Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I'm pretty sure they're just licensing the Split-pivot designed by DW, like Trek does, not combining the Spilt-pivot and DW-link, if that's even possible.

From the article

"We are licensing the Split Pivot design fully intact; we can’t see any reason to modify the system because it’s a great design. The piece that Seven bring to the design is the way in which we’re tailoring the suspension system for the rider – and the way in which we integrate that suspension into the overall design of the bike."

and further down

"These are just a few examples of how we’re optimising the Split Pivot system for the rider; there are many other factors involved but that’s a bit of an overview of how we’re approaching this new design. "

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
unclekittykiller said:
Split Pivot is not DW Link, it is a different design entirely, but also patented by DW. it is similar to Trek's ABP. actually i'm not sure how the two differ, if at all.
nevermind

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
AndyN said:
I'm pretty sure they're just licensing the Split-pivot designed by DW, like Trek does, not combining the Spilt-pivot and DW-link, if that's even possible.

From the article

"We are licensing the Split Pivot design fully intact; we can't see any reason to modify the system because it's a great design. The piece that Seven bring to the design is the way in which we're tailoring the suspension system for the rider - and the way in which we integrate that suspension into the overall design of the bike."
Well after that short burst of e-engineering I do believe you are correct.

Move on, nothing to see here.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
Since we're talking split pivot, Spooky Bikes (out of Easthampton, Mass.) is also about to offer DW SplitPivot bikes...a DH bike and a 650b (compatible) 6" travel bike called the Mothership.

blog

website

Check 'em out...they are funny people that seem to make nice stuff. Mickey is Suspect Device on mtbr.

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
geolover said:
Since we're talking split pivot, Spooky Bikes (out of Easthampton, Mass.) is also about to offer DW SplitPivot bikes...a DH bike and a 650b (compatible) 6" travel bike called the Mothership.

blog

website

Check 'em out...they are funny people that seem to make nice stuff. Mickey is Suspect Device on mtbr.
Nothing about FS bikes on their site...

·
Registered
754 Posts
unclekittykiller said:
Split Pivot is not DW Link, it is a different design entirely, but also patented by DW. it is similar to Trek's ABP. actually i'm not sure how the two differ, if at all.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't trek more or less steal the ABP/Split Pivot idea from DW before the patent was finalized?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
NWfreeride said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't trek more or less steal the ABP/Split Pivot idea from DW before the patent was finalized?
If I recall correctly -- please don't hold me to this -- the forum rumor was that Dave showed his design to Trek and from that they spit out their ABP, without licensing anything from Dave. They were publicly announced at approximately the same time, but obviously Trek brought the ABP to market right away. Dave commented that his Split Pivot design doesn't stop at the pivot; it goes further into forward pivot, rocker and shock placement to maximize ride qualities in ways I don't understand and that Trek chooses to ignore.

Happy to see Split Pivot finally coming to market.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
why would anyone want a ti full suspension bike?? ti is great for hardtails and roadbikes but has no advantage as a fs bike and cost is prohibitive with no technical advantages. great to see split pivot getting licensed but it's a waste at seven. if those guys design a fs bike with their current geometry it will be otb for anyone riding it

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
qbert2000 said:
why would anyone want a ti full suspension bike?? ti is great for hardtails and roadbikes but has no advantage as a fs bike and cost is prohibitive with no technical advantages.
Why, you ask? Well, the advantage of an fs ti DW bike is that Jaybo might have a new target for his price whining! ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.