Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 160 of 1975 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pressure loss possibility

Anyone find the source of the air pressure loss? I'm having the same problem, it's losing ~10psi every 2 weeks or so. We've had a lot of temperature variations the last few weeks, but I've never had that cause a variation in suspension, though.
I found this issue after adding volume spacers. I took the shock off the bike and cleaned thoroughly all the surfaces and regreased the o-ring. Pressure stayed constant again for months. I have since changed the volume spacers (this time with shock on the bike) and it leaks again so I am checking and adding pressure before each ride. I'm presuming if i do the same as before it will resolve it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question about the sizing.. My bike should have a 200x57 shock. But the topaz I purchased seems to say 200x51/57? How can it be both?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
I believe the 200mm eye to eye size has internally adjustable stroke length between 51 and 57mm. They're just set at the factory in different sizes, hence the difference when ordering. IIRC

·
Registered
37 Posts
Subbing - currently have the topaz on a trance 2015 Medium (200x57). 3 bands in positive 1 band in negative and i love it!

Previously had a DBInline. maybe it's my lack in tuning the thing (i did lots of research and played around with it) but the DB was definitely better than stock, however nothing close to the Topaz. I ride local trails and flowy track runs on whistler, but the DBinline couldn't keep up after 20 mins of riding.

Also I had pressure "leak" every time I rode my bike eg. my sag went from 20 to 30% and I would have to increase pressure. I haven't tried cleaning the seals but upon reading the installation guide, once everything is setup on your bike, it mentioned something about adjusting the bladder PSI along with the main chamber PSI before riding. This is something I overlooked which may have caused the "leak" in the main chamber as PSI needed to equalize between the negative which is affected by the bladder PSI also.

Moving the topaz over to a Reign 2015 Medium Frame in the next couple of weeks, but most likely won't be able to give insights until weather warms up!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey all, that is the 2nd reference I've seen to adding bands in the positive and negative.
I've currently got 3 bands in the positive, none in the negative.
Though I am finding I am blowing through the midrange a bit too easily I think.
Would adding an additional band to the positive side help this?
Thanks
Joel

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey all, that is the 2nd reference I've seen to adding bands in the positive and negative.
I've currently got 3 bands in the positive, none in the negative.
Though I am finding I am blowing through the midrange a bit too easily I think.
Would adding an additional band to the positive side help this?
Thanks
Joel
there was a post on FB from Dvo along with a graph of adding bands in the negative:

Here's a tech tip on the effect of adding negative bands or volume reducers to the negative side of the Topaz air can. As you can see in the graph the initial part of the travel becomes more supported then transitions nicely into the mid stroke. This would work well on leverage curves that start off high or more linear bikes.

The graphic shows that the more band you put in the negative, the less force is needed to engage the first 20mm of the stroke. The force of negative bands becomes the same as no bands in mid stroke 27mm onwards. It didn't show any information on bands on the positive but since we know it's for bottom out resistance, on a graph you can imagine that it will take more force to engage the last 35mm+ stroke.

Maybe i am wrong but from understanding this, bands in either positive or negative won't affect mid stroke significantly, so to solve your situation:

1) Add more PSI - this will increase the overall force to engage in any part of the stroke.
2) Add a band to negative - this will decrease the force to engage first stroke. This also helps with setting ur sag
3) Remove a band or 2 in positive - this will retain your current force for the end stroke to engage.

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
In case anyone is interested, the 50, and 57mm stroke shocks, are physically the same. Just a addition/removal of a nylon spacer converts it. Confirmed by a DVO tech, just figured it may help someone out.

That said, a custom stroke between 50 and 57, is totally possible with some sanding, or a 3D printer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found this issue after adding volume spacers. I took the shock off the bike and cleaned thoroughly all the surfaces and regreased the o-ring. Pressure stayed constant again for months. I have since changed the volume spacers (this time with shock on the bike) and it leaks again so I am checking and adding pressure before each ride. I'm presuming if i do the same as before it will resolve it.
Just following up on this. I managed to clean the o rings and re-grease them, and now the shock holds pressure perfectly - even after a few weeks

·
Registered
260 Posts
I pick up my new Hightower Saturday :D

Do you need separate mounting hardware for the DVO? If so, where did you get it?

Here's my Hightower. Red decals should be here this week. So far night and day difference from the Monarch and just as good if not better than the Float X I had on my last bike. I need a few more rides to dial it in though.

I'm 230 geared up, running 215 psi, 2 spacers on the negative side and 4 clicks of rebound. I think I need to bump up the psi a bit.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey thanks, not use to that level of customer engagement! Was just on their site and they have all the parts there, very impressed.

One last question, where did you source the custom decals for the Topaz (I didn't see those on the site)?

Nice! Congrats man!

I got the mounting hardware directly though DVO. Just call them up and they'll get you taken care of.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I pick up my new Hightower Saturday :D

Do you need separate mounting hardware for the DVO? If so, where did you get it?

I used the same mounting hardware on my 5010 that came with the Fox shock...it works with the DVO too

I also ordered my custom graphic from Invisiframe....shipped out pretty quick, and their customer service is great

·
Registered
303 Posts
Anyone had the opportunity to test out the difference between DVO topaz and Jade on the same bike and could feel a real difference besides weight and which ?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Anyone had the opportunity to test out the difference between DVO topaz and Jade on the same bike and could feel a real difference besides weight and which ?
Cheers
I haven't had the chance yet but as soon as it drys out around here enough I'm going to demo a jade on my riot just to see how it feels compared to the topaz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
I haven't had the chance yet but as soon as it drys out around here enough I'm going to demo a jade on my riot just to see how it feels compared to the topaz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As someone wants to trade his topaz against my jade I only have time to friday to decide : -D could you pleeeeease Do me a favor and get to ride the next days till thursday. I really would be thankful :)
Especially nice is the possibility to add neg spacers to lower initial force and add midsupport

·
Registered
315 Posts
Cheers
I have ridden both on my DVO Edition Intense Tracer 275c. I had experience with coil shocks on my DH bikes and was looking forward to the plushness of the Jade. It never happened. I am pretty good at dialing in pre-load, rebound, compression and other settings to get things right for me. In 6 rides, I was not happy. I've never had a coil shock on a bike I intended to climb on (a trail bike) so I found myself running too much rebound damping to keep it from bobbing while climbing. It was skittery and easily overwhelmed on high speed descents through foot-deep holes and braking bumps. Probably because of the rebound setting.

After 6 rides, I decided to experiment with my Cane Creek Inline that I had which happened to have the right dimensions. Other than instantly dropping a pound of weight, it was more plush and climbed better. The bike was no longer overwhelmed on descents, and was a lot more solid climbing than with the coil Jade.

I now have a Topaz on it. It's perfect. As plush as the Cane Creek, but it will not overheat. The three-position switch offers much better climbing support than the CC climb switch, while still allowing travel for uphill traction. After 12 serious rides, really testing the shock through rock gardens, 3-4' drops, high speed chop, slow speed steeps with significant rock roll downs and even some flowy, bermy trails, what I can say is - the shock "disappears." I never notice it - and that's extremely high praise from a picky suspension snob.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have ridden both on my DVO Edition Intense Tracer 275c. I had experience with coil shocks on my DH bikes and was looking forward to the plushness of the Jade. It never happened. I am pretty good at dialing in pre-load, rebound, compression and other settings to get things right for me. In 6 rides, I was not happy. I've never had a coil shock on a bike I intended to climb on (a trail bike) so I found myself running too much rebound damping to keep it from bobbing while climbing. It was skittery and easily overwhelmed on high speed descents through foot-deep holes and braking bumps. Probably because of the rebound setting.

After 6 rides, I decided to experiment with my Cane Creek Inline that I had which happened to have the right dimensions. Other than instantly dropping a pound of weight, it was more plush and climbed better. The bike was no longer overwhelmed on descents, and was a lot more solid climbing than with the coil Jade.

I now have a Topaz on it. It's perfect. As plush as the Cane Creek, but it will not overheat. The three-position switch offers much better climbing support than the CC climb switch, while still allowing travel for uphill traction. After 12 serious rides, really testing the shock through rock gardens, 3-4' drops, high speed chop, slow speed steeps with significant rock roll downs and even some flowy, bermy trails, what I can say is - the shock "disappears." I never notice it - and that's extremely high praise from a picky suspension snob.

1)My jade, of course, offers great Support in the mids. How does the topaz compare in that Department?

2)did you have enough sag with the jade?

141 - 160 of 1975 Posts