Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And if you don't like it, you can suck by 9" Black Mamba (pictured below if you don't believe me), with color coordination inspired by CF, a la Crazy Fo (props to my man Fred too for the wheel hookup :thumbsup: )

And of course the main dawg involved in making this happen, at great prices and service, is Chad, aka nwmtb on mtbr, of Redbarn Bicycles….HIGHLY recommended for all biking needs.

In my infinite wisdom, to celebrate paying off my taxes by selling 3 bikes recently, I decided to reward myself by buying a new bike. This is not a formal PRO REVIEW, as I have yet to ride the bike and per my blahg charter, a PRO REVIEW on a bike one owns must be ridden at least once.

Let me start by disclosing the ONLY complaint I have about the build…certainly not the saddle, but the Model NAME of the Saddle.

I am very very uncomfortable with anything having to do with LyNx near my arse. Having said that, my e-riding, which is whey friggin GnarCore warrants a badazz brand such as Chromag. I sure as hell hope it wasn't made in Barbados though…

No offense to Turner, but the "stock" stickers are way beneath me and very not kewl in their color scheme…and as such, had custom stickers made for the frame which are way psickerer looking. Props to Ryan big time rufusphoto.com…highly recommended.

Similarly, and actually FAR more important to me was to abandon the lame azz red REBA stickers that come with the fork….are you kidding me? Same chap hooked me up here…along with frame sticker (frame sticker actually was in stock when I asked), we discussed some thoughts and from the first email I sent, he had the actual products we agreed on shipped within a day! Since stickers made, if you too want to improve your e-riding, stickes are on his website too so easy to order.

While it's painful for me to admit, but joyful in the sense that it pisses AquaDoucheaholic off, I opted to finally try a Gravity Diaper type device. Having said that, the original Gravity Diaper looks (more) horrid, and considering the options out there, and certainly not wanting a shim, went with the RASE Black Mamba, since its less common (e-rider rule #1 to look the part - always select non Homer-approved parts). 9" inches of drop, biatch (not that I need it but still).

We will see if I like it for other than e-riding…there are lever options but the small version was chosen and its actually pretty cool and noninvasive...put on left side as opposed to intended right side but either works. Very easy to engage and nicely placed so no need to move hands much on grip to do so...perfect for my GnarCore e-riding skillz.

The ONLY parts that are not brand spanking new are those from my Scandal (1 of 3 bikes I sold recently - though only ridden less than 5 times to virtually new parts anyway). I kept the whole of the XTR kit and sold rest of Scandal with aforementioned XTR parts moved to Sultan (with Goodridge brake cables added of course). In the spirit of e-riding GnarCore, note the Chromag rear skewer …Chromag stuff is whey psick though unfortunately very hard to get (1 man shop) but stoked that my dawg Chad from Redbarn pre-warned me about parts available.

Also, the Chromag OS bars are psick!!! 730mm of psickness in fact!! The bar purchase in particular brought me great joy because AquaDoucheAholic upon seeing an early pic of the bar called Chad but alas, there was only one and it had my name on it! Good times…

And of course my OCD warranted the usual, some level of matching bar end caps and Chadley recommended some whey b!tchin versions, in white of course.

As noted above, my e-riding skills are whey badazz so it was Chromag everywhere possible. In truth, not that I honestly care, the Chromag (90mm) Ranger stem pictured below is not really a pig at all and is relatively close to the poseurs favorite, the Thomson X4…but far less poseurish.

And nothing says badazz e-rider like altering stock paint choices. Primarily because standard polished rear is Homer-approved, in addition to me simply wanting it to be PCd, I opted for black PC, a la Crazy Fred, and am whey stoked I did (CF was consulted in the making of this bike build).

Complete build is below, with another "bar" shot plus full bike pics follow.

Frame --> Large Sultan w/ Black-PCd rear
Fork --> REBA (fixed travel) 120mm w/ Maxle
Brakes --> Shimano XTR BM975 w/ Goodridge
Cranks --> Shimano XTR M970
Frt derailleur --> Shimano XTR M971
Rear Derailleur --> Shimano XTR M972
Shifters --> Shimano XTR M970
Cassette --> Shimano XTR M970 11-32t
Shifter Cables --> Jagwire DIY w/ "Titanium" housing
Pedals --> Shimano XTR
Stem --> Chromag Ranger 90mm
Handlebar --> Chromag OS , 730mm x 25.4" rise
Seatpost --> RASE Black Mamba remote adjustable (9") post
Saddle --> Chromag Lynx
Headset --> FSA Orbit Extreme Pro
Grips --> Intense Lock on
Tires --> Maxxis Ardents (front / rear)
Wheels --> Spinergy Xyclone Disc , running w/ tubes
Rear Skewer --> Chromag

Weight = 30.7 lbs

and yes, I know...fork does not look like 120mm. pics were snapped before even riding and setting up shock pressure so yeah, its just a bunch of negative PSI reducing the travel accordingly

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm from the UK so have almost no understanding of any of the words you have written, but that is a revoltingly beautiful bicycle.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John Jencks said:
I'm from the UK so have almost no understanding of any of the words you have written, but that is a revoltingly beautiful bicycle.
I am from the US and I too have no idea...but cheers for your words!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tl1 said:
...style points for sure. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to ride too. :)
thanks...style points are all I am looking for. i prefer e-riding over real riding anyway

·
Formerly of Kent
12,765 Posts
FoShizzle said:
thanks...style points are all I am looking for. i prefer e-riding over real riding anyway
As clearly shown by your 22t/32t/Bash setup.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OldHouseMan said:
Not bad...But the cable for yer retarder post is gonna get ripped off for sure. Thats if it ever gets ridden.
as always, room for tinkering before it actually gets ridden...

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
I thought the charter read that once the bike or product was actually ridden it required a LONG TERM PRO REVIEW, wtf?

Notes on build:
* The bike is Fing ugly, especially that rear, BARF!
* Nice post remote lever, is that a custom 1 finger Aqua brake lever?
* Your fork certainly does not appear to be a 120, might want to check that
* Those Twenty6 bar ends are a kin to drinking PBR, WAY Fing GHEY
* Orbit Pro headset?? I hope you AT LEAST put ceramic bearings in it

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rroeder said:
I thought the charter read that once the bike or product was actually ridden it required a LONG TERM PRO REVIEW, wtf?

Notes on build:
* The bike is Fing ugly, especially that rear, BARF!
* Nice post remote lever, is that a custom 1 finger Aqua brake lever?
* Your fork certainly does not appear to be a 120, might want to check that
* Those Twenty6 bar ends are a kin to drinking PBR, WAY Fing GHEY
* Orbit Pro headset?? I hope you AT LEAST put ceramic bearings in it
your jealousy is ugly...have fun with your antiquated V1

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Le Duke said:
As clearly shown by your 22t/32t/Bash setup.
unlike you, my e-riding skillz are strong...i wouldnt expect the average 29er to understand why a third ring is retarded for most applications. My 32t cassette also speaks of gnar since it looks better than 34t

and explain to me, you need the triple run of front because of????? are you a xc racer?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
baycat said:
Chromag makes some great components, along with various colors to coordinate with the rest of the build.
agreed....shockingly, if it matters, their stuff is definitley not heavy either (compared to say Thomson x4)

·