Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to introduce myself. I have been lurking for years and am now about to purchase my first Niner. Name is Trent and I am living in Lincoln, NE.

For quite awhile I have been planning on building a S.I.R. 9 and getting back into racing this spring.

I have been riding an E.M.D. demo for sizing purposes at my local shop and they recently put it on sale. It is spec'd with the Niner SLX Build Kit, with the 100mm Reba. $2000 is what they want for it. Now I am thinking about just getting the E.M.D. demo.

Is that too good of a deal to pass up?

If I build the S.I.R. It would be spec'd out with a lesser quality parts than the demo bike.

I guess what I am wanting advice on is if any of you have been in the same situation, what did/would you do?

The E.M.D demo is a LG and I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam. Proper size? 18" seat tube seems a little small compared to my old 26er Cannondales I used to ride.

Thanks a ton,

Trent
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
What was the price on the demo to begin with? It must have some nice parts considering the frame sells for less than 500$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
terrible said:
What was the price on the demo to begin with? It must have some nice parts considering the frame sells for less than 500$
They said it would be sold new at around $3000. Full SLX, Stans ztr wheelset, Reba XX with lockout. Its a sweet build. Rides great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Well, the wheels are 500, frame is 500, fork is around 700 so that's 1700 right there. A good set of tires will cost you almost 200$ anymore (schwalbe) so it does seem like a pretty good deal.
 

·
SS Pusher Man
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
CoffeeRoaster said:
They said it would be sold new at around $3000. Full SLX, Stans ztr wheelset, Reba XX with lockout. Its a sweet build. Rides great.
They are full of it......Niner has that kit listed at $2299 on thier website:

http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=99

Click on the Build Kit tab.

On second viewing....it doesn't include the frame price in the build kit price.

Still.....$2299 + $499 is still less than $3000.
 

·
Fast bike-slow rider
Joined
·
207 Posts
Hmm... I have seen a similar built demo bike for sale at around $1700. Which I thought was a little high especially for a bike that has been part of a demo fleet.
 

·
MTBR Member
Joined
·
3,008 Posts
Are they offering any type of warranty on the frame? How's the condition of the bike? Did they service the fork recently or will they before the sale?

It's a good deal, but not too good to pass up, in my opinion. If it were a new holdover, that would be a different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FotoJesse said:
Hmm... I have seen a similar built demo bike for sale at around $1700. Which I thought was a little high especially for a bike that has been part of a demo fleet.
Very good to know what others have gone for.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ncfisherman said:
Are they offering any type of warranty on the frame? How's the condition of the bike? Did they service the fork recently or will they before the sale?

It's a good deal, but not too good to pass up, in my opinion. If it were a new holdover, that would be a different story.
Great questions. I will go and ask them those today.

I think I am kinda leaning towards building up my own.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top