Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have two "issues" with the new 5 Spot and wanted to check with you.

1- I'm hitting my pedals way to much. I weight 170 pounds dry and I have 170psi on my RP23 to run about 15mm of sag. Is this normal? what can I do about it, I have been throw off the bike because I hit something and it is not even very rocky

2- I'm 5'10 and got a large Spot with a 70mm stem. I changed my bars from 24' to 26-27' when build my new Spot and somehow I think that the large frame plus the short stem and wide bars don't allow me to load the front as much and I'm loosing the front end A LOT on turns
My saddle is forward all the way... Is it possible that the frame is too big for me?
I think that when I get out and back of the saddle, I don't reach very well the bars and that's why I'm not able to maneuver very well...???
Suspension works incredible

Any thoughts..

Thanks

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
BBW, based on above short story, sounds like you may be correct and extra wide bar plus shorter stem combined with L frame may be putting you at disadvantage for handling. What are your crankarm length, inseam, and prior stem/frame dimensions?

As you already suggest, try cheapest troubleshooting starting with longer stem (90-100mm), narrower grip on your current bars (move your controls and grips inboard to check feel before cutting), and perhaps shorter crankarms (say try 170 if you are running 175's). The first two cockpit changes could be enough to get you situated properly to avoid pedal strikes. Sounds like you may be fighting fit issues and therefore pedaling technique gets back seated.

I still tend to run 100mm stems given the amount of climbing we do in the Rockies, and also just switched to wider bars. Both help help keep the front end weighted a bit, but maybe your wingspan and reach on the large frame are stretched too much. YMMV.

Others DWL Homers chime in here, but it also sounds like you may be using more air pressure than needed for proper DWL sag in effort to correct for above challenges?

Good luck, hope it works out and you enjoy the new horse.

·
Registered
267 Posts
SEE MY RECENT POST ON FIRST IMPRESSIONS FROM SETUP ON MY 09 SPOThttp://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=506957
Reading the forums DT stated that the sag on the rear should be 12-15mm but 15mm max!
Make sure when you set sag you put on your riding pack. MY weight is 175 and with all my gear on I am almost 185. Make sure you set the sag with the pro pedal lever on the OFF positon...sounds stupid but some people don't check this. Good luck...you wont be hitting your pedals with 12-13mm sag.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
BBW - As mentioned the longer stem may help with the fit but I'm 5' 11" on a large DW and run a 90mm stem that feels great. Also, how's the stack height up front? Are your handlebars jacked up with spacers, riser stem and bars? If so, that can take away from how much you load the front with weight. Your shock setup doesn't sounds right either. You should start your tuning with 30psi less than your ready to ride weight in the shock. Example - Ride at 170lbs = 140psi in shock - start there then measure sag and ride for feel. You getting thrown might be due to a lack of compression in the shock and also check your rebound setting. I run 4 clicks of rebound and that seems to work well -- However I could see using 3 - 5 clicks based on ride style. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi BBW, I am 5ft8ins and ride a medium dw Spot. I have a 90mm stem and the bike fits perfectly. I suggest trying a longer stem. I know its a smaller frame than yours and about 15mm difference in top tubes however try the longer stem first.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's no way I can run a larger stem, I would be too stretch out.
Right now my seat is all the way forward and my knees are almost 1 inch behind the spindle (pedal); this would put my weight back, unloading the front and not helping me with the steering I think...
I'm running about 1/2 inch of spacer with a riser bar but the seat is level with the bars so I'm not too upright......definitely the wrong size of frame:mad:
Will have to sell it I guess:confused: and get a medium
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
BBW said:
I'm running about 1/2 inch of spacer with a riser bar but the seat is level with the bars so I'm not too upright......definitely the wrong size of frame:mad:
Will have to sell it I guess:confused: and get a medium
Any thoughts?
Slow down BBW - your investment isn't blown yet. 1/2 inch of spacers with a riser bar seems like it could be high if you're 5' 10". What's your inseam? The HT on the new Spot is 5.3" that's pretty tall even w/o spacers. I'm 5' 10 3/4". Check out my setup below. 90mm/10 degree rise stem & riser bars and many times I feel like a lower 3/4" riser bar would be better than what I have. My inseam is long at 35". Maybe if you adjust sag on the shock (30 psi under ready to ride body weight) and lower the stack height things might work better for you. For reference I ride agressive trail/AM.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I can tell you that I'm 5'11" and I ordered a medium Spot. Not sure why Turner specifies a large for my height, I've always had bikes with a 23"-ish top tube (16" Zaskar, 18" RM Element, Medium RacerX). Maybe you can just order a new front traingle from Turner through the crash-replacement program?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'm 5'11 with a 33 inch inseam and the large DW Spot fits me perfectly with a 90mm stem. I sometimes run a 70mm stem for snappy handling, especially on Alpine stuff. The new Turners are super compact. I tried the medium and it was way too cramped and I had a mile of seatpost showing. After many years I now have a bike that fits with no compromises, I've always been that in between medium and large size - thankfully no more!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LncNuvue said:
Slow down BBW - your investment isn't blown yet. 1/2 inch of spacers with a riser bar seems like it could be high if you're 5' 10". What's your inseam? The HT on the new Spot is 5.3" that's pretty tall even w/o spacers. I'm 5' 10 3/4". Check out my setup below. 90mm/10 degree rise stem & riser bars and many times I feel like a lower 3/4" riser bar would be better than what I have. My inseam is long at 35". Maybe if you adjust sag on the shock (30 psi under ready to ride body weight) and lower the stack height things might work better for you. For reference I ride agressive trail/AM.
Thaks Lnc, I'll take the spacer and try. My inseam is 33' and I'm using a 70mm/8 degree stem. I weight 170 plus gear around 180 and with 150psi I was bottoming like crazy. I'll see if taking the spacer moves the weight forward and I will have to take air off the rear... I will post tomorrow.
Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
166 Posts
pics

I would like to see a pic of you on the bike pedaling by the camera. No way you are on the wrong bike, we just need to dial in your position. The pedal banging is a different challenge. Gear up and check the sag, try to put it right at 12-13mm which is where Fox recomends. I have been pushing the XV farther, as I like to ride my bike this way.
What fork are you using? Is it set up right? Tires?

DT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts