Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
486 Posts
Dr_Jekyll said:
Wonder who the other licensees are??
I'm going to e-speculate MAYBE Yeti? If you recall, the original ASR7 rear-end sported a design not unlike this but with the single sided rear triangle it was deemed "not stiff enough" or so they said and went back to what they have today, basically a 575 suspension but with actual pivots instead of the carbon flex points. Hell I wouldn't mind seeing an updated 575 suspension system too.

But thats just a guess on my end.

(edited to add old ASR7 Proto pics with Split-Pivot type axle)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Surprised there wasn't more chatter about this here, but then again I was off testing bikes so I didn't really see the day to day. I just kind of expected to see a 300 post thread about how the design is ...(fill in blank) .

Actually, that Yeti was pretty neat, it had the brake mounted on the Chainstay (single pivot style, not Split Pivot) and reportedly wasn't stiff enough because it did not have any drive chainstay at all.. It's more of a single pivot than a Split Pivot. At any rate, the Split Pivot patent and patent portfolio predates the Yeti by a long time.

·
Banned
486 Posts
_dw said:
Surprised there wasn't more chatter about this here, but then again I was off testing bikes so I didn't really see the day to day. I just kind of expected to see a 300 post thread about how the design is ...(fill in blank) .

Actually, that Yeti was pretty neat, it had the brake mounted on the Chainstay (single pivot style, not Split Pivot) and reportedly wasn't stiff enough because it did not have any drive chainstay at all.. It's more of a single pivot than a Split Pivot. At any rate, the Split Pivot patent and patent portfolio predates the Yeti by a long time.
Thanks for clearing that up, Dave!

That DaVinci AM bike sure looks nice.

·
Registered
984 Posts
_dw said:

You might be interested in these comments;

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/split-pivot-release-2010.html

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Brodiegrrl said:
Yeah, some good ones in there. Like most things on the web there seem to be distributions of excitement, some informed individuals here and there, cynicism, misinformation of many types (both positive and negative), and just some good general hashing it out!

Great stuff!

Dave

·
Registered
984 Posts
_dw said:
Yeah, some good ones in there. Like most things on the web there seem to be distributions of excitement, some informed individuals here and there, cynicism, misinformation of many types (both positive and negative), and just some good general hashing it out!

Great stuff!

Dave
thought you'd enjoy that!

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Power of Money

_dw said:
Yes, Split Pivot predates Trek's ABP.
Goliath is winning :( ?

The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) issued Trek Bicycle a patent on its Active Braking Pivot (ABP) suspension system, #7,837,213, today, 23 November.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
ridewithchucky said:
Whats the difference between Split Pivot & Active Braking Pivot (ABP) if any?
I THINK One connects the chainstay outside the seatstay, while the other sandwiches the seatstay between the chainstay bits.

Pretty ticky tack way to get around a pre-dated pending patent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
I THINK One connects the chainstay outside the seatstay, while the other sandwiches the seatstay between the chainstay bits.

Pretty ticky tack way to get around a pre-dated pending patent.
So sweet F.A difference then?

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
912 Posts
Is the patent office full of crap or the money flows under the carpets

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/a...sued-us-patent-28501?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRMTBHOME

Now, I haven't looked at both designs up close to see the details, but to me they look identical. I mean the patent office saw a difference? I'd like to know what are those differences.

edit, if what Dusty describes is accurate, seems a minute detail/difference to base and merit the granting of a new patent.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Didnt Trek buy that ABP design of Ellsworth or something? I Just checked, Ellsworth tech is called ICT, a bearing where the horst link chainstay pivot is. I wonder if it works like ABP does?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts