Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time Mt biker and former Pro Moto enduro racer.
Usually ride 4 times per week, now with the e bike that changed to 6 times per week.
Bought a Turbo Levo 2 weeks ago.
I Ride my regular Mt bike in the morning and the e bike in the afternoon.
Or make just an e bike ride triple in length and climb than my regular ride.

Takes discipline to ride my regular bike now, e bike is so much more fun.
But I have a bad knee and e bike dont work the quads as my regular bike, so I need to keep riding it.

E bike is cheating if you go slow, not compatible with regular Mt bikes, if you push it you work hard.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I imagine it will help you keep your downhill skills tuned up. I'm doing mad long DH runs with the assistance. Not sure if it's making me a better rider though. But definitely logging far more miles per week.

OH and...I am definitely losing fitness. I am feeling the pain far more on regular rides on reg. bikes. Could just be me though. I atrophy like a mother.

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
I don't know about better rider, but certainly different rider. But as long as anyone is having legal fun, rip it! Turn that sucker off and your quads will burn up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Havent stopped riding my regular Mt bike, just added more riding with the e bike, do not want to loose fitness.
Something I notice is I climb faster and push it harder on the climbs on my regular bike now, cant stand the slow pace of regular climbing vs e bike speed.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yeah, dunno about better, but it's made the ramp-up to mid season form as far as DH goes a lot quicker, just because of the extra riding I'm doing. And probably the ramp-up to mid-season fitness slower.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, it is. From any point of view. e-bikes just gather two of the best inventions ever: bike + eletric energy.
Even if from the fitness point of view, it is the best work out machine I ever invested in, except maybe on the rainy days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
from the fitness point of view, it is the best work out machine I ever invested in, except maybe on the rainy days.
Agree! I use my eMTB workout machine much, much more than the rower and bowflex. I've seen more scenery too! I ride 50% more each ride and can get it done during a 1 hour afternoon lunch break. It's done at a much higher average mph and I definitely keep my heart rate up for the entire ride. Slow is boring! I sold my regular pedal bikes, I can't justify having $4-6K tied up in a "second" bike right now.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Better in what way? I'm guessing that one's handling skills could improve simply by allowing more time on the bike without getting tired as much. Not sure it can help with aerobic capacity and general endurance though.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Better in what way? I'm guessing that one's handling skills could improve simply by allowing more time on the bike without getting tired as much. Not sure it can help with aerobic capacity and general endurance though.
It is a tool, we do what we want.
I picked a + bike with more grip more often i climb standing. I sweat. I was lean before and i am loosing weight. If someone is lazy there is no reason to blame a bike. This Ebike is not lowering my physique capacities. I have 3-4 hours of fun most days with it.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
This is actually a great question.

When one says "better rider" there are two ways to cut it. One is better climber, and the other is better descender. Usually, better rider refers to being a better descender (or better on rocks). Better climber is usually known as being more fit.

So does one become a better climber and be more fit with ebikes? Yes. No. and maybe. If one is just starting out and not riding a whole lot, an ebike will get them out so much more and they will get more fit. If one is good cross country racer/climber, it's hard to improve with an ebike since pain can be avoided always. But with discipline, even a high level xc rider can use ebikes and benefit. Use it just for recovery days for example.

Can one improve as descender? Corners, speed, jumps. Absolutely. There are two key ways to improve as a descender IMHO, repetition and bike lessons. Repetition is there as one can do 2-5x more descending with similar time constraints and fitness. Bike lessons, well that's on the rider. Coaching, friends, videos are key. And even when one gets the most golden advice, it usualltake 50 times of trying before it clicks.

Another element with ebikes is they are more stable with the bb weight. They also don't wash out as much as the front tire is always weighted. And one can use the grippiest front tire, knee pads and protection as needed without too much compromise. So, it is a good environment for learning.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There is no question that I climb better but I'm not really a better climber. Take away the motor and I still suck on climbs due to medical issues.

Definitely a better descender since I'm no longer trying to recover while going downhill. Being able to see straight seems to help there.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
There is no question that I climb better but I'm not really a better climber. Take away the motor and I still suck on climbs due to medical issues.

Definitely a better descender since I'm no longer trying to recover while going downhill. Being able to see straight seems to help there.
That's a good point. Descending when you're not knackered is a good thing.

And you know about doing a technical descent twice? Or thrice? "I could have hit that!!!" Well it's now very accessible. And you can descend deliberately on the second run and do it for learning and not fear missing out.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I know I've gotten better since buying an ebike because I just ride a lot more. Like someone said the early season ramp up was much faster. And like FC said it's the repetition that crystallizes good technique. It reminds me of Firas Zahabi on Joe Rogan talking about fight training at 70%, at the end of the year you have way more miles in than if you go 90-100% but less frequently. Beyond that there are two specific ways I've noticed improvement. The eminent increased cornering traction has helped me carry more speed into turns and get used to railing stuff at hyper speed. And the increased weight makes control in chunky terrain more challenging, so I have to get stronger and more skilled to attack rock gardens. Those skills definitely cross over to pedal bikes.

Firas Zahabi on focus on consistency over intensity in training:

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
When I was a newbie "pro" mountain biker in the late 90s, I was losing time on the descents (because I, really, had no business being there based on skills, it was the 5:00 off-the-couch-mile genetics, and I didn't know how to ride a bike at all).

Solution? KTM EXC 200. I spent a summer (and then fell in love and spent a lot more time) racing and riding motos. You get 10x or more the bike-handling reps in an hour of moto riding than you do riding up and then down on a mountain bike.

So if you have moto trails around, get a moto. If you don't, and you have legal e-mtb trails, get an e-mtb. And yes, it will make you a better (if we're talking about bike handling, fitness/tolerance for suffering is another story) rider.

-Walt

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
When I was a newbie "pro" mountain biker in the late 90s, I was losing time on the descents (because I, really, had no business being there based on skills, it was the 5:00 off-the-couch-mile genetics, and I didn't know how to ride a bike at all).

Solution? KTM EXC 200. I spent a summer (and then fell in love and spent a lot more time) racing and riding motos. You get 10x or more the bike-handling reps in an hour of moto riding than you do riding up and then down on a mountain bike.

So if you have moto trails around, get a moto. If you don't, and you have legal e-mtb trails, get an e-mtb. And yes, it will make you a better (if we're talking about bike handling, fitness/tolerance for suffering is another story) rider.

-Walt
I grew up racing BMX, then desert racing dirt bikes, and of course where I live there are MX tracks within 30mins of me, so I did that from time to time. But my favorite stable was always mountain bike riding. Yes, dirt bike speed makes mountain bike speeds seem slow!

I hung up dirt bikes maybe 10yrs ago and I honestly don't miss it at all. Lots of maintenance involved if riding these high strung 4stroke dirt bikes (oil changes, air filter cleaning, lubing chain, changing tires, adjusting valves). To bad I didn't try a 2 stroke dirt bike

I'd have to say ebikes have made me a better rider, as I ride all the time and get way more mileage. You want a good workout, go out with other ebikers and ride a mode lower!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I grew up racing BMX, then desert racing dirt bikes, and of course where I live there are MX tracks within 30mins of me, so I did that from time to time. But my favorite stable was always mountain bike riding. Yes, dirt bike speed makes mountain bike speeds seem slow!

I hung up dirt bikes maybe 10yrs ago and I honestly don't miss it at all. Lots of maintenance involved if riding these high strung 4stroke dirt bikes (oil changes, air filter cleaning, lubing chain, changing tires, adjusting valves). To bad I didn't try a 2 stroke dirt bike

I'd have to say ebikes have made me a better rider, as I ride all the time and get way more mileage. You want a good workout, go out with other ebikers and ride a mode lower!
or u can cary a 20 pounders of potatoes

·
Registered
89 Posts
Or u can ride circles around your non e-bike rider friends while climbing.
This is such a subjective question, for me, the best trails aroun are those where I can ride faster than any motorized vehicle, including MX.
The recurrent idea of comparing ebikes to motos here sounds so out of place though. If you consider: pedal position and right gear on, as some of the most important techniques, how could riding a motorbike help?
Tire size and overall weight and speed are also there to make your muscle memory dumb when moving from MX to bikes.
Of the many sports I have tried, I could tell that hang gliding and water ski (we don't have snow here) will help one with being a better biker more than riding a MX.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
pedal position and right gear on, as some of the most important techniques, how could riding a motorbike help?
Tire size and overall weight and speed are also there to make your muscle memory dumb when moving from MX to bikes.
Trust me on this, the skills from riding motos transfer just fine. Yes, the controls are a little bit different - but it's not enough to cause you a problem.

I mean, I'm a former pro who did it, and I know dozens of others who trained on motos (this was 10+ years ago now, though). I'm sure they still do it, too. It doesn't mean you ride moto exclusively, but it's a great training tool for bike handling for any mtb discipline.

-Walt

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.