me since the 6th lap but now I was yelping on every bump. That long descent on the backside with all the rocks was not hardtail friendly and took it's toll on my backside..

After a quick break before lap 10, I headed out strong. I would have only 55 minutes to reach the cut-off time. That would be a fast lap for me given the time of day and my condition. After the second climb I knew I wasn't going to make it. I missed the cut-off by 10 or so minutes. Part of me was relieved.... :)

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent seat for these types of things? I seem to always get "torn up".

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Back home...

Marni and I got back to Colorado tonight. Extended race report coming on my blog but the short version was:

11 laps, 110 miles, 14,400 vertical feet, 3rd in Solo singleseed catagory and would have been 3rd in solo Male 20-29 vs the gearies. Very happy with my ride and learned a lot in my first 12 hour. It was HOT out there but my training had me well prepared with only a few small changes to come.

Nice to meet all you bloggers and MTBRer's out there! :thumbsup:

·
See Spot bike
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
GreenGoat said:
However, the evil butt chaffe had become an almost unbearable problem. It had been bugging me since the 6th lap but now I was yelping on every bump. That long descent on the backside with all the rocks was not hardtail friendly and took it's toll on my backside..

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent seat for these types of things? I seem to always get "torn up".
This will take care of your chaffe problem, I also ride a hardtail and didn't even have the slightest problem in this department. After the 6 th lap I added my 2nd handfull of butt butter to my back side and kept going. For me this is a must have on my bike, like King headsets and time pedals they never let me down.

hope this helps.

http://www.fizik.it/catalog.aspx?subid=gobi_wing_flex

·
Registered
612 Posts
Great race, great people

The E100 12 hour race was a great event filled with great people. Everyone I met before, during, and after the event was super friendly and supportive.

My goal going into this race was to complete 10 laps and I made it a point to share this goal with friends at home so that there would nowhere to hide if I didn't get it done. In one of the hardest days in my cycling career I did in fact complete 10 laps and now have my first 12 hour solo mtb race under my belt. And there will be more. :)

This race looked so simple on paper: Set up an organized pit area, stop every two laps to refill Camelbak with cold water and grab a new Perpetuem bottle, lube chain after lap 6, and keep the heart rate below 160 at all times.

The 4am wake-up was rude but necessary to have time to eat and set up my pit area since I was flying solo in Park City. I scored a great pit location 50 yards past the start/finish line and set up my little home for the next 13 hours. By design, there was no shade, no chair, no tunes, no disco ball, and therefore no reason to spend a lot of time there.

Laps 1-4
7:00am….GO! Woohoo! Mtb bike racing is fun. My legs felt great on the climbs and I was passing a few people on the rocky backside downhill. I was able to keep the heart rate around 160 or less and started taking in calories 30 minutes into the race. My lap times for the first four laps were between :58 and 1:03. The pit stop after lap two was less than two minutes and the bike was working great although the dusty conditions were leaving the drive train pretty squeaky already.

Laps 5-8
The rush of the start and the excitement of the race has worn off by now and little pains in the back, hands, and feet begin to show themselves. By the 6th lap I have settled into a groove and I am consistently seeing the same three other solo male riders (Green Goat, Robert from SLC) around me during my laps. As I left my pit for lap 7 and everything seemed normal. The initial climb is gradual and can be done in the middle ring but as I climbed I felt the twinge of the dreaded INNER THIGH CRAMP…Fa'ck! The inner thigh cramp is my nemesis and I do battle with it every friggin' time I race a long event. I had been taking 4 Endurolytes per hour and I upped it to 6 when the cramps started. By occasionally jumping off and walking/running next to the bike to stretch things out I was able to prevent the cramps from becoming a full-blown lockdown. When I stopped in my pit area after lap 8 I was feeling very good about achieving my goal of 10 laps. I was tired and beat up but I did not have a doubt that I was going to do 10.

Lap 9
The wheels can come off SO fast. I headed out at 4:05pm for lap 9 in a daze. I only spent about 5 minutes in the pit but at this point it was HOT and I was just not feeling "right". I had been taking Perpetuem all day and a change sounded good so I took a bottle of Heed for lap 9. I am not sure if it was the heat, overall fatigue, the addition of Heed (which I drink all of the time with no issues), or all of the above, but my stomach revolted. For almost all of lap 9 I couldn't take in any calories or even sip plain cold water. For the remainder of my painfully slow 9th lap my brain was busy cranking out rationalizations to quit.

Post-Lap 9 Pit Stop
The cutoff to begin your last lap is 6:15pm and when I limped into my pit after lap 9 it was 5:35pm. So, according to the rules, I had plenty of time to head out for my 10th lap. When I dropped my bike next to the pit after lap 9 I thought I was done. As I stood there I was so tired and I had ridden farther than I ever had on a mtn bike but I didn't feel good about my race yet. I told people my goal was 10 laps. I laid it out there on purpose. I may not be fast like my hero Jay P. but I am stubborn so I prepared for one more lap. I chewed four TUMS, drank some cold water and headed out for one last lap.

Lap 10
Note to self: Just keep the legs turning and do not stop. By the second climb I had caught a single-speeder named Chris who was on his 11th lap and had really emptied his tank as he could barely talk. Seeing this guy pushing himself like this was inspiring. Talking to a fellow rider who has suffered as you have all day is like therapy and I felt a surge of energy...thanks Chris! I rode the last 1/3rd of lap 10 on an emotional high knowing that I had achieved my goal. I crossed the finish line at 7:07pm for a 10th-in-class finish and a personal victory.

Some random thoughts & observations
1) There were a LOT of fast riders on 29" hardtails. Hmmm.
2) TUMS will be with me every time I race from now on.
3) Inner thigh cramps suck.

Great job to everyone who raced this day!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey dave, I'm glad to hear you pulled out that 10th lap. When I saw you finishing lap 9, I thought the leg cramping had done you in. Awesome job!!!!

I kept getting a hint of cramps but they never settled in thank god.
Those final laps were definately fuzzy. I remember mumbling to folks to go around and just sort of fixated on my front wheel. The downhill on the backside was my nemesis the whole day. I couldn't seem to get my speed up to a comfortable level without worry of wrecking. Oh well, something to work on for next year!

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts
It is always interesting reading different reports of the same race. Mine is on my blog with a few photos.

Thanks to everybody who said hi and chatted on Saturday. It was great to put a face and bike to many of the names I see here on mtbr and blogs and even more fun to ride on the course with a few.

Biggest thanks go to Boris and his family for putting on a first class event for us to rumble at. Next up is the E-50. I'll be there.

LW

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dear friends of The E 100,

Our 12 Hour race was a really wonderful and exciting event. I have started to receive a lot of thank you emails and phone calls from racers.
I would not have been able to pull the race together without a great deal of help from my family, Andy Wheeler our volunteer coordinator, and all of the generous volunteers who gave of their time to help make Saturday a great day.
To those of you who volunteered, let me say, "Thank you!" I know I speak for the racers when I say that your efforts are greatly appreciated.

It was very rewarding to organize this event in partnership with the National Ability Center and Expo for disabled athletes. I met and talked with some of them during our race. They were very grateful to be associated with the event and were checking results and asking a lot of questions. We raised over $800 for the NAC disabled cycling program!
Thank you to all our racers for making this possible.

Our timing company did an excellent job and results were posted on our web site Sunday the 25th. Check them out to see just how tough the competition was.

This year's race was very challenging, exciting and unpredictable in every category. Congratulations to all our winners in each category and age group.
David Harris's strategy paid off with an incredible solo course record of 14 laps, the same number as the duo and four person teams. Lynda Wallenfels was untouchable in the female category with a fantastic record of 13 laps and an overall Fourth place in Solo category.

A Defining highlight of this year's 12 Hour race was the showcase of GIRL POWER! Both the Duo and 4 person winning teams were Co-ed teams. Second place Duo team was also Co-ed plus a Single Speed.
Jill Adelstein, a very strong solo racer from Colorado, also showed true grit when she painfully crashed, breaking her thumb and collarbone. Jill we wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you back on the trails soon.

Joaquim Hailer, who took several hundreds amazing pictures of the event has them available at his website: http://www.joaquimhailer.com/findphoto.php?eventid=114
The Photos are really wonderful, and capture the emotion and spirit of the day. Thank you Joaquim!

I very much appreciate your kind letters and phone calls. We need to make this event grow to make my wife happy (she is not a bike rider). Please spread the good word about it with your friends, in your cycling club and on the MTBR Forums. Mention it when you order products form our sponsors, or in your local bike shops. The good word will find it's way around and it will be great publicity for The E 100 events.

Meanwhile, let's keep riding and I will see you at The E100 Team Relay and 50 Mile solo race on July 22.

Warm wishes,

Boris

www.theE100.com

·
Registered
32 Posts
This was my second event in as many years involving The E100 and Park City Mtn Biking ,you definately get a feel that this series The E100 has the potential to be one of the areas premier cycling events,, last year I showed up on the SS and did the 50 in July (*** which I strongly advise****) if you intend on doing the 100 later in August ..This will give you a true taste as to what The 100 is all about . speaking as a SS'er from FL no-less ..The E50 was a great way for me to decide gearing and Pain, I answered alot of my own questions as too how much climbing and what type of gear/nutrition etc..Regardless Boris and company do an excellent job on course layout and logistics ..If you are one of those Endurance types or simply just want a long day on the bike on some of the best singletrack in the state, Then The E100 is definately a must do ....see ya in August

·
Registered
32 Posts
The E100 50 and 12 hour

This was my second event in as many years involving The E100 and Park City Mtn Biking ,you definately get a feel that this series The E100 has the potential to be one of the areas premier cycling events,, last year I showed up on the SS and did the 50 in July (*** which I strongly advise****) if you intend on doing the 100 later in August ..This will give you a true taste as to what The 100 is all about . speaking as a SS'er from FL no-less ..The E50 was a great way for me to decide gearing and Pain, I answered alot of my own questions as too how much climbing and what type of gear/nutrition etc..Regardless Boris and company do an excellent job on course layout and logistics ..If you are one of those Endurance types or simply just want a long day on the bike on some of the best singletrack in the state, Then The E100 is definately a must do ....see ya in August

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi mtbr -

Here are some photos from the 2006 12 Hours of the E100 race to give you all an idea of the course and scenery. All of the images from the event (as well as the E100 50 Mile solo/100 mile relay and the 100 Mile solo races) are posted on my website. Enjoy!

Joaquim Hailer
www.joaquimhailer.com

Direct link to the 2006 12 Hours of the Endurance 100 photo gallery:

click me (https://www.joaquimhailer.com/findphoto.php?eventid=114)

·
Registered
21 Posts
12 Hours E100 race report

This is really old, but Borris asked for me to share so here it is:
The Race:
First the background, the 10 mile loop was all single track. There was only a ¼ mile of double track. There were 3 climbs I named them 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and 3 of 3, the funny games I play. None were real steep, when I pre-rode it was all middle and 3-5 gear climbing. It was hot and sunny high was 93. Each camel back contained 56 Oz of Acceleraide.
Lab 1 (55 min 16th ranked lap, 16th place)
Lamans start up the hill and then down. The single track made this a train. On the first climb some fast runners and slow climbs created anxious gaps. As we got closer to the top of the first climb it was obvious to me that he was faster than I was. No big deal it is a long race. Rest of the lap was fine and went fast as we spaced each other out.
Lap 2 ( 52 min 19th ranked lap, 18th place)
This was my best lap, not my most proud. I was smooth on this, everything felt economical. I could have gone faster but I liked this pace and tried to stick with it. Only changed camel back les than 10 sec pit.
Lap 3 (55 min 20th ranked lap, 19th place)
More of the same from last lap. I do not know where the 3 mins went except I was starting to bonk and not know it.
Lap 4 (1:10 43rd ranked lap, 23rd place)
I bonked on this lap. My mistake totally. I had a huge breakfast at 5 AM and I thought I could go 4 laps before re-fueling. After the first 3 laps I thought it was the right choice. Boy was I wrong. The climbs I had no energy, especially 2 of 3. I still cleaned the technical stuff and I had energy to do short spirts but that was it. When I got to the pit Hostess Apple Pie, 3 Accel Gel Pacs from flask, 20 Oz Endurox. Changed Camel Back.
Lap 5( 1:06 33rd rank lap, 24th place)
Now that the bonking is taking care of the first climb starts to feel better but still sluggish. Then on the first decent I puncture my rear tire. It is tubeless with Stans so I try and get Stans to seal it, no luck. So I have to add a tube. This requires me to take the entire tire off and take the rim strip out to put the tube in. BTW this is where Dave Harris first passes me. This change takes about 10 mins is my guess, seemed like forever. So you see from my time that otherwise this lap was real good. But this is where my race changes for the better.
Lap 6 (1:03 14th ranked lap, 21st place)
This lap was awesome. The food was now in me and everything felt great. At the top of 3 of 3 there is a ¾ mile section that is gradual climb. This is marked by a steep short section. On previous laps I hit this pretty good, but on this lap I have a team rider behind me and I decide that I ma going to go fast enough that he does not want to pass me. I hammer this section all the way to the top and I gapped the team rider. Little did I know but this little section would help me in the later stages of the race. This was a bit longer pit, I had to add sunscreen and eat, 4 fig newtons, ½ orange, 20 Oz Endurox.
Lap 7 (1:08 21st ranked lap, 19th place)
Another good lap. I felt like the climbs were going good and the decents were fast.
Lap 8 (1:03 10th ranked lap, 17th place)
Did you see that. This was a top 10 lap. Of all the lap 8's mine was the 10 fastest!!!! This is the lap I was most proud of!!!!! I was fast up the climbs. I was fast on the decents. I was fast on the top of 3 of 3. I felt smooth just like lap 2, but this is over 8 hours into the race. I came into my pit in such a great mood!!!! I eat 4 fig newtowns, 3 accels gels and 20 Oz of Endurox.
Lap 9(1:14 21st ranked lap 17th place)
Ok the last lap was my proudest this was the toughest. Everything was a struggle. 1 of 1 took forever and I thought it would never end. Now the decents were starting to hurt. 2 of 3 is the longest and it felt like torture. Even my fun top of 3 of 3 went real slow. The last downhill back to the start/finish was coasterville. I was done, put a fork in me. I get back to the pit and grab some cold water and my nephew asks, what happened on that one? I laugh and say I am just tired. I still want 11 laps, no way to get 12 now. I tell my nephew expect 1:30 min laps.
Lap 10 (1:13 15th ranked lap, 16th place)
From the beginning this lap felt better. I was still slow on the climbs but I did not feel like I was done. Then on 2 of 3 there is this section that is loose rock and a bit steeper. A film crew is there and the guy starts filming me by running next to me as I climb. Because he is doing this I hammer this climb, near the top of this 50 yard section I tell the guy that he is making me go hard. He says "go normal you are killing me." Hahaha I am on my bike 10.5 hours and this guy has to move a little faster and I am killing him. So now I am going up 3 of 3 and I notice another solo guy catching me. In fact near the top he is within 10 feet of me, then I hit my little section and I am able to hammer to the top, not as fast as the earlier laps but a lot faster then this soloist was expecting. I uber gap him. Well when I looked at the standings this guy was no where near me in the final standings. Only 20 Oz of Endurox.
Lap 11( 1:12 14th ranked lap, 16th place)
This is it my goal lap. John tells me it is now a walk in the park back to the start. Same as last lap. At the bottom of 3 of 3 a solo rider passes me and he is going fast. He ended up being 15th overall. He ubergaps me up the hill. When I get to my section, yes it is now my section, I see another soloist just behind me. I decide to hammer this top section. I know this rider sees me and trys to catch me. Nope. In fact I closed the gap with the guy in front to 1 switch back. Then there is this one small climb and I give it all I have and I catch him. In fact I startle him, he was ready to coast home. He opens up and I stay with him for a bit but then he gaps me again. Then I see he startle another solo guy and they race for the finish. I ended up 16th place but only 15 sec from 14th. WOW!!!!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.