Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts

·
Mr. Member
117 Posts
Assuming you want full suspension, I would go for this. https://www.fezzari.com/wirepeak.
As a 300# Clyde also looking into full-suspension eBikes, my concern with the Wirepeak is the tighter angled rear tail so that it mounts under the top tube. I'm not an engineer, but I am a Clyde, and that looks like a weak point for the amount of stress a heavy rider puts into a rear suspension, especially with the fixed mounts all on the top tube. I would like a larger angle and the pivots on the stronger, thicker seat tube area personally.

Since Trek is having a sale right now, I have been looking at the Trek Powerfly FS 7 Plus as I love what plus tires and the additional air does for a Clyde rider.

For a hardtail, I am seriously considering the Trek Police EBike as it has the faster Bosch motor and a decent price. Essentially a Powerfly 5 but the better Bosch motor. But I sure would like to have a rear suspension like every other lighter rider. I'm down 60 pounds, so I am working on it, but at 53yo, I appreciate the motors help in my hilly, mountainous area.

But I am still looking and researching...

Rmpl

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
As a 300# Clyde also looking into full-suspension eBikes, my concern with the Wirepeak is the tighter angled rear tail so that it mounts under the top tube. I'm not an engineer, but I am a Clyde, and that looks like a weak point for the amount of stress a heavy rider puts into a rear suspension, especially with the fixed mounts all on the top tube. I would like a larger angle and the pivots on the stronger, thicker seat tube area personally.

Since Trek is having a sale right now, I have been looking at the Trek Powerfly FS 7 Plus as I love what plus tires and the additional air does for a Clyde rider.

For a hardtail, I am seriously considering the Trek Police EBike as it has the faster Bosch motor and a decent price. Essentially a Powerfly 5 but the better Bosch motor. But I sure would like to have a rear suspension like every other lighter rider. I'm down 60 pounds, so I am working on it, but at 53yo, I appreciate the motors help in my hilly, mountainous area.

But I am still looking and researching...

Rmpl
Congrats! Keep riding. I ride regular road bike with a guy that is 350ish. Started out 2-3 miles and is now doing 25-30. He rides a Cannondale fitness bike, but only road. Zero off-road skills. Never road really growing up. We're both 48. I think these frames and parts will take more abuse than you might think. Everybody under estimates breakage for fear of trouble. The rear shock and fork should bear most. JMO.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you are heavy, you are going to need a lot of help from the motor, and that means you'll need a big battery. Get a model with 600-700 Wh, or a bike with a external battery and then carry an extra battery on your pack. I started with a Focus Bold2 and bought the second battery after a few months, the difference is night and day.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
If you are heavy, you are going to need a lot of help from the motor, and that means you'll need a big battery. Get a model with 600-700 Wh, or a bike with a external battery and then carry an extra battery on your pack. I started with a Focus Bold2 and bought the second battery after a few months, the difference is night and day.
That is good advice. But the available ones with a 700 battery are a bit expensive and look outside his budget.

Another option is purchasing another 500wh battery in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found the weight limits on a lot of them too low. I only had options of Mondraker and Kona that had a higher weight limit. I ended up going with the Kona Remote CTRL which has a rider limit of 136kg plus a small allowance for gear. Most others have a system weight limit (rider plus bike plus gear) of around 120kg - 136kg.

I've only had it for a couple of weeks but have done 140km and nothing has broken yet which is unusual for me.

I'm 6'8" tall and weigh 115kg.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Any recommendation for an E-Bike for clyde?
Would like one that is not a kit.
Thank you.
240# here. Riding a '17 Turbo Levo. 504wh battery. Longest ride so far has been about 23miles and 3200' of climbing. 80% eco mode and the rest Turbo for the final climb, needed up with 30% battery remaining.

I've been really happy with it over all. The Brose motor seems to favor moderate cadence for the best support. The only potential issue I see for big guys is the typical Specialized high rear leverage rate. It requires running higher air pressures and won't support a coil shock for heavy guys. I installed a better shock (dpx2 with a BikeYoke) an it works really well in spite of the higher pressure (around 290psi)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.