Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tallboy LTC came with a dual position Revelation RC3. I like the ability to drop it down to 110mm on climbs, but honestly have not used it as much as I thought I would.

It feels OK, I can't think of anything that i really don't like about it. It has some things that I don't think are as good as they could be:
-to get it really smooth on the little stuff I have to drop the air low enough that it feels soft into the mid range.
-I also notice that it does not seem to use the full travel. It really ramps up hard around 100mm so the most I seem to get is 120mm of the 140mm. That is certainly in part because I don't do really big stuff that might bottom it out, but have not taken it onto some of the faster rougher trails just yet.
-Tuning options are limited (LSC, rebound, and the three way platform for high speed), no real HSC
-seems to have more stiction than I'm used to and Fox/Pike options

I really like the DVO Diamond. 150mm, 35mm stanctions, and very tunable. I used to ride only Marzocchi stuff from the glory days (Z2, Atom Race, etc) so I like how these guys make stuff (they are the old Marzocchi team).

If anyone has experience with both, how do they compare in terms of:
-opening them up for tuning and maintenance
-reliability...who services their fork as often as they should?
-tuning
-performance on rough singletrack and SoCal type descents (rutted, rocky, and loose)
-lateral stability/rigidity
-other differences to note?

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
The Revalation isnt in the same world as DVO.

DVO, Fox 36, Pike, Ohlins, out of all these super high ends forks, I would still pick DVO everyday.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should know for sure in a week or two. One is on the way. Now to sell all those other parts collecting dust!

·
Registered
348 Posts
The DVO blows my old Pike RCT3 away. The pike always felt spikey on bigger consecutive hits. The DVO just eats them up and asks for more.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I cant speak on DVO personally but if your a tinkerer and like setup and adjustability go DVO as ive heard good things but setup is alot more off feel.

If your like me and you just want it to be right out of the box do yourself a favor and order a pike (new one with updated seal head)

This comes from someone who spent alot of time and money getting my fox push tuned and still not being as happy as i am with a pike.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,402 Posts
15mm axles on 160mm forks are silly.
Not really important. Important=stanchion size and crown material for single crown forks. These are far more important for torsional flex and preventing fore-aft movement/binding.

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cant speak on DVO personally but if your a tinkerer and like setup and adjustability go DVO as ive heard good things but setup is alot more off feel.

If your like me and you just want it to be right out of the box do yourself a favor and order a pike (new one with updated seal head)

This comes from someone who spent alot of time and money getting my fox push tuned and still not being as happy as i am with a pike.
I'm definitely a tinkerer. I'd open up my Z2 and adjust the oil height 1-2mm to get just a bit more linear travel.

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speaking of 15mm vs 20mm. I'm not sure what I have. I had assumed 15mm given how popular they are. I was also under the impression that 20mm = Tools and 15mm = tool-less. Mine has a Maxel so I thought it was 15mm, but I see RS does make a 20mm Maxel. (My last bike is a standard 5mm QR and I didn't keep up with the tech from about 2005 to 2015).

Hubs are Sunn Blackflag Pro so they could be changed to 15mm if they are 20mm. However I'd sure prefer not to do that. Can anyone say what size this is (traveling for the Holidays so not there to measure)?

2016-11-18 12.26.53.jpg
2016-11-18 12.26.46.jpg

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
Not really important. Important=stanchion size and crown material for single crown forks. These are far more important for torsional flex and preventing fore-aft movement/binding.
Spot on. As a 190 lb rider, I feel fore aft flex a lot and it bugs me. My Fox 36 with a 15mm feels super stiff. Doesnt need 20mm.

·
Registered
455 Posts
At 235lbs, 15mm axles are silly on 160mm forks. There is no reason not to have 20mm. I can understand a 15mm replacing the 9mm on XC forks but on long travel forks it's just a industry standard that makes no sense. I really can't understand why people are so adamant that 15mm axles are so "stiff enough"

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
At 240 pounds, you arent the target market for most forks. Im heavier than most of our customers and im 200 kitted up.

There are 20mm options, speak with your dollars.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
At 235lbs, 15mm axles are silly on 160mm forks. There is no reason not to have 20mm. I can understand a 15mm replacing the 9mm on XC forks but on long travel forks it's just a industry standard that makes no sense. I really can't understand why people are so adamant that 15mm axles are so "stiff enough"
The 20mm vs. 15mm axle was beaten to death years ago. Manufacture savings, standardization - big reasons on the whole for 15mm only. You don't have to agree with the manufactures but it is what it is. As mentioned there is more to the "stiffness" equation than just the axle.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts