Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know that the DW Link bikes are set up based on sag. What technique do you use to set sag? I usually get on and rock my weight around a bit to get weight distributed in a seated riding position, then set the o-ring once balanced out and then hop off. Any other recommendations?

What pressure are you finding based on your weight? Want to be sure I'm in the right ballpark.

Also - if you're setting 30-35% sag, are you just going by 30-35% of the exposed shock shaft, or is there a recommendation out there in millimeters?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
I assume you're using an airshock? If so, you've got it, thats what the Oring is there for. I suggest starting at about either 28% or 36%, then slowly lowering or raising the pressure until you find a sweet spot that you really like. Once your happy with it, thats the sweet spot - there isn't some magical "suddenly this bike is way better" just find a setting in that range your happy with, call it a day, and go ride
 

·
Committed
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
sthrnfat said:
Know that the DW Link bikes are set up based on sag. What technique do you use to set sag? I usually get on and rock my weight around a bit to get weight distributed in a seated riding position, then set the o-ring once balanced out and then hop off. Any other recommendations?

What pressure are you finding based on your weight? Want to be sure I'm in the right ballpark.

Also - if you're setting 30-35% sag, are you just going by 30-35% of the exposed shock shaft, or is there a recommendation out there in millimeters?
Start with 20 PSI less than your riding weight (in your riding gear w/ hydration pack if you use one), check the O ring following your described procedure. If you are sitting close to 33% sag, go ride it and adjust the air pressure to suite your preferences.
One of the great things about the DW link is that, unlike VPP, it works well over a range of sag points. You want it plush, lower the air pressure, and vice versa. The suspension will work properly regardless.
Enjoy!
 

·
Nothing can stop me now
Joined
·
1,045 Posts
Gonna push that RP23?

JTBAZ,

Are you going to send your RP23 to Push or are you happy with it the way it is? The Push treatment for the RP23 for my TNT Spot was an amazing upgrade...

Coil is still better though...

bobo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts
bobo_krkk_NIN said:
JTBAZ,

Are you going to send your RP23 to Push or are you happy with it the way it is? The Push treatment for the RP23 for my TNT Spot was an amazing upgrade...

Coil is still better though...

bobo
bobo

So far I am happy with the RP23. The stock RP23 works really well. I will probably hold off on getting the RP23 push'd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
5 Spot Setup - I'm running 35psi less than my riding weight. Shock set at 110psi for a 145lbs rider. Gets me just about 35% sag. I check sag with my seat at climbing height, rider seated without bouncing around, etc. Rebound is 5 clicks off of the fastest setting (3 from max rebound damping). Propedal is never needed for any type of climb.

BTW - I was told to use these as starting points - 30psi less than body weight for Spot and 40psi less for Sultan (has less shock leverage).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Regarding Push - I'm strongly considering getting my shock tuned. My buddy has his push'd on the 09 Spot. We both weigh the same, he runs 120psi, I run 110psi. I think I'm getting a little more sag than him with my psi. But he gets through the travel easier without hitting stuff quite as hard as I do (lighter valving from Push). This makes me wonder if I'll bottom out too much with a Push tune running the sag I prefer. I do bottom out my current setup on bigger jumps and drops, it's fine for most rough/aggressive trail situations. Let the pondering continue...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
So, if seems like the TNT Spots ran close to body weight air pressure to give 30 or so %sag, and the new DW Spots give 30 or so % sag at 15 to 20% less than body weight psi. And I thought I read that the new DW Spots are more progressive. Seems like the DW's have to be less progressive giving the above numbers? How am I not thinking of this correctly?
 

·
Committed
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
Phil_S said:
So, if seems like the TNT Spots ran close to body weight air pressure to give 30 or so %sag, and the new DW Spots give 30 or so % sag at 15 to 20% less than body weight psi. And I thought I read that the new DW Spots are more progressive. Seems like the DW's have to be less progressive giving the above numbers? How am I not thinking of this correctly?
To run less psi and still not bottom harshly they would need to be more progressive.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top