Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contradictory to 'out of the saddle' - on my new Turner DW 5Spot I've found in certain rocky cross-trail situations that sitting down (without the need to peddle) is actually better in keeping traction.

Is this right? Its not laziness- I've just found my weight compressing the saddle down increases grip- no bucking etc.

Am I right or wrong?!! :eek:

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
True. Also true with the Sultan. Pretty much true with any reasonably long travel rear suspension. When you stand, the rear end often has less weight on it, so the suspension action firms up back there.

Think of it this way. If you weigh 200 pounds, and stand up, the rear sus now thinks you weigh closer to 160 or so, but you have not softened the shock pressures/spring rate/damping/etc.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I noticed the same thing coming off the HL and TNT spots.
The DW-link seems to want to ride higher in its travel than the previous designs.

I also noticed while riding "parking lot wheelies" that pedaling faster tends to pull the front end down (opposite of every other bike I've ridden). It's weird but I suppose this helps keep the front end down on steep climbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.