Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an E Thirteen XCX 9-39 11sp cassette on my gravel bike. With the 2mm spacer in place, the chain can't engage the 9t cog without jamming in the dropout. Without the spacer, I cannot twist the cassette into the lock position and bolt it in place unless I forgo the plastic bushing. Without the bushing, everything lines up exactly with my old cassette and shifts fine on the stand.
QUESTION: How important is that bushing? Am I risking damaging something, or catastrophic failure by not using it?
Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem solved! I slipped the bushing over the free hub body first, instead of slipping it inside the 9-35 cluster to then go on the free hub body. Without the cluster obscuring my view, I noticed a gap between the bushing and the 39t sprocket. A little extra elbow grease to drive the bushing home and everything lined up as it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how is this cassette holding up? issues? shifting?
The cassette seems to be holding up well. Granted, I haven't exactly ridden cross country on it. I had a mileage drought last autumn shortly after installing the cassette. However, I rode a century with it early on, and I've been hitting quite a few gravel rides since January. Shifting is good, even under load and under wet, muddy conditions. No complaints, although I'm no expert. I'm running Ultegra shifters with an XT derailleur and a Wolftooth TanPan. Front is a 24/36. I trust it enough that I just picked up a 9-46 12sp for my summer fatty setup and will likely get a 9-50 for winter riding next year. I'll probably pick up a 9-34 for road riding and keep my 9-39 for my gravel wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.