Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2014 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29 It has a Suntour XC fork with 80mm of travel, I want to steer clear of 'XC' forks and get something with more travel is a little better overall, I ride simple trails and don't jump I just like climbing and coming down but the trails I ride are rock and root intensive. I found this one on ebay Marzocchi Micro TI 29 Fork TST | eBay

Will this fork even work with my bike? Do all 29er forks with the 1 1/8 threadless fit this bike. Something tells me its not so simple so I was wondering if I could pick your brains. Thanks Guys

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm going to suggest that this isn't a good idea. the travel is way too high for your frame which will cause loading on your head tube that your frame wasn't designed for. you could stretch up to 100mm but beyond that starts getting a little dangerous, especially if your a bigger rider. Manufacturers also tend to void warranties with modifications like that.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Plenty of XC forks in 100 and 120 mm. Being a XC fork isn't the problem with the Suntour fork.

There are a few standards for steerer tubes lately. Don't get tapered.

I have a Reba. It's a nice fork.

You could probably stick that Marz on your bike, but it would void the warranty and change the bike's handling character a lot. You probably wouldn't like it on climbs.

Since the bike's a '14, also consider whether this is the right pricepoint for you. IME, it's better to start with something with the components I want, rather than upgrading piecemeal.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I want to steer clear of 'XC' forks and get something with more travel is a little better overall, I ride simple trails and don't jump I just like climbing and coming down but the trails I ride are rock and root intensive.
It doesn't sound like you problem is the travel. Your problem is the fact that the Suntour XCT sucks as a fork. I don't even know why they make that piece of crap.
I had it, got rid of the bike and got one with an XCR and it is was 100x better. I live near Pisgah so rocks and roots is standard.

That Bomber is a bad choice of forks. You don't want to put 140mm on that bike. Nor do you need it. Also it has a 15mm thru axle so you would need a new hub (better off buying a whole wheel).

Contact Suntour and get the Raidon through their upgrade program.
I think it is $175 for a new fork.

I would not do anything over 100mm of travel on that bike but 80mm should be fine for what you are doing.

·
Registered
524 Posts
A nice 100mm air fork would be plenty for what you describe. The fork you linked is WAY too much fork for your bike. It's gonna push your front end way up and rake your front end way out. Even if your frame could handle the additional stress (it probably can't and this will void any warrantee you might have) it's gonna ride like crap. Look into the suntour upgrade program. a Raidon is a huge upgrade on what you have, so as long as it's set up right, it'll do great for you. If you want to get away from suntour. RockShox Recon Gold TK's can be had in 100mm and 80mm form on eBay pretty cheap and are a decent entry level air fork or for around $300-$350 you could step up to a RockShox Reba. I have a 120mm Reba, and it's ok, but I'm kind of wishing I would have went with the stiffer Revelation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, Ill definitely stay away from that fork. I could get the Raidon for 175? That's pretty cheap, how does that upgrade program work? Will also look into the reba. I want to keep the length of the steerer tube pretty close also, any way to know what mine is without tearing it apart?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Measure from where the top of the fork crown meets the frame to the stem top cap. That'll get you close. you can cut your new forks steerer to match the length of the old one when you swap'em out.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have no personal experience with it. It will be a big upgrade from you have though. I've heard good things, but I'm not sure how much of that is because people riding it through the upgrade program are going from a pogo stick to a real fork. As far as how it stacks up to a RockShox or Fox product I'm not sure.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Alright, Ill definitely stay away from that fork. I could get the Raidon for 175? That's pretty cheap, how does that upgrade program work? Will also look into the reba. I want to keep the length of the steerer tube pretty close also, any way to know what mine is without tearing it apart?
I wouldn't stay away from that fork, its actually a really good fork, I own and have love it. The seller has it set for 140mm of travel but that fork can be set for 100mm by adding spacers internally.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I have no personal experience with it. It will be a big upgrade from you have though. I've heard good things, but I'm not sure how much of that is because people riding it through the upgrade program are going from a pogo stick to a real fork. As far as how it stacks up to a RockShox or Fox product I'm not sure.
It is a good fork for the price and plenty of fork for your needs.
Next step up I would say go with a Reba for about double that price.

I wouldn't stay away from that fork, its actually a really good fork, I own and have love it. The seller has it set for 140mm of travel but that fork can be set for 100mm by adding spacers internally.
No one is saying it is not a good fork.
However he will have to probably pay somebody to change the travel because (and I mean no offense) his mechanical ability does not seem there. Then on top of that a new front wheel to go from a (well he could buy just the hub but the cost of rebuilding the wheel you may as well buy a new one). By the time he is done he will have about $500 in putting that fork on that bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No offense taken, while I've taken apart almost every part of my older bikes and swapped forks and many other parts myself, I wouldn't feel comfortable messing with the internals of a fork, also because the bike is a 14 I', going to have someone else do the install anyway. I don't think I'm going to beat a price of 189 for the upgrade, and it'll be a lot better than what I'm running now.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Bikes are easy to tear apart and back again. Just getting familiar with it all is going to take time. From what you discribe as to how you will be riding this bike I think the Suntuor upgrade may be you best bet for the $$ and performance level you need. A bike shop will probly charge around $45 to install the fork. I learned how to doit my self and loved it!!
I would also suggest you upgrade your bike's headset too! It will complement your new fork's feel. Go for a sealed bearing headset. Hey if you get the upgrade, the money you save can go elsewere right :)
Good Luck
RIDE!!

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
If you plan to stick with that frame for a while, I'd skip the whole Suntour thing and get a good used fork or maybe save a little more and put on an Xfusion or a Manitou.
Xfusion and Manitou make different levels of forks just like everyone else. They make good stuff that fit many peoples needs. However they are obviously not what fits this riders needs.

The problem with Suntour is not that the brand is junk. The brand is actually pretty decent. However, most peoples experience with them is their super low end pogo sticks they call forks (the xct and xcm) and they assume the rest of the line is just as crappy. Actually once you step up the the XCR you have a pretty decent fork. I know, I rode one all over the gnar of Pisgah for a year. The Raidon will last this user as long as he is on this frame. If he ever outgrows it, he will have also outgrown the frame.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I still ride my '07 Hardrock once a week, give or take. The build sucked, but the frame is just a frame, actually a pretty stiff one with clearance for some big honkin' tires. Not sure how I could outgrow it, or what that would mean.

I'm a little sympathetic to the idea of putting a long-travel fork on the front of one of these frames. Supposedly they were a popular donor frame for AM hardtail builds before those became as much of a thing. Mine might get a 120 or so in the Fall.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.