Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Professional Troll
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the general rule is on this? Specifically on United? I was going to take my megatrail on the plane this weekend, but I'd rather take the YT Decoy if I could.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Currently a nightmare issue that needs to get sorted
I'm not sure how it will be tbh.

If batteries were all modular, you could maybe break them down and ship them in 100wh chunks. But they're not. There's less and less standardization between manufacturers, and from model year to model year, which would make renting a battery at your destination a fairly impossible business proposition. The euros have found that it's easier and cheaper to simply rent an ebike on the other end.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Im am dealing with this now.

Option 1. Bike flights will ship your bike without battery. It is then a regular bike.
You ship your battery separate via ground.

Option 2. There is hazmat certification for packing e-bikes. If you get the certification you can pack the battery in the bike. but since its 540 Watts its not allowed on plane.

Its a hassle for sure but doable and expensive.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Existing battery tech is never, ever, going to be allowed on planes. We can hope things get better, of course. To be fair, you can't put a motorcycle or a lawnmower full of gas on a plane either. C'est la vie. Things that can catastrophically catch on fire don't fly.

There's really nothing to discuss. Ship your battery or whole bike separately. Or rent at your destination. You're not going to fly the bike with the battery on it.

-Walt

·
Registered
340 Posts
Im am dealing with this now.

Option 1. Bike flights will ship your bike without battery. It is then a regular bike.
You ship your battery separate via ground.

Option 2. There is hazmat certification for packing e-bikes. If you get the certification you can pack the battery in the bike. but since its 540 Watts its not allowed on plane.

Its a hassle for sure but doable and expensive.
Just went through this myself. Option 3 was to ship via Shipbikes.com. Not sure why they allow you to ship ebikes and bikeflights.com doesn't, but they do. Could be because one uses Fedex and the other now uses UPS.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
I'm not sure how it will be tbh.

If batteries were all modular, you could maybe break them down and ship them in 100wh chunks. But they're not. There's less and less standardization between manufacturers, and from model year to model year, which would make renting a battery at your destination a fairly impossible business proposition. The euros have found that it's easier and cheaper to simply rent an ebike on the other end.
100wh chunks? Interesting. That is a tough one since although doable, a 500wh will become much bigger and heavier.

I think a likely scenario is some destinations will have batteries for rent. Levo or Shimano battery would be a decent start. Whatever it is, Europe will figure it out. They've been wrestling with this issue for a bit now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
bikeflights ships e-bikes: https://www.bikeflights.com/electric-bicycle-shipping

e-bike batteries can be shipped ground but you need a certified shipper

Batteries under 100 Wh can be carried onto a plane in "unlimited" quantities if you're willing to deal with security screening. I used to travel with a carry-on that contained nothing but 99 Wh batteries, over 40 pounds worth. Was out of the country on 9/11 with that and had to get back on 9/13 carrying that bag. No one blinked an eye.

Modular batteries have been done, there was an elaborate one on endless-sphere recently that used individual cells (so that they could be obtained at the destination if need be). I've considered this for backpack batteries, but getting shipping certification seems like a better idea. Ship your batteries ground in advance.
Well, bikeflights ships ebikes if you are a certified hazmat shipper. Which takes about 2 hours and costs $200 every other year to remain certified. Not practical for most people. So their answer is to ship the bike with them and the battery via some other method, which is not easy to do these days.
HOW TO SHIP A CLASS 1 OR CLASS 3 E-BIKE WITH BATTERY INSTALLED

"E-bikes shipped with their batteries installed via BikeFlights.com MUST be packed by someone with a current HAZMAT certification applicable to safely preparing e-bikes for shipping.

If you don't have a current HAZMAT certification, you can ship your e-bike with battery installed with BikeFlights.com per the following options:

Become a Certified Shipper- You can become a HAZMAT certified shipper by completing an online HAZMAT certification program. We recommend the Labelmaster HAZMAT shipper program, which typically costs ~$200, takes approximately two hours to complete and is good for two years. After you complete the course, please email your HAZMAT certificate to [email protected] Once we receive your certification, we will send you our BikeFlights.com E-bike Shipping Agreement] to e-sign. Upon receipt of the signed agreement, we will activate your BikeFlights.com account to ship e-bikes within 72 hours."

·
Registered
340 Posts
So if I lose my certification, they stop shipping e-bikes? Did you feel corrected and need to make an argument?

A package cannot be shipped without complying with law. That's would be true for every shipper including shipbikes. I hope you're not suggesting that a lack of information equates to a superior service.
Not at all. I think there might be a difference in how Fedex treats ebikes with a battery installed (used by Shipbikes) vs. how UPS treat ebikes with battery installed now being used by Bikeflights.

When I spoke with Fedex, they pointed to me to the article which explains how an ebike can be shipped (by ground only) via Fedex. Since Bikeflights now uses UPS it seems that they treat the same bike setup differently.

I just think it's good info to have if you have an ebike to ship. Prior to shipping an ebike this week I have always used Bikeflights. Never even knew of Shipbikes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Anyone know what the general rule is on this? Specifically on United? I was going to take my megatrail on the plane this weekend, but I'd rather take the YT Decoy if I could.
United airlines is the worst for any bike..
They gouged me $300.00 in SF for my folded Brompton, just because it is a bicycle.
I'll never fly on United again.
Southwest on the other hand will let a Brompton on carry on as it will fit in the overhead bin of a 737.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Existing battery tech is never, ever, going to be allowed on planes. We can hope things get better, of course. To be fair, you can't put a motorcycle or a lawnmower full of gas on a plane either. C'est la vie. Things that can catastrophically catch on fire don't fly.

There's really nothing to discuss. Ship your battery or whole bike separately. Or rent at your destination. You're not going to fly the bike with the battery on it.

-Walt
Nothing to discuss? Isn't this a discussion forum?

Pardon me as I'm new here but you smell like a troll bent on banning all emtbs. Do you even have one? Every other post you put up is 'motorcycle'. Appreciate the options, future and specs put forward so far by others.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I think the ebike on a plane issue is driving shops in Colorado to start renting eMTBs, I know that several are along the front range. A friend of mine recently rented a Pivot Shuttle from Golden Bike Shop and apparently it is rented almost constantly. BTW, GBS is highly recommended if you are renting on the Front Range, all of their bikes are in great shape and they give you a full 24 hours of rental time rather than forcing you to race back to the shop to return by closing time.

Commencal also rents out of their HQ in Golden, but they are closed on weekends and require that you return the bike by the end of the day.

For someone visiting Colorado and wanting to see what CO mountain biking is all about, renting an eMTB and hitting the Jeffco trails is a great idea. Especially if you are from sea level! You can rent in Golden and ride from the shops directly to the trails, so no issue with figuring out how to haul the bike, on a plane, or even in your vehicle. Park at the shop, ride your butt off, and hit one (or more) of several local brewpubs without having to drive around.

BTW, Poison Spider in Moab is renting eMTBs as well, and there are great trails open to ebikes there. Too bad the inmates running the asylum in that town saw fit to ban ALL ebikes from the PAVED bike path that leads up to the lower Gemini Bridges and Bar M parking areas. Moab now has epic traffic problems in town and the locals ***** about too many cars, but they ban ebikes on their paved bike paths?

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Nothing to discuss? Isn't this a discussion forum?

Pardon me as I'm new here but you smell like a troll bent on banning all emtbs. Do you even have one? Every other post you put up is 'motorcycle'. Appreciate the options, future and specs put forward so far by others.
I have one, and I'll probably have another one soon. That has nothing to do with the difficulties of flying big Li-Ion batteries (or anything else potentially flammable), though, yeah? They can catch on fire, so planes don't allow them. So, as pointed out at the very beginning of the thread and repeated ad nauseaum, your options are basically to ship the bike/battery another way, or else to rent a bike at your destination.

There's nothing to discuss because this issue is just about batteries and airplanes, not bikes or e-bikes at all. Unless battery tech changes in the future (we can hope) the airlines aren't going to allow your battery on the plane.

-Walt

-Walt

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.