Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Nope - no issues at all, but have only ridden it like 5 times. From the 20 clicks each button has, only the last 6 or 7 seem to make a difference though.

Weight of the E100 is exactly 1500gr with uncut steerertube (put mine on the scale), so that's more than the officially claimed weight.

As far as I can tell, the fork is incredible, but takes some time to setup. When setting the bump treshold, from 1 tot 3 clicks from fully closed makes a huge difference, so does adding 5 psi. Mine bottomed out a few times on the first ride, but now I got it right.

·
Registered
846 Posts
My S12O forks were the same when new, very little sag using recommended pressures, even when doing exactly as on the set up video. The forks definately loosen up with time, so go with recommended pressures until they are fully bedded in, otherwise you will bottom out all the time and could cause damage. Forks are brilliant, the S120 are the same to ride as the E100 but with a little more travel, the best i've ever ridden that's for sure. I have ridden both for a fair few miles. Hopefully they will be reliable just like the S120's with 09 internals, I'm confident they will.

·
bitey
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
interesting response,but i suppose we have to wait a while to get a true reflection on how reliable they are. i myself ride an s works stumpy,o8 last year,7 cartidges.o9 now and awaiting my 3rd 09 cartridge.fingers crossed for the next one which spesh claim will be hand built in house at spesh HQ? but i must agree when the fork is working its good.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I can only speak from personal experience and mine is very good. That is a bit worrying if you have had 09 cartridges go wrong. I know for certain that all 09 bikes were actually fitted with 08 cartridges as the new ones were not in full production at the time, so that may explain your first one. What went wrong with the second, and after how long, as I know that Specialized UK now have 09's in stock and fit these as replacements, not sure when they got them in though.

·
bitey
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
first cartridge on 09 bike lasted about 8 hrs riding,second lasted 5 hrs.spesh did say the first one was an 08 cartridge which i find totaly bewildering considering all the problems last year,i am slowly loosing confidence in the prospect of spesh getting this fork fixed.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Pete N said:
My S12O forks were the same when new, very little sag using recommended pressures, even when doing exactly as on the set up video. The forks definately loosen up with time, so go with recommended pressures until they are fully bedded in, otherwise you will bottom out all the time and could cause damage. Forks are brilliant, the S120 are the same to ride as the E100 but with a little more travel, the best i've ever ridden that's for sure. I have ridden both for a fair few miles. Hopefully they will be reliable just like the S120's with 09 internals, I'm confident they will.
This is also quite true for my e150 on my 08' Enduro... Sounds like a trend

·
Registered
919 Posts
madskatingcow said:
Nope - no issues at all, but have only ridden it like 5 times. From the 20 clicks each button has, only the last 6 or 7 seem to make a difference though.

Weight of the E100 is exactly 1500gr with uncut steerertube (put mine on the scale), so that's more than the officially claimed weight.

As far as I can tell, the fork is incredible, but takes some time to setup. When setting the bump treshold, from 1 tot 3 clicks from fully closed makes a huge difference, so does adding 5 psi. Mine bottomed out a few times on the first ride, but now I got it right.
And again, this is also very true for my e150... I think, in general, once you get these forks set up (e100, e120, e150), and have updated (none-breaking) internals, the general consensus is that they are smoking! The issue is that set-up/break-in is different than the industry norms (like Fox, etc.) so it takes some getting used to. Good luck.

·
Registered
846 Posts
We're talking about the S120. It is almost the same as the E100 bar travel. The 09 cartridges have been supposedly better machined and a bigger head seal. It is significant to the E100 as scored damper shafts have been the problem, which then cuts and O ring and any problems with either should be similar.The 09's should have sorted the problem, and may well have done.

Bitey. Did you get to see the cartridges at all as the 09 does look different and was it the same problem as before, loss of platform. Your hand built one will I'm sure sort this, after all, if mine is good, a hand built one should be. I think the use of not very good factorys has cost Specialized dear.

·
Registered
253 Posts
madskatingcow said:
Well, you have to adjust the sag when the fork is completely unlocked (blue knob at the bottom fully open). Best is to follow the online Specialized suspenion video's here
Hi, I set the recommended pressure with the brain completely off and get no sag.

To get even 10mm sag I have to drop 25psi+

I have done a few miles on this bike now (including a couple of races).

The brain does seem to be functioning properly btw.

Does it sound like the negative air is too high or something else?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.