Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the scrap wood. I thought I'd build a ramp for the local park. Light enough to set up and take home on slow days :) Maybe even leave it at a secret site :) I thought some jump practice might be amusing on slow days.

I built one first. Thought that 3 might be a good number for a little round course.

The first one is 1.5 feet high with a 3.6 foot ramp.

Any thoughts?

I think another 1 footer and a taller dropoff/ladder type ramp might be good. Gotta figure out how to fit it all in the boot though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks good, I'd probably made it a bit longer and put a small curve in the face. Make it more of a kicker ramp. Giving me some good idea's though, I've got a ton of wood left over from building the shed.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The build quality looks good, well done!!

However, take it from me, who has built one just like that and eaten it, build it with a curve if you will be hitting with any kind of speed. Straight like that will buck you like you would not believe. I drew a 10ft radius circle on my garage floor with a string and chalk and cut out the plywood following that profile. Using radii around that value will give you a much more smooth launch.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
changed it up from the comments. I cut it down to 1 foot. I looked at some other designs. Apparently, if I want a 2 footer, I need a 5 foot ramp for a proper slope up. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
647 Posts
This first ramp has a steep slope and would be good on a downhill slope, not so much on flats or low grade descents. I can imagine hitting that any speed would compress your fork and lose speed/momentum to navigate the jump.

The second one looks perfect for any slope. Great workmanship.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
If I saw the 2nd ramp on the trails, I'd hit it.

My only concern would be if you left it out in the woods and it rained. That looks like plywood and un-treated 1x4's? That stuff will warp and rot fairly easily when left out.

·
Nickel Havr
1,177 Posts
If I saw the 2nd ramp on the trails, I'd hit it.

My only concern would be if you left it out in the woods and it rained. That looks like plywood and un-treated 1x4's? That stuff will warp and rot fairly easily when left out.
Or someone will tear it out...

I built up a new trail this summer... And someone wrecked a log-over and a tree ladder I had built. :madmax:
They left the rest of the features alone though...

Here are some pics...
Some of the stuff thats still there...

My buddy Troy hitting the pallet drop in the photos...

And the tree ladder that someone stole along with all our extra wood...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.