Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DW Turner arrived on Saturday. I built it up today. She sure is nice. I can't ride it until Wednesday morning (kids, work). I'll definately give my first impressions after. Thanks to Larry Mettler.

Frame: XXL Raw
Weight (frame/shock): 7.40 lbs
Bike weight: 29.49 lbs

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
It's you.

Nah, the more long-legged FS trail bikes are looking more "normal." The steeper HT XC-oriented 29ers still look a little weird.

To the OP: Nice bike.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Ah, now I know why Larry has been so busy lately, all the DW Sultans on order have arrived and he's busy building them up and shipping them - good little Santa's Helper he is ;) :thumbsup: Looks damn nice, can't imagine seeing that size bike with 26" wheels :eek: heck even the 32mm stanchions on the REBA look absolutely punny.

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks...

Fellas. I promise to report back Wednesday evening. These do seem more normal to me now as well. I bet Larry has been building like mad. I feel compelled to shield Larry from the economic crisis. Go consumerism. Just the driveway test has me excited. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
You'll like it

Very nice example of Dave Turner's hard work. His dedication to producing the very best bike really benefits all of us! I own a 08 Sultan, set-up with every bell and whistle you could ask for. The bike is like a dream to me and I love everything about it. This weekend I rode my buddy's 429 Pivot. Man, that is some kind of design they have going on there. I can see why Turner was attracted to it. The Pivot feels like a high performance race car: the frame is rigid / stiff, the susp does NOT bob (you look down all the time to see if the rear even moves), and the handling is all you could ask for. I realized quickly I was on the new and improved design of something for sure. I love my 08 Sultan, it is great, but I bet this new DW linked Sultan is just going to make a lot of riders very very happy.

·
Registered
723 Posts
really a beautiful build and makes me want to upgrade my '07 sultan. great pics and thanx for sharing. waiting to hear your ride report. how tall r u? got to be about 6'6", no? did you go tubeless with the FLOWS? only cosmetic complaint i have on the new sultan is that the rear derailleur and brake cables run on the down tube and look messy. on my '07 XL sultan, all three cables are under the top tube, neatly tucked away and then naturally follow the long side of the rear triangle down to the brake/derailleur. DT are you listening?

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
I see it now, the flood of $2 adds as the Homers go from the 07/08 Turners to the new DWL Sultan. Good time to pick up a great frame for less $$ if you ask me.

Starre - I think the cable routing is probably the best solution. IIRC, Aqua mentioned something about it when he was riding the prototype.

Here's how my 08 XL is routed

·
Registered
723 Posts
i guess you could say the same for old TNT 5-spot if the DW link lives up to the hype. after the many many miles i've got on my '07 sultan i can say it is a tremendous trail XC bike. with the first bite comes the appetite, so i'm personally looking for something a bit more all mountainish to handle the chunkier stuff a bit better.

i didn't understand your reference to Aqua and the cables. i reread his DW review thread and he rerouted the rear cables. the XXL is especially suited for the reroute under the top tube because it joins the seat tube well above the rockers.

Aquaholic: "The reroute I did on the rear derailluer cable worked out just fine. I experienced no ghost shifting or mis-shifts. I prefered the routing as pictured above and I would have liked to try routing the rear brake line in the same fashion. The current routing just looks wrong to my eye, and un-Turner like. "

GreenLightGo said:
I see it now, the flood of $2 adds as the Homers go from the 07/08 Turners to the new DWL Sultan. Good time to pick up a great frame for less $$ if you ask me.

Starre - I think the cable routing is probably the best solution. IIRC, Aqua mentioned something about it when he was riding the prototype.

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here goes...

This is the same info as in the Turner board. Just thought I'd put it here too.

I took it out for it's first ride today. You have got to love the desert. It has rained here (Phoenix area) for roughly 36 hours straight (can't remember the last time that happened). An hour after it stopped I was out on the Sonoran Mtn Preserve trails and they were in great condition. Hardly any standing water, the desert just soaks it up and it helps there is a lot of rocks.

This bike rides really well. My first impression is that it is an improvement from the original Sultan. I had no complaints about the original but was wanting a little more travel and the new suspension was an added bonus to me. I think the DW link works really well. It was very smooth when seated and pedaling in the rough flat areas. When climbing I felt a definate stiffness in the pedal stroke but the suspension was very complient (pedaling definately separate from the suspension action).

This frame is very stiff. I am not a superclyde but with my weight, (~225 lbs with bike costume) I did not notice any lateral frame flex what so ever. The linkage and rearend definately look more substantial when lookin down while riding.

I did not notice the added .7" of travel (compliment). I am certain it was working and was getting full travel out of my rear shock. In the rough downhill sections it worked great. Nice feel (I need to play with rebound) on both the shock and fork.

I am luke warm on the cable routing. It is an vanity issue really. I don't have a better idea either. I didn't have any perfomance issues with it at all. The zip tie for the derrailluer cable on the driveside chainstay did get me a couple times (inside of the calf). I just have to rotate the zip tie.

These are my initial thoughts. I am not the greatest at putting my bike riding experiences in words, but I will post more as I digest it.

For Soupboy, I am only 6' 12" in high heels. In my man clothes I am 6' 4". I have goofy long arms and legs. I can scratch my calves while standing straight up :D .

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
Diggin' the raw look on your Sultan. Glad to see that they're shipping. Other than the ginormous taco, I'd swear it was a medium sized 26" wheeled bike.

Thanks for the ride report. Nice to hear from a TNT Sultan owner who can do a direct comparison.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
2TurnersNotEnough said:
Other than the ginormous taco, I'd swear it was a medium sized 26" wheeled bike.
If I were an enterprising person - I'd develop some sort of little gear bag to fit in there - good place to throw in keys/cell phone/spare tube/C02 cartridges. Kind of like a little seat bag - maybe we call it the 'taco bag'.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.