Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've been diagnosed with dyshidrotic eczema (pompholyx) in the hands, specifically the fingers and I am being treated. However the dermatologist said that I shouldn't ride anymore because of the sweating and the allergenic qualities of the regular riding clothes (lycras and such). Logically I said no way. She recommended using leather grips, no gloves and no lycra, only cotton.

Do anyone have an alternative to this reaaaally old-school approach?

Can Ergon GP1 BioLeder grips do the trick?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I was diagnosed with eczema as well but they didn't specify which kind. My palms/finger tips are dry and cracked. I'm using a steroid cream to heal it but it only kind of works.

I've been trying to figure out what is making contact with my skin that's causing the reaction. My fingers are always worse after I ride but I figured it was the gloves drying them out so a little lotion pre-ride has fixed that. Maybe I should try another glove type...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have eczema and I'm just careful about which body wash I use and try to keep my skin clean and moisturized. I only get it bad on my hands if I get metho or cleaning products on them.

·
Unpredictable
2,208 Posts
Pompholyx is nasty and usually specific to some sort of contact, but aggravated by everything. Sometimes the cause is obvious, like cement. If you think something about your riding, riding attire, pre, or post-ride routine is to blame, then take care.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts