Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a lil while ago i was deciding whether to get an mrp chainguide or a e.13. for christmas. i even did a thread about it and was told they would fit stinky's. i got the e.13 and im happy about it and everything. i just went on the website to look at there new stuff and i went to the sizing and fitting section. what i found was very disappointing apparently it wont fit my 04 stinky? it says the mount for it will hit the main pivot of the frame, but the stinky primo can fit it. i thought these were the same front triangles just different rear ends, so what the crap? will it fit my bike with some customization? anyone done it yet or am i gonna have to send my guide back and get a mrp?

this is straight from the website

Kona Shred 04-05 OK OK
Kona Scrap 04 OK OK
Kona Chute 03 OK OK
Kona Coiler Series 04-05 OK
Kona Stab 05 OK
Kona Stab DC 03 OK - but 44T bashguard is a tight fit with a 118 spindle OK
Kona Stab Supreme 04-05 OK
Kona Stinky 03 OK
Kona Stinky 04-05 No Fit - ISCG adapter plate overlaps with main pivot
Kona Stinky Primo 04 No Fit - ISCG adapter plate overlaps with main pivot
Kona Stinky Dee-Lux 04-05 To get the ISCG Adapter Plate to clear the main pivot a 2.5 mm spacer must be placed between the adapter plate and BB shell

·
Registered
256 Posts
Kona Stinky frames of the same model year are typically identical. The only exception is the base model which is often a carry-over from the prior year's design. In the case of the '04 Stinky the base model has 6" rear travel and the frame is identical to an '02 Stinky Primo or an '01 Stinky Six.

E.13 does their best to have an accurate list of models that their guides fit but often they rely on customers for info. So if a customer can't find a mounting solution than it's possible that E.13 will list that application as a no-go. As you can see their listings for the '04 Stinky D and the '04 Stinky P which are 100% IDENTICAL frames have differing descriptions proving this point.

IN summary, yes the E.13 will fit your bike as long as you space the ISCG mounting plate away from the BB shell 2.5mm (or possibly Dremel the ISCG plate out to clear?) and set everything else up accordingly to line up properly. FWIW, Kona sold an E.13 stock on the '04 Stab base model which is also an identical frame to the Stinky so it will work for sure. When in doubt email or call E.13 their guys are super helpful!

·
Pro Crastinator
11,052 Posts
punkassean said:
....... When in doubt email or call E.13 their guys are super helpful!
fo sho...

E13 is one of the few companies left that will go way out of their way to explain how to fit or modify their product to fit just about damn near any frame out there.......

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
punkassean said:
... When in doubt email or call E.13 their guys are super helpful!

when in doubt take it to the grinder....i thought that was how it went :confused: :D

thats how i solve my problems.

you should be able to modify it in some way, austin. worst case, bring it to me, i got a sweet new grinder for x-mas that im dying to test out. :D :D

...seriously....i wanna grind something

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well great news i was able to get the chain guide on with almost no modification. i had to grind a little bit of metal off the crank arm(where smallest chainring is held) so it would be flush but other than that there was nothing. got everythign tightened up and now its just fine tuning. i am having some problems with the upper and lower sliders though. the chain rubs against the sides. i dont know if i should just let it grind a little bit of plastic away or what? i didnt have to use any spacers behind the backplate to which was nice. if i did use spacers the rubbing would have been worse so i already looked at that. the stinky looks great with it on there to. it took me a while to put it on becuase i didnt have the tools(backorder) but im happy with it now. anyone with a stinky its easy to install just a word of advice.

and colin i am sorry man :( no grinding was needed except for that little bit. if somethign ever needs a powerful grind i will bring it to you haha

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
austinb89 said:
well great news i was able to get the chain guide on with almost no modification. i had to grind a little bit of metal off the crank arm(where smallest chainring is held) so it would be flush but other than that there was nothing. got everythign tightened up and now its just fine tuning. i am having some problems with the upper and lower sliders though. the chain rubs against the sides. i dont know if i should just let it grind a little bit of plastic away or what? i didnt have to use any spacers behind the backplate to which was nice. if i did use spacers the rubbing would have been worse so i already looked at that. the stinky looks great with it on there to. it took me a while to put it on becuase i didnt have the tools(backorder) but im happy with it now. anyone with a stinky its easy to install just a word of advice.

and colin i am sorry man :( no grinding was needed except for that little bit. if somethign ever needs a powerful grind i will bring it to you haha
good to hear

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
austinb89 said:

haha good stuff glad it wasnt a pain.

i still havent found anything to grind though.... im about to just grind somethign for the fun of it haha.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zerossix said:
haha good stuff glad it wasnt a pain.

i still havent found anything to grind though.... im about to just grind somethign for the fun of it haha.

haha just dont hurt yourself man and remember when your done grinding always turn the grinder upside down so if it turns on it doesnt bite you that would really suck

fiddy ryder- its rubbing against the lower and upper sliders not the actually backplate. ill take it apart tom and move a washer or two and see if that will do it. im thinkign it probly will and i probly just didnt see it cuzz i was rushing. plus i will have my new bike stand(ultimate pro ) cant wait for that! no more stringing the bike up to rope hung over crossbeams in the basement. thanks man

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
I recently installed a e.13 chainguide...

Mine rubs like mad on the sides like you said. The washers.... if I space it, it will push it further over and make it rub worse.

It's on a Hardrock Pro Disc. I can't see any way to make it stop...

EDIT: I decided to also email e.13 with the problem. I'll post up the reply if it helps any.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Mine?

I have the flat side pointing away from the frame.

We had serious rubbing... like no movement with the ISCG mount the other way... same with the boomerang.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Does anyone actually find that noise soothing?

Because it drives me up a wall... thank god for my MP3 player...

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
standard235 said:
I recently installed a e.13 chainguide...

Mine rubs like mad on the sides like you said. The washers.... if I space it, it will push it further over and make it rub worse.

It's on a Hardrock Pro Disc. I can't see any way to make it stop...

EDIT: I decided to also email e.13 with the problem. I'll post up the reply if it helps any.

yeah thats exactly what is happening to me, i was thinking about it while i was out tonight though. right now i have it set up as the bb lock ringcup, then a spacer, then the iscg mount. i think by adding some more spacers between the bb lockring cup and the iscg it should move the boomerang further back from the cup giving me more room for my chainline and it should solve my problem. or it could be that i just need to switch the mount face around. what i was confused about is in the direction in bold print it says the top slider is suppose to be bendable? it does not move though it is very weird. it will probly just take some fine tuning. ill let you know what i did to solve the problem. becuase trust me man i cant take the noise either.

if worse comes to worst we have zerossix who wants to do some grinding but i feel he might go a little grinding happy with his new grinder..... never though i would use the word grind that much in one sentence haha

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
austinb89 said:
yeah thats exactly what is happening to me, i was thinking about it while i was out tonight though. right now i have it set up as the bb lock ringcup, then a spacer, then the iscg mount. i think by adding some more spacers between the bb lockring cup and the iscg it should move the boomerang further back from the cup giving me more room for my chainline and it should solve my problem. or it could be that i just need to switch the mount face around. what i was confused about is in the direction in bold print it says the top slider is suppose to be bendable? it does not move though it is very weird. it will probly just take some fine tuning. ill let you know what i did to solve the problem. becuase trust me man i cant take the noise either.

if worse comes to worst we have zerossix who wants to do some grinding but i feel he might go a little grinding happy with his new grinder..... never though i would use the word grind that much in one sentence haha

im honestly kinda lost with what your saying right now cause its late here and i should be asleep. but im down with grinding! haha. nah as ive said before ill gladly help ya figure something out if your in my area, grinding or no grinding. but preferably...well you konw which one
:D

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Amazing.. no instantaneous email response...

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Haha, I'm such an idiot.

I sat down... staired at my bike for 10 mins. Turns out, I must have missed something in the instructions. I have the boomerange backwards.... Yay, I get to take my chainguide apart.

EDIT: Nevermind... I don't know.

The boomerang can't be switched...

Well, e.13 needs to get back to me.

They said it would work perfectly with all my specifications and it isn't... I followed everything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts