Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6-18V 3000mA 3-Mode Circuit Board for XM-LT60 Emitters - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Above is web address for a 3 mode flashlight circuit board.
As I am brand new to this DIY led lights movement I was hoping for some guidance.
Will an item like this drive 3 LEDs? Or will I need 1 of these and 3 (buckpuckss) drivers?
I am sure you realize I have no idea at the min about this but my research is under way!!

Does some one have an idiots guide to led lights please or a basic walk through of parts? Voltage and output can wait until I have worked out what I need!!

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is a buck driver, meaning the battery voltage needs to be 1 volt more than the 3 LED's forward voltage ( 3.4 x 3 + 1 = 12V ) to get the full 3 amp current.

Look here for a customer review Running 3 XML LEDs!

So yes, it can handle 3 3000mA LEDs, like the XM-L, and P7 but the battery will need to be 12 volts or more.

It looks like a good driver and cheap too.

That's all you really need; LEDs (plus lens), Driver and battery. there are other considerations like housings, mounts, waterproofing, etc, but the technical parts are mostly picking compatible electronics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's what I needed to know
There are a few other boards on dx that have 5 modes so will hopefully get one of those as I commute and want the flashing option for at least 2 of the 3 LEDs I plan to run.

·
Registered
270 Posts
There aren't many other drivers on Dx that'll run an XM-L at 3A and the one you have there will do a flashy mode. However the flashy mode on all the Dx drivers is hopeless for commuting. It flashes far, far too fast - normally somewhere between 10 and 14 times a second - and is designed more to disorientate others than to get you noticed. The last thing you want to do to car drivers is disorientate them when you're on a bike.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
You might want to have a 1 watt flasher for the road, and a 10+ watt light for seeing by. Ive heard of motorists pulling off the road after seeing a super bright strobing bike light, thinking it was a police car. I have the flash and SOS modes bypassed from my driver.

Depending on your build it should be pretty easy to setup. You would need a second driver for the lower power LED though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plan is to put 3 LEDs in a row at the end of the stem. I could have 2 switches 1 for the flasher (anyone reccomend a driver?) and 1 for the 2 constant LEDs.

Each led set needing a seller ate driver but both being powered from same battery pack!

Possible?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.