Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been riding for years, have worked at shops and owned many bikes. I've seen Turner bikes around for years and know that the folks that ride em love em, but have never owned a Turner til now. DW has gotten rave reviews and that is what really led us to picking up Turner, but now that I see it in person I know that this is a great pairing. DT's quality and attention to detail and the DW Link design could make for a sweet marriage.

Out of the box all I can say is...I'm very impressed! The quality of the welds, the frame alignment, the finish quality, the grease ports - all good stuff. Just the beef of the stays and dropouts alone shows why folks have been raving about stiffness. Wanted to share some pics that show some different angles as the website doesn't do the frame justice. There is alot of detail work going on here. These frames are expensive - but this is one of the few frames where the attention to detail and build quality appear to justify the cost.

This is all based on appearances for now. Got it built up last night and riding today. Will post some more impressions when I've had a chance to spend some time on it.

·
1,316 Posts
Cool shots, thanks for all the close ups. I didnt realize the bottom links were asymmetrical. The bottom bracket junction still looks strange to me but I know that Turner in the past has always chose function over form - and you never see it when you are riding it anyways!

Looking forward to hear your ride impressions...

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Sultan love

I noticed the bushings are lime green. Did PUSH have anything to do with those or is DT using some different material than stock pre-2009 Turners? It's a tough call: I think lime green is slicker than beige but how about PUSH's red? Something more to think about as the winds slam against my house in 70 mph gusts. It's warm, though. Carry on.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
One picture is worth a thousand words. I'm really impressed by the CNC work and the welds, and everything else on the frame for that matter. I even like the new decals. Plus you have the best ever color there (sorry jnc) as it will still look fresh after a year of riding.

That bottom bracket junction is simply an amazing piece of work.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
real frame pics vs Turner site drawings

The frame drawings on the Turner site do not do these frames justice. The pics do a much better job at displaying how great these frames look.

Congrats, sthrnfat!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Great looking frame there! The white looks way better than I expected it to . . . though not enough to make me regret ordering raw.

Now let's hear the post-ride report. . .

·
Registered
723 Posts
really nice bike! is that an XL? i still can't get over the cable placement. i promise not to whine any more if can somebody please explain technically and slowly why all the cables can't elegantly go under the top tube? thanx!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think that the cables aren't all under the top tube for clearance reasons with the upper rocker. It's fairly tight between the rocker and seat tube. At least that's my speculation. I can't back it up technically until I build mine up, though.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
xcguy said:
I noticed the bushings are lime green. Did PUSH have anything to do with those or is DT using some different material than stock pre-2009 Turners? It's a tough call: I think lime green is slicker than beige but how about PUSH's red? Something more to think about as the winds slam against my house in 70 mph gusts. It's warm, though. Carry on.
I'd say that those are lime green o-rings/quad-seals since you typically can't see the bushings (at least on pre-'09 stuff).

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Beautiful frame and photos. A buddy of mine just built a white 09 Sultan. It's an amazing bike when seen in the flesh and he's loving the ride quality. These new designs are high functioning on the trail and very nice to look at too!

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
starre said:
really nice bike! is that an XL? i still can't get over the cable placement. i promise not to whine any more if can somebody please explain technically and slowly why all the cables can't elegantly go under the top tube? thanx!
Yes this is an XL.

The brake and rear derailleur cables connect to the chainstay because there is less movement there compared to the seatstay hence there will be less bowing of the cables/housing. Also, the top tube has a different placement depending on the frame size so it may not work out for the smaller sizes since the top tube placement is much lower than the upper rocker for '09.

Thanks for the sweet pics sthrnfat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.