Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 241 Posts

·
noMAD man
12,174 Posts
I won't ride with anyone or any group that has a motor*.

*Unless motorpacing on road which is an entirely different thing
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You say that like it's a bad thing.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,515 Posts
oh yeah here I go again...the 400 dollar shoe is for morons, let me tell you about my 450 dollar shoes

·
Registered
426 Posts
Isn’t everyone in the OP‘s story having more fun? That’s what riding is about, having fun, right?

The trail is for fun and the forum is for asking questions, supporting one another and sense of community… or did I get it wrong. The trail is for gatekeeping and exclusion and the forum is it for complaining, insulting one another, and starting flame wars?
f’n hippies are ruining this place.
Yes, you got it totally wrong. The forum is for humble bragging, harassing roadies, and promoting you tube channels, well except for the kumbaya sub forum… that’s where the old guys lure the kids into their vans. The trail is an excuse to buy expensive bikes and then take Instagram shots of it standing by itself to post to social media. Nobody actually rides anymore, which is why there are such hot debates over chain lube and tires.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I once spent 20 minutes in a shifter kart on a closed track, pegging my heart rate at 90% for most of that time.

Was this a great workout?

No.
Totally different scenario on the shifter cart. Your HR was up there due to the adrenalin, not because your body was necessarily doing a lot of work.
As far as a workout goes, if you think riding a class 1 emtb equates to just sitting on the bike easily turning the pedals and letting the motor do all the work, I’m not going to waste my time arguing with you about them.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,415 Posts
If only it was so easy. The difference between a fast Cat 1 racer and middle of the pack Cat 2 racer isn't usually training. It's mostly genetics. And fitness/effort on an eMTB is a choice - I ride mostly on my SC Hightower, but one day a week or so I'll take out my Orbea Rise. On Eco, I can get a workout 90% the same as on my Hightower, though I'll cover another 15% distance. If I'm riding solo or with another eMTBer, I might light it up a bit more. Occasionally I'll bring my eMTB on a mixed group ride if I've been riding a lot that week, and I'll keep it in a mode that puts me in the pack, not way out front.
What? Literally anyone can be a Cat1.

If by "genetics" you mean "the ability to not be fat by controlling your diet and exercise and being just moderately powerful on a bicycle", yes, then I would agree with this statement.

Or, if you had said, "the difference between a UCI XCO WC pro and a regional pro is genetics", I'd be more inclined to agree.

The basic problem is that people are simply afraid of discomfort. That's the truth. Here's an example: I went on a group ride recently. The people I rode with are all "fast" (I am the only person who has not raced a UCI XC or CX race in the last three years in the group, IIRC). On a fire road climb, we passed another group ride that contained the SO of one of the people from our group. We slowed to talk to them. The dude next to me was barely breathing, did not appear to be sweating excessively, no goose bumps, had full color, but when I asked him how he was doing, he said, "I'm dying". Looking at my power meter, I was doing 120-150w depending on the fluctuations in the gradient.

I wouldn't say that I regularly vomit or feel nauseous while riding, but it happens a half dozen a year. That level of effort and discomfort, and through that process, getting comfortable being uncomfortable, allows me to go both fast and long on a bicycle.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Awwwwww....what a cute story. What happens when the fast and mid fast guys get ebikes?
Me and my significant other are precisely that experiment. She just rides in Trail and Turbo (balanced and max output) modes more often, while I putter in Eco (low) mode. Everybody gets a full-flavored ride and everybody is happy.

Yeah, I could go Trail and Turbo and drop her like a new iPhone... but I kinda wanted to ride with her, and only lowkey assert my fitness superiority. Doing otherwise would just assert myself being a dick, esp. in a circumstance where everyone can go as hard as they want and still enjoy each other's company. I mean, it's a ride and not a race, right?

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
That level of effort and discomfort, and through that process, getting comfortable being uncomfortable, allows me to go both fast and long on a bicycle.
Yeahbutt now I can just walk into a store and buy the same ability. Sucker!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Bipolar roller
1,379 Posts
Sammy just needs to carry 3 extra batteries, juice up that baby with some black market software and put it in turbo mode and let that baby rip.
And get an ebike with a proper throttle so he can get his heart rate down and still keep up. It’s got a motor, why not get the most out of it?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Please tell me not all 25 riders are going out as the same group at one time. I hate when I'm confronted with super large group rides on my local trails - especially when they're strung out making me wait 5 minutes for them to finally pass. "Just 8 more of us" - great.
Typically 6-8 dudes on any given a day a ride is called. But the pool of dudes is about 25.
Isn’t everyone in the OP‘s story having more fun? That’s what riding is about, having fun, right?

The trail is for fun and the forum is for asking questions, supporting one another and sense of community… or did I get it wrong. The trail is for gatekeeping and exclusion and the forum is it for complaining, insulting one another, and starting flame wars?
Yep. All riders have fun, but some riders are having more fun than others.....
Not everyone is at the same level.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,790 Posts
I find the concept of a group ride (as in more than maybe 2 guys), for mountain biking, bizarre.
Mountain biking is my social life. All my close friends ride.

Hanging out with half a dozen guys after a ride, sharing beverages, chips, and some guac... damned good times there.

One of the reasons I absolutely love living up here is long summer nights where we can hammer out a 12 mile post-work ride then hang with my chums for an hour or so.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
One of the reasons I absolutely love living up here is long summer nights where we can hammer out a 12 mile post-work ride then hang with my chums for an hour or so.
Peaking the next 20 days.
Where I grew up it was never even twilight past 8:30. I absolutely love the long days, too. For me the best part are huge weekend rides. Come back, make camp, eat, party, swim...and sunset is still going. Nothing better.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Who? Dave?
Let's think about Dave. Dave decides he wants to get into mountain biking. He joins a local group. He thinks he is in pretty good shape because he goes to the gym once in a while. He quickly finds out lifting a few weights while gawking at the hotties does very little for cardio fitness. He sucks. In normal circumstances he could be back with the other Daves whose fitness and skills are not up to par. Misery loves company, and he gets to see how he and others improve over time while they swap information about their experience. Now everyone else has given up even trying to get into better shape naturally and just buys an e-bike, leaving Dave discouraged with the sport. How many Daves will go through the suffering, consistent riding, and diet to achieve fitness? Will those new to the sport give up even trying to get in shape

·
Paper or plastic?
10,173 Posts
I've been riding for a long time, and genetics are my problem (well, so is IPA and a voracious appetite). But, seriously I've done the lose a ton of weight and train hard, and I was still way slower than my buddies. It is what it is. Entered the ebike a few months back, and I can now hang with my buddies. I also got a low powered ebike (Levo SL), so it's easy to have a decent work out and keep up with them. It's awesome.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Mountain biking is my social life. All my close friends ride.

Hanging out with half a dozen guys after a ride, sharing beverages, chips, and some guac... damned good times there.

Let's think about Dave. Dave decides he wants to get into mountain biking. He joins a local group. He thinks he is in pretty good shape because he goes to the gym once in a while. He quickly finds out lifting a few weights while gawking at the hotties does very little for cardio fitness. He sucks. In normal circumstances he could be back with the other Daves whose fitness and skills are not up to par. Misery loves company, and he gets to see how he and others improve over time while they swap information about their experience. Now everyone else has given up even trying to get into better shape naturally and just buys an e-bike, leaving Dave discouraged with the sport. How many Daves will go through the suffering, consistent riding, and diet to achieve fitness? Will those new to the sport give up even trying to get in shape
It's Steve, not Dave and here he is on his eBike.

41 - 60 of 241 Posts