Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
aaarrrggghh!
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tryed using another type of front der. besides the E-type on their Gemini. I was thinking about giving it a whirl but wanted to save the time involved if anyone had some other feed back on the issue.

Thanks

·
aaarrrggghh!
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nothing works....

short of pulling out the grinder, in case anyone here gave a sh!t. Cannondales suck, just kidding. However, I'm not stoked on Cannondale's choice of this der. on the Prophet or the Gemini. It somehow seems like an afterthought. And before all you C-dale freaks freak out on me, I work at a store that sells them, So I am well informed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Chain suck

I have been having really bad problems with chain suck. After trying new front mechanism, chain, and everything else, I am now running new cranks (XTR) and a LX front mechanism. It does rub in a few gears, but has seemed to fix the chain suck, but not sure if it was the X-type front mechanism or the XT hollowtech's. Going to try the X-type again with the new cranks to see what happens. This is all on a prophet 2000.

·
aaarrrggghh!
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My problem is.........

Dan Gerous said:
I haven't put 1000 km on my Prophet but so far, I have no complaints about the e-type XT derailleur, shifts as good as a standard XT IMO. What's wrong with yours?
Here's the deal. When running a 2 ring with bash guard the e-type is too far above the 2nd chain ring for effective guidance. It shifts ok but when going through the rough stuff the chain constantly falls into the granny and beyond. I have tried everything to correct this as far as adjustments go but I'm at my wits end.

It all started when I bought the bike. It came with a 113 bb spindle length which worked fine with the stock set up. However, when I changed to a set of Deemax wheels with a Maxxis 2.5 the tire would rub the chain in the easiest gear. So I switched to a 118 spindle length to clear the tire. So in combination with the extra spindle length and the e-type I have a real problem with the chain staying where it belongs.

Any constructive feedback would be VERY welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Grip Shift Rules (For chainrings)

....I had a similar problem recently in 'big mud' on my prophet 2000.... I too thought the E type derailleur was to blame but I suspect its a combination of the derailleur and the shifters.

The derailleur looks like it will be more prone to the dreaded suck due to the additional metal bits near the BB. Hmmmm. I dont like the 3 position appraoch of the Shimano chain ring shifter.

Lets rewind some......I haven't had chain suck on my bikes in years either on my Y33 or my Jekyll 2000. Both worked flawlessly in any condition inlcuding clay coating!

The difference then and now: my previous bikes had a full Shimano XT setup for the rear derailleur but for the chainrings I had a grip-shift shifter and an XT derailleur. The gripshift allows for much more precise positioning of the derailleur between the 3 set chainring positions vs the Shimano 3-position-only which I found a major PITA to setup and was finnicky when then going got tough.

So...you may want to change the chainring shifter to a gripshift, then you can position the derailleur exactly where you need it to be instead of hoping that the middle position will be the correct one.

If you did like me and ditched the dual-shmual shift mechanism at your LBS before you picked the bike up, you are in fine shape as you now have one component to change and no spilled oil !!! If you still are dual shmualing then you have some investment ahead of you !!

This post reminds me I have one last change to make !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.