Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain the differences between the DW-Link and Maestro suspension. I've studied pictures of the two and the only thing I can see are small differences in the lengths and angles between the pivot points. The new Trek Fuel EX and Top Fuel are also similar in design. I've got a couple hours total time on a Fuel EX 9.9 and it performed great except when getting out of the saddle there was quite a bit of movement in the suspension. Is DW-Link so good that you can stand and have little movement in the rear suspension. Bear in mind I've only been on a few full suspension bikes, but my cycling roots are in off road riding and have been road racing the past decade and need to get back off road. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Go ride them, the differences are pretty noticeable pretty quick. They're both parallel link designs, but there are lots of different parallel/floating link designs, and they're all a bit different.

and yes, trek's are totally different from dwlink/meastro. However, they're not totally different from dw's secondary setup, split pivot (basically the same actually). So far though, no split pivot designs, I kind of have a feeling that trek has won that patent argument - whether through actual right or through having more money to throw at it I have no idea - I suspect dw just doesn't have the funds to defend himself on this one.

Either way, I think I'm gonna invest in a popcorn machine with that fake butter that you can get at the movies.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
William42 said:
Go ride them, the differences are pretty noticeable pretty quick. They're both parallel link designs, but there are lots of different parallel/floating link designs, and they're all a bit different.

and yes, trek's are totally different from dwlink/meastro. However, they're not totally different from dw's secondary setup, split pivot (basically the same actually). So far though, no split pivot designs, I kind of have a feeling that trek has won that patent argument - whether through actual right or through having more money to throw at it I have no idea - I suspect dw just doesn't have the funds to defend himself on this one.

Either way, I think I'm gonna invest in a popcorn machine with that fake butter that you can get at the movies.
Just wait a few months and we'll see about that ;)

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Only one comment on your question about standing and not having much rear suspension action. URT designs accomplished this with great ability...and then they sucked when you stood up in rough terrain too...not a good combo. Some pedal bob contol when pedaling is a good thing, but that balance between desired suspension compliance and pedal bob control is a holy grail that's obviously not the same for everyone. Where do you compromise?...and for who? This is probably why there will never be one main solitary design.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Regarding all the DW-Link designs, while standing and pedaling the Pivot bikes bob very little, the least of the DWL licensed bike brands without firming up the shock damping. However, all the DWL bikes have nearly no bob while accelerating hard while standing for short sprints or finishing steep climbs and such hard pedaling efforts.

I can't comment with ride time experience on the Maestro bob when standing and pedaling because I've never demoed a Maestro bike due to respecting DW's industry leading design and my disdain for the theft of his work by the large Chinese company. DW has said that the Maestro designs are within his patent claim but not as well optimized as his designs.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
derby said:
DW has said that the Maestro designs are within his patent claim but not as well optimized as his designs.
Thats what I thought until recently. I've heard people claim that he says though they look very similar they actually work on different principles. Perhaps he could weigh in on this himself? He posts here occasionally...

I think he even offered an answer in a thread I started about a year ago, unfortunately I've read so much about this since then I can't remember his reply! Can't find it with searching either... :sad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.