Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the fork on e bikes are any different than regular ones?
Bought a Turbo levo, and the fork is a Pike.

Pike Feels harsh, and not too happy with it.
Will do a Push HC 97 upgrade.
Maybe add a Push spring upgrade in the near future.
Springs have colors for different weights, but in case of an e bike , the bike is 15 pounds heavier, so the spring chart is off for e bikes.
Adding 15 pounds to my weight to pick a spring wont be realistic either because the fork does not support the full weight of the bike.
Here is where I am a bit confused.

Has anyone done a Push spring upgrade to an e bike ? How did you pick which spring?(did it to my regular bike and its awesome).

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts

Springs have colors for different weights, but in case of an e bike , the bike is 15 pounds heavier, so the spring chart is off for e bikes.
Adding 15 pounds to my weight to pick a spring wont be realistic either because the fork does not support the full weight of the bike.

Has anyone done a Push spring upgrade to an e bike ? How did you pick which spring?(did it to my regular bike and its awesome).
I about to!! I'm putting a coil shock too on a Levo

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
I’ve got an Fox E36, supposedly the stanchions are internally thicker. Unfortunately, that means the spring kits out there will not work :(.
Also I believe for the Fox E36 at the moment and I maybe wrong come in at 160mm with an offset 51. My dream fork I’d like to try has 170mm, 44 or 41 offset, custom cartridge and springs!
Debating what I should, since I don’t think I can do these mods with my Fox E37. Suggestions?
Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,743 Posts

It's not the fork, it's the set up.

All forks other than the Trust work the same, coil or air spring, it's still just a fork.

Instead of throwing money at your fork, make sure the compression, rebound, and air pressure are set correctly. If I had to guess, I'd say you are either running too much compression, too much rebound, or too much air pressure.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Is the Levo progressive enough? I thought the reason they used the small volume air cans was to ensure it ramped up quickly enough due to the linear nature of the back end..
Yes, these are FSR, horst link bikes and they do very well with coil. All the Kenevos are that way.

This shock came off a Stumpjumper Evo so the size, spring rate and everything is perfect. I had my first ride last night and tears of joy came. :)

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Good one :)

Seriously though, I'm looking forward your review.
Not my bikes. Just our local bike shops selling very expensive bikes to rich folks. Someone bought an s-works levo. upgraded the rear shock to a DVO and the front fork to Trust. Tally, $15k.

I have not heard good things about the Trust fork. It's harsh on the up and down. So it feels harsh on most terrain where a Fox 36 Grip2 is so supple. You have to hit it from the front. Not enough travel though.

And when you land from a jump tail first and slap the fork, ouchie i hear.

It is the wrong tool for these Levos.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
There's a long way to go before the story on Trust forks is told. They are too new, too different and too poorly understood to reach conclusions. There are a few positive opinions as well as some knee-jerk reactions right now. Need more time and more experience to see, along with perhaps a few different travel options and some improvement in factory tunes.

I have one, but not on an e-bike. It's a challenge to balance the feel front to back since the fork feels so stiff, almost rigid-like. We all judge forks based on our experience with telescoping fork limitations we've adapted to. For that matter, the forks are being mounted on bikes with geometries adapted to telescoping forks so the deck is loaded against them from the start. Need to keep an open mind, but I see nothing about electric assist that makes a Trust fork less suited for the job.
thank you for the intel

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Is the Levo progressive enough? I thought the reason they used the small volume air cans was to ensure it ramped up quickly enough due to the linear nature of the back end..
The reason they put that small volume air can is so a ride can use the largest water bottle available. :) So dumb!!!!

Ther rear shock is the greatest crime of the Levo, especially the S-works.

You spend $12k and get a measly rear shock. The Pivot has the Fox DPX2 and the YT Decoy thas the Fox X2 for $6500.

A couple of my friends put DVO rear shocks and said it's a new bike!
My rear shock came from a Stumpy Evo. The spring is 500 and good for my 150 lb weight Bicycle accessory Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
I hope Trust survives but the recent huge price cut makes me think they're not long for this world. We'll see. I see a lot of forks and bikes here in PC ridden by rich people and I've only spotted 2 so far. Bad sign in the land of the retired accountants and trust funders, because normal folks aren't going to buy them.

I don't see why they could not, in theory, be a good e-bike fork (or any bike fork). My very limited (10 minutes on dirt) time on one did not sell me on it at all, but that's hardly a fair test. I'd echo FC's comments, basically. Harsh as hell.

MC *trashed* the thing in his review and I find him much more believable than most of the paid-advertising "reviews" you mostly find online/in mags. I think the most I'd pay for one, purely from curiousity, is about $500. So they have a ways to go on price to satisfy me...

-Walt

·
Registered
615 Posts
There's a long way to go before the story on Trust forks is told. They are too new, too different and too poorly understood to reach conclusions. There are a few positive opinions as well as some knee-jerk reactions right now. Need more time and more experience to see, along with perhaps a few different travel options and some improvement in factory tunes.

I have one, but not on an e-bike. It's a challenge to balance the feel front to back since the fork feels so stiff, almost rigid-like. We all judge forks based on our experience with telescoping fork limitations we've adapted to. For that matter, the forks are being mounted on bikes with geometries adapted to telescoping forks so the deck is loaded against them from the start. Need to keep an open mind, but I see nothing about electric assist that makes a Trust fork less suited for the job.
Yeah that fork is like the old crosslink types that you either loved or hated. I have a modified crosslink on a fatbike and it is wonderful since the tire does all the trail chatter.

Maybe Clydesdale or fatbike forks are the answer for the e-bikes since in both those cases weight is the issue like a e-bike. The old coil/oil forks were NICE but heavy which with a e-bike should be less of an issue.

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
I’ve been pleased with my suspension set up. New Lyrik up front and DVO Topaz T3 in the rear. Pretty damn plush. I don’t plow a lot though and tend to always find the smoothest lines, unless it costs me time. DVO has great customer service also.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a lyric on my actual spectral-on and have set it with 75psi to get 30% sag at 86kg, it is less than I used to set on a SC nomad some years ago (around 80psi).
Rockshox forks are known for exagerated pressure on theyr suggested tables so maybe using less air could help eliminating the harsh feeling.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.