Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My guess is that they are using the dirt road down to the beach, that's a good little climb to show the difference pedal assist can make. Maybe the perimeter trail around the grass fields.

Having worked at St Ed's and knowing how strict they are about group permits for this sort of thing, I can't imagine they would let them go on the trails if it was illegal.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The demo will be run from the shop (8020 NE Bothell Way, Kenmore). E-bikes are currently legal on the trails open to bikes at St Ed's but not the trails in Big Finn Hill Park. Absurd situation, I guess due to fact that public land managers in WA are still figuring out how to implement the recently-passed e-bike law. BTW e-bikes are not legal on Tiger Mtn etc: DNR considers them "motorized" for trail use rule purposes.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The demo will be run from the shop (8020 NE Bothell Way, Kenmore). E-bikes are currently legal on the trails open to bikes at St Ed's but not the trails in Big Finn Hill Park. Absurd situation, I guess due to fact that public land managers in WA are still figuring out how to implement the recently-passed e-bike law. BTW e-bikes are not legal on Tiger Mtn etc: DNR considers them "motorized" for trail use rule purposes.
Uh, they are mopeds, not bicycles. Bicycles do not have motors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Uh, they are mopeds, not bicycles. Bicycles do not have motors.
From Wikipedia :"A bicycle, also called a cycle or bike, is a human-powered or motor-powered, pedal-driven, single-track vehicle, having two wheels attached to a frame, one behind the other. A bicycle rider is called a cyclist, or bicyclist."

I don't think E-bikes should be considered the "enemy". We should focus on ways to have fun together because it will happen. Ebikes are everywhere in Europe and and are allowed in Canada. Getting passed constantly on a climbing trail by an overweight slacker on an ebike probably isn't that much fun but its something that will happen unless we think of ways to co-exist. Have ebikes climb fire roads maybe? Just saying they are mopeds isn't that helpful if they do become legal (and I am convinced they will).

·
Registered
63 Posts
...but its something that will happen unless we think of ways to co-exist.
I can't make a lot of sense of your comment unless by "co-exist" you mean "e-bikes will have their own trails", in which case I say, great!

Let the e-bike community advocate for their own trail systems! I used to do the whole two-wheeled ICE thing and might get back into motorized trail fun on an ebike once they get powerful (i.e fun) enough - or wait, maybe I should just buy an electric motorcycle. Ebikes are awesome for the road, I barely use my car anymore.

Keep human-powered fun human-powered fun.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I hear ya, but I was not attempting to be helpful in any way. Wikipedia is funny, btw. Legal? Mmmmmmm, so we should allow hunting from the truck too? Well, you uncle bill would still like to hunt, but it’s “harder” every year...
When that battery fails and you are in the backcountry I will hurt myself laughing as I pass by. But, my main point is REBRANDING IS PATHETIC. “Pedal assist”, blah, blah, blah.
I will continue to earn it. It’s a moped. That Wikipedia thing is still cracking me up, thanks.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Thanks for the info Tom. I was feeling pretty irate about this demo day but didn't know they were allowed on those trails. Can't wait to get my Husqavarna 500 out to St. Ed's.

·
Registered
422 Posts
State Parks got complaints from somebody (biker or not I don't know) and the demo will not happen at St Ed's. Still on but I don't know where people will go. There was a Pivot e-bike demo at St Ed's last year, hosted at the park with a permit, so I think e-bikes are legal on the multi-use trails there but State Parks didn't want the political heat. Their website is silent on the issue. I wish State Parks, DNR and some of the counties would do some kind of formal public process to address the issue, since the new state law leaves so much up to them. To have this much confusion more than a year after the law has been in effect is lame.

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
State Parks got complaints from somebody (biker or not I don't know) and the demo will not happen at St Ed's. Still on but I don't know where people will go. There was a Pivot e-bike demo at St Ed's last year, hosted at the park with a permit, so I think e-bikes are legal on the multi-use trails there but State Parks didn't want the political heat. Their website is silent on the issue. I wish State Parks, DNR and some of the counties would do some kind of formal public process to address the issue, since the new state law leaves so much up to them. To have this much confusion more than a year after the law has been in effect is lame.
I inquired of state parks as to whether this was a permitted event and whether motorized vehicles were now allowed on St Edwards trails. It was definitely a question rather than complaint though. I can only imagine how up in arms the Citizens for St Edwards State Park would get if ebikes become prevalent up there.

I disagree re the confusion though. The rules are clear, soft surface trails are closed unless signed open. We need more enforcement much more than increased clarity.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Acree again"

Thanks ACree for helping the parks understand the rules.

I notice Galbraith now has prominent pictograph signs making clear the trails are not legal for weak bikes. I'd like to see these posted on our local muscle powered trails as well.

·
EMBA Member
201 Posts
Holy crap - look at this thing! http://kck.st/2KvL5gP
This will work great for my 40volt drill - woo-hoo!!! And no pedaling BS!

E-bikes aren't going anywhere. They're fun AF and help a lot of folks who need it.
I've got a dad and a grandpa who help on my jh/hs team who couldn't ride without some assistance. They ain't brappin' up the trails and no one ever knows they're on e-bikes.

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
Holy crap - look at this thing! http://kck.st/2KvL5gP
This will work great for my 40volt drill - woo-hoo!!! And no pedaling BS!

E-bikes aren't going anywhere. They're fun AF and help a lot of folks who need it.
I've got a dad and a grandpa who help on my jh/hs team who couldn't ride without some assistance. They ain't brappin' up the trails and no one ever knows they're on e-bikes.
Motorcycles are fun too, and some can't ride pedal bikes but could ride motos. Where to draw the line? It's been drawn where the motor is added. If the ebike lobby wants them legalized, lobby for changing the designation from nonmotorized to low impact. That would be logical. Ignoring a motor isn't logical - and we know the anti biking crowd won't ignore it.

It's an unfortunate reality that not everybody can do everything. That is not a good reason to dumb it down. I'm curious where you're taking your HS team where ebikes are legal on the trails?

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
461 Posts
Maybe he's just making sure these HS coaches who can't pedal will actually try to follow the law this time instead of sneak past it with a "need clarity" excuse. A law respected by thousands of mountain bikers across the state.
Are you asking so you can again "inquire" with the land managers about motorized access and prohibit a couple older folks from volunteering their time as HS MTB chaperones/asst coaches?
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
Maybe he's just making sure these HS coaches who can't pedal will actually try to follow the law this time instead of sneak past it with a "need clarity" excuse. A law respected by thousands of mountain bikers across the state.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Lol, the quote at the bottom or your posts is awfully ironic for this topic haha.

·
EMBA Member
201 Posts
It's an unfortunate reality that not everybody can do everything. That is not a good reason to dumb it down. I'm curious where you're taking your HS team where ebikes are legal on the trails?
Not gonna say where we ride. I let them know that they're not legal if we're on a trail system where they're not allowed and that they could possibly get a ticket, but I don't tell them they can't ride with us. I also say that they need to be proactive in letting land managers know the importance of being able to ride with assistance.

Kinda like those big ****in' 50 tooth cogs, it's mechanical assistance, that allows us to go further with less effort. ZERO difference. A throttle makes the difference, pedal assist doesn't.

Also, has anyone ever heard the non-bike groups bring up pedal assist bikes and that they're concerned about them on the trails? I haven't. I only hear from mtn bikers how it'll give the other user groups more ammo to get us kicked off trails. I just don't see it on the hiking forums.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.