Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Hightower C XXL
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just visited a good friend of mine at the hospital. He was riding his eBike fast through some sand on a local beach trail, lost control and crashed. Broke his femur near the hip. He was riding with a group, none of them had helmets (most road eBikers don't). His bike just has standard mtb tires, while the rest of the group had fat tires. I know everyone in the group and none of them rode mountain or actively rode bikes prior to getting their eBikes. That seems to be a standard rule of thumb with eBikes. Too lazy to want to ride a non-powered, but willing to go 30 to 40 mph on a powered bike. Oh, and no riding skills, going fast on a 50 lbs + bike. The back tires are always almost bald from skidding.
While I was at the hospital, I ran into a Physical Therapist that I know. She said they have so many eBike patients it's like an epidemic. Last weekend a woman died and her two little kids were seriously injured when they went over the side of a river embankment going very fast on an eBike. She went face first into boulders (no helmet - not sure it would have help). Very sad... Again people not having real bike skills and understanding weight and momentum and the lack of control those bring. eBiker's, take it easy.. slow down.. and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are not typically Pedal Assist mountain bikes. Though I do see road only people riding full-suspension pedal assists.. Why? Just look at the tire wear and you can tell they are pavement only. We have a few people in our mtb group who ride pedal assist bikes. They have physical issues and it helps them keep up with us. I'm glad they have them. They also know how to ride, and wear helmets and pads.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should be writing headlines for mainstream internet news sights. Their headlines don’t match their stories either. “Filling up hospital beds”? :unsure:
? The ortho dept. has more than usual patients due to eBike crashes. A lot of them are brain injuries. Not wear helmets. ? Oh.. Shimano EP8-RS motor. Got it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long before the ebike loving admin shuts this one down? Should be interesting. Sad to say but I too see a lot moped riders who are in way over their heads. Worse yet with no proper gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's always fun till someone gets hurt:ROFLMAO: That's why I always get hurt. I like to have fun!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Are these injuries on class 3 ebikes then? Because I thought the most common ebikes were class 1, and their pedal assist stops at what... 15mph? 20mph? Quick for sure, but by no means unattainable with a normal bike (especially on road). 30-40mph is cooking by almost any standard.

The no helmets thing is a bummer though.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are these injuries on class 3 ebikes then? Because I thought the most common ebikes were class 1, and their pedal assist stops at what... 15mph? 20mph? Quick for sure, but by no means unattainable with a normal bike (especially on road). 30-40mph is cooking by almost any standard.

The no helmets thing is a bummer though.
I don't know enough about them. I've only ridden one once.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I don't know enough about them. I've only ridden one once.
Yeah, I've spent about 30 seconds on an ebike, in a parking garage. And even then, I'm not sure what type it was.

I just looked into the classes/types a while ago to better understand the land management aspect/etc. I think the definition varies a bit by country. But in the US, I'm pretty sure the pedal assist for class 1 ebikes is 20mph, or something like that. And IIRC, the pedal assist turns off on the class 3 ones at 28mph or thereabouts.

Its interesting to see that this is kind of a "thing" though, especially on road ebikes.

I know its come up in various other threads about mountain ebikes. Because typically/often, the more difficult trails are located higher up on top of the mountain, and it takes a good amount of fitness to even get to the top. But ebikes allow relative newbies to get there, potentially where their equipment/wallet has outpaced their skillset (not that that can't happen with normal bikes, but its easier with ebikes). But this is the first I've heard of it being a "thing" with road ebikes.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The biggest problem in our area are underage kids even elementary school age kids just blasting through traffic, stop signs, cutting across lanes, on sidewalks, in store parking lots in full throttle. No helmets, with a friend on the back and both looking at their phones while doing it! I heard they are planning on including eBikes in with motorcycles and mopeds as far as having a license goes. They will need to have a learners permit and be at least 15 and a half yrs old minimum. Good idea!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I had an ebike. Modded it out pretty good. Thing is you can only have straight line fun on it.
I got a full face helmet almost immediately. It was fat tire and road only, and it could go traffic speeds. It weighed like 60 lbs. That is a dangerous place to be.
Happy to have traded it in for more mods on my fsr.
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim Crankset

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I get along fine with all mountain biker's no matter what they ride, unless they are idiots. No matter what they ride. My wife rides eMTB's with a group that rides them. She also rides regular mtb's. If someone had an XXL framed eMTB that I could ride, I'd ride it. Some day I may only ride eMTB's. I have an open mind and a good attitude:)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
This always happens when a 'new thing' comes along. It happened with skateboards, inline skates, fixed gears, electric scooters, and now e-bikes.

It's not e-bikes. It's humanity. It's people trying a new thing with ignorance and (sometimes) arrogance and sheer stupidity.

Give it a few years, it'll mellow out. The mass of trend followers will wash out, the truly interested will adopt them with care, and the smart lifers will bring in a steady flow of people who are clued in properly, and the expected amount of injuries from 'life happens' will never go away.

I don't think there's anything innately wrong with e-bikes that will see them get legislated/shunned out of existence, like what happened to tricycle ATVs in the 80's. But maybe some new laws will come about over time.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.