Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
IPA tester
1,300 Posts
So I emailed the city to get some clarification and basically, class 1 and 2 are considered bicycles and not electric bicycles according to the state, since they assist up to 20 MPH and the motor shuts off after that. So they are allowed wherever bicycles are allowed in the desert preserves.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I am gathering that there will be a lot of confusion across the board. One thing I have been suggesting to my riding pals that have e-bikes is to fight the urge to be a dick when they ride. Meaning, it may be fun to ride uphill around a hiker at 20 MPH, but if you were not doing that on a regular bike, maybe don't do it on an e-bike. And it may be fun to have a pissing contest with another angry disgruntled rider that hates e-bikes, it serves no good. Be cool, exchange pleasantries and move on as soon as you can. Someone that has an ax to grind will always have that ax until they realize they don't. Kind of like changing someones political mind. Goes for regular bikes too, Just don't be a smug dick and for the most part people don't care.

Try not to be a veganesque douche canoe about the fact that you have an e-bike. Noone cares, so unless they ask, don't bring it up.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
At the community meeting it was described as a ban on all e-bikes, anything with a motor.
And that is exactly how the PDF you posted reads. But as you can see in the email below, it is not that cut and dry. This is why I think there will be some confused interactions in the future. Which inherently shines a light onto all of us so it is in our own best interest not to be a-holes, bikes or e bikes. Here is the message I received.

"Hi,

Motorized vehicles, such as gas-powered bikes or ebikes assisting to attain speeds greater than 20 mph, or any scooters or motorcycles are not allowed on our trails.

According to Arizona Law, Class one and two ebikes, those with a maximum assist speed of 20 mph, are classified as bicycles and are allowed on roads and trails where bicycles are allowed. Therefore, these are currently allowed on the multiuse trails in our desert preserves.

State law does allow land managers to post signage prohibiting ebikes from trails, and if the City’s Parks and Recreation Board decides that is the direction our parks and preserves needs to go, then we will do that, so please watch for signage. Individual parks are not allowed to make autonomous decisions regarding policy.

Please be sure to stay on the trail, and follow all park rules, such as bicycles yield to everyone.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,"

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I will also say, this also reads like there are changes coming, and be prepared. But until they do. Here we are.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am gathering that there will be a lot of confusion across the board. One thing I have been suggesting to my riding pals that have e-bikes is to fight the urge to be a dick when they ride. Meaning, it may be fun to ride uphill around a hiker at 20 MPH, but if you were not doing that on a regular bike, maybe don't do it on an e-bike. And it may be fun to have a pissing contest with another angry disgruntled rider that hates e-bikes, it serves no good. Be cool, exchange pleasantries and move on as soon as you can. Someone that has an ax to grind will always have that ax until they realize the don't. Kind of like changing someones political mind. Goes for regular bikes too, Just don't be a smug dick and for the most part people don't care.

Try not to be a veganesque douche canoe about the fact that you have an e-bike. Noone cares, so unless they ask, don't bring it up.
Well said pwertrainer. It's all about being respectful regardless of the mode of movement.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks to everyone who posted. I appreciate the information and everyone keeping it classy. Maybe this can serve as a resource for others in the future. I will follow up if anything changes that differs from what is on this thread. I received an email from the city of Scottsdale, yes the Mcdowell preserve is in fact off limits to e-bikes. I think Sedona is the only grey area for me as I cannot find a document after the change last year that made them legal on a bunch of forest land, however I am not too worried about that one as the trails I ride when I go up there are out of the scope for my e-bike pals. Anyway, thanks again everyone.

·
Ride lots...
891 Posts
Were they going way too fast and terrorizing other trail users? That seems to be the fear some people have but, from what I have actually experienced, it just isn't the case.
Nope. One older lady, probably in her late 50's who was with her husband of the same age, who was on a regular MTB. One woman in her mid 30's. One guy in his mid 30's. One guy in his mid 40's. All were riding and acting like "normal" mountain bikers. My uneducated opinion at first glance was that the 3 who weren't the elderly woman with her husband "looked" like they were sufficiently healthy enough to not need an eBike. But what do I know? Just my impression at a glance. But I don't know their backgrounds and it's none of my business as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't care less about eBikes personally. Just found it interesting that some either don't know or don't care about the legality.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Tonto National Forest - Ebike Access

I don't mean to resurrect a thread that has dropped but figured I would add this to the thread to add reference....

I emailed the Tonto NF asking specifically about e-bikes and got a definitive response. Schilling and the others were correct in regards to e-bikes. They are allowed in the forest but only on trails that are approved for motorized use and on roads.

Here is the response:

FS-Tonto Webmail <[email protected]>
Attachments
Fri, Feb 28, 2:38 PM (3 days ago)
to me

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Tonto National Forest in regards to trail access with an e-bike. E-bikes are allowed on roads and motorized trails. Please review the attached PDF for more information.

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Best regards,

Kyle A. Behrens
Customer Service Representative
Forest Service
Tonto NF Supervisor's Office
p: 602-225-5202
[email protected]
2324 E McDowell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85006
www.fs.fed.us

They also provided a link to a document that provides more information:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/2?ui...5476&th=1708dbc91cfa2fb4&view=att&disp=inline

Hope the link works.

DC

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
So you CAN or you CANNOT ride an ebike in tonto forest trails?
Who exactly is patrolling these trails for ebike or non ebike?
Technically no. Did you read the post just above yours? Post #49. That said, nobody is ebike patrolling. It's on you whether you want to play by the rules. Either way, FS LEO's have better things to do with their time than police ebikes.

·
The .05 percent
1,047 Posts
Thanks. That's what I thought. At my age I ride the thing everywhere - otherwise I would not be out there. Getting old sucks. :)
One day all you whipper-snappers will be old and crotchety too. LOL
Well I guess if u can afford the price of admission, u can probably swing the fine.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,980 Posts
funny that 'browneye' means 'sh!t-filled @sshole'.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well I guess if u can afford the price of admission, u can probably swing the fine.
Lol. Has anyone ever been fined in AZ for riding an ebike on non-motorized trails? Any time I ask one of the land managers about enforcing current e-bike rules on USFS non-motorized trails it's usually a chuckle...

Don't be a di*k is a good mantra e-bike or no.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Since nobody is patrolling the trails for ebikes and nobody seems to care about their use, I think it's time to take my dirtbike out on some of those Scottsdale trails dirtbikers made and the city took away ;)

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Lol. Has anyone ever been fined in AZ for riding an ebike on non-motorized trails? Any time I ask one of the land managers about enforcing current e-bike rules on USFS non-motorized trails it's usually a chuckle...

Don't be a di*k is a good mantra e-bike or no.
It will be interesting to see the final decision on proposed guidance to manage e-bike use on National Forests that we all had a chance to comment on. Up to each forest on a case by case basis or just blanket acceptance?

Anyhoo, this week I encountered a recently retired Coconino National Forest biologist pedaling up the non-motorized Schultz Creek Trail on her swanky Pivot Ebike. She seemed to be enjoying herself and my user experience was unaffected.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It will be interesting to see the final decision on proposed guidance to manage e-bike use on National Forests that we all had a chance to comment on. Up to each forest on a case by case basis or just blanket acceptance?

Anyhoo, this week I encountered a recently retired Coconino National Forest biologist pedaling up the non-motorized Schultz Creek Trail on her swanky Pivot Ebike. She seemed to be enjoying herself and my user experience was unaffected.
Eventually they will be allowed on non-motorized, how soon who knows. Not worth the fight or crazy hatred imho.

LOL. Reminds me of another USFS person who retired and promptly started building illegal trails. Can only suppress those urges in the name of the law for so long I guess!

41 - 60 of 96 Posts