Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
E-bike tax credit cut in half by Ways and Means Committee

I'm all for reducing our reliance on cars, but this is shortsighted. Battery tech is not green and has to be imported. There is not much thought to adding infrastructure for commuting. So really, this is just about increasing sales in a market segment.

· Evolutionsverlierer
3,094 Posts
I think it is a step somewhat in the right direction but you are right similar to EV the whole zero emission etc. is greenwashing.
But maybe similar to Tesla manufacturing can be done at home again.
I also wonder why not do that for non powered bicycles too unless you clearly focusing on people who otherwise are not able to use a bicycle or really start commuting on it instead of a car.
Infrastructure should be a main if not the focus because unless an ebike is as fast as regular traffic I will not be seen on a bicycle sharing the road.

Hope that makes some sense, still waiting for the coffee to fully kick in.

5,889 Posts
The fact that they are doing this for only ebikes is ridiculous. They should be doing it for bicycles wholesale if they're going to do it. You could argue that aside from environmental, more people commuting on bicycles has impact on other things like our healthcare systems and need to maintain infrastructure (bikes don't tear up roads like cars).

Like every other policy in America, it's a good idea but incredibly short sighted and riddled with private business interest.

· CEO Product Failure
2,410 Posts
The funds should go to enhancing safety and expanding infrastructure to support pedestrian and bicycle commuters.

I am really uncertain on the rationalization behind the tax credit. You could commute to work on pretty much any bicycle. Why favor one specific "bicycle" type (e-bike) which has a higher carbon footprint and higher cost of ownership than a regular, human powered bicycle? This bill stinks.

· Disgruntled Peccary
6,682 Posts
The funds should go to enhancing safety and expanding infrastructure to support pedestrian and bicycle commuters.

I am really uncertain on the rationalization behind the tax credit. You could commute to work on pretty much any bicycle. Why favor one specific "bicycle" type (e-bike) which has a higher carbon footprint and higher cost of ownership than a regular, human powered bicycle? This bill stinks.
Until Americans stop thinking about bicycles as toys, and walking as only being for the poor, we're not going to see any change in infrastructure.

Wait, maybe e-bikes are a gateway drug?

· Registered
701 Posts
If the credit kicked in assuming you could somehow prove that you got rid of a car or drove fewer miles, I don't even care if it's an e-bike only credit; It's at least a step in the right direction.

While the green-ness of electric vehicles (car, bike, etc.) is overstated, an e-bike is probably better than a gas car pretty quickly.

But,

They should be doing it for bicycles wholesale if they're going to do it.
Totally agree. But I'd still like it to require some form of proof of replacing car-miles to qualify for tax credit. I'm not interested in funding other people's toys.

· Cycologist
16,945 Posts
My county has had some alternative transportation incentive programs in the past. I made some money from carpooling and commuting by bike (this was prior to ebikes being a thing).

But I spent way too much time on Nextdoor this week in a "bicycles don't belong on the road" thread, with the usual "they always run stop signs and red lights" and "they can't go the speed limit so they impede traffic which is illegal" type posts. One guy apparently rides his bike on the wrong side of the road as he was insisting this is "common sense"! I think he actually rides on the sidewalk on the wrong side and has ridden by my house.

One cyclist linked to a video he made a few years ago of commuting home during rush hour and passing 420 cars in 3 miles. It's the exact route I take; we go different ways after that 3 miles, mine gets a lot nicer, including trails where he has to hit the sidewalk or take a lane on a 6 lane wide road. I remember watching a county meeting when he had tried to convince the county to narrow the lanes and add a bike lane when they were restriping. They didn't. There are bike lanes on that road just past there where it's a different county (which was part of the 3 miles he filmed).

5,889 Posts
My county has had some alternative transportation incentive programs in the past. I made some money from carpooling and commuting by bike (this was prior to ebikes being a thing).

But I spent way too much time on Nextdoor this week in a "bicycles don't belong on the road" thread, with the usual "they always run stop signs and red lights" and "they can't go the speed limit so they impede traffic which is illegal" type posts. One guy apparently rides his bike on the wrong side of the road as he was insisting this is "common sense"! I think he actually rides on the sidewalk on the wrong side and has ridden by my house.

One cyclist linked to a video he made a few years ago of commuting home during rush hour and passing 420 cars in 3 miles. It's the exact route I take; we go different ways after that 3 miles, mine gets a lot nicer, including trails where he has to hit the sidewalk or take a lane on a 6 lane wide road.
When I still lived in the Midwest, the big argument was "cyclists don't pay gas tax which is what's used to maintain I roads, so they have no right to use the roads".

Literally the dumbest argument you could come up with, and I heard it ad nauseam.

· Registered
1,961 Posts

· Cycologist
16,945 Posts
When I still lived in the Midwest, the big argument was "cyclists don't pay gas tax which is what's used to maintain I roads, so they have no right to use the roads".

Literally the dumbest argument you could come up with, and I heard it ad nauseam.
Oh yeah, that one was in there several times. I posted about the older neighborhoods with no sidewalks, pedestrians using sidewalks and crosswalks, which are part of the roadway. And that I had been delayed plenty of times due to people walking in crosswalks or neighborhoods. They need a license plate on their ass!

· Disgruntled Peccary
6,682 Posts

Yea, that guy with that Pinarello probably owns at least a couple cars too.

5,889 Posts
Yea, that guy with that Pinarello probably owns at least a couple cars too.
Yea. I worked with a guy who used to argue that point all of the time. I finally told him that if we were going to start correlating vehicles and taxes, that he should be required to pay at least 10x more in gas tax than I did because his giant, unnecessary diesel truck caused way more wear and tear on the road than my S10.

He stfu after that.

· Registered
2,302 Posts
I asked my company about the commuter tax credit when it was first introduced about 15 years ago. Maybe it's changed, but at that time the deal was that ther employer would reimburs the commuter some amount and get a tax credit for that.

My company was like, "we don't have time for that sh*t". I make up for it by posting on MTBR while I'm on the clock.

· Evolutionsverlierer
3,094 Posts
Don't tell the Tesla drivers. They are thoroughly enjoying their smugness. It's easy when you're only half educated about something.
Yeah but it also often not thought about how much of a positive impact ev's will have when it comes to the need for less fuel transportation and less fluids in the car itself

The damage done to in the roads by heavy semis bringing fuel, less traffic, etc. and if you think about all the fluids dripping from ice powered vehicles getting washed into groundwater, damaging the road itself, posing dangers to motorcycle riders and so on.

For the most positive impact for me would because when there is no need for me to fuel up at gas stations nor for oil changes it means less interactions with people.

· Registered
233 Posts
You could commute to work on pretty much any bicycle. Why favor one specific "bicycle" type (e-bike) which has a higher carbon footprint and higher cost of ownership than a regular, human powered bicycle?
Because it will greatly increase the number of people who will choose the bicycle as a form of commuting. I live in San Francisco, a lot of people come in and commute from Marin. An eBike is faster than a car and easier to deal with once you get into the city for most people. You're looking at 2,000ft+ of climbing once it's all said and done. This is not within the capabilities of most people who aren't really cyclists. Even if they could do it it qualifies as a "weekend grand adventure" for them and is not able to be done within a time frame they find acceptable. I struggle to see people getting to the Golden Gate Bridge let alone riding across it and down the hill the other side. All the taxis in Sausalito have bike racks for people that couldn't make it back up to the bridge.

Yeah, batteries aren't purely eco-friendly, but neither are solar panels. But if you look at the energy density required to move a bicycle it's far less than any car, electric or not. Batteries can also be recycled (the US needs to get better at this) and the battery size of an eBike dwarfs a car by tons.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.