Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have tried both. My issues are:

A, I have carpel tunnel so I need decent small bump support

B, My weight can fluctuate 30lbs since in a year, so having a fork tuned by someone else for a given weight may present a problem.

The fork will be set at 140mm travel and both have peaked my interest. Can anyone who either has tried both, or has similar experience with one of the fork give me their impression?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,347 Posts
Please explain "small bump support". All sizes and shapes of small bumps? Not larger bumps? What is a "small" bump to you?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please explain "small bump support". All sizes and shapes of small bumps? Not larger bumps? What is a "small" bump to you?
Fast chatter, rock gardens, smaller hits in the first few inches of travel that can cause the shock to pack up. Not the big hits from drops and such.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Go read through the "I absolutely hate my Pike" thread. It's not your fork, it's the awful damping tune they put in the RC model. Just a basic revalve should fix your problem. My advice would be to send it to Vorsprung, as they are offering a luftcappe upgrade & a revalve for about $200.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,347 Posts
Fast chatter, rock gardens, smaller hits in the first few inches of travel that can cause the shock to pack up. Not the big hits from drops and such.
Well, a small hit can be "small" at slow speed, or at high speed slamming into a small bump can be quite an impact, that's why most people differentiate between high shaft speed and low shaft speed impacts, not bump size.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, a small hit can be "small" at slow speed, or at high speed slamming into a small bump can be quite an impact, that's why most people differentiate between high shaft speed and low shaft speed impacts, not bump size.
Ok, yeah the high shaft speed packing, I hear most people call it small bump.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go read through the "I absolutely hate my Pike" thread. It's not your fork, it's the awful damping tune they put in the RC model. Just a basic revalve should fix your problem. My advice would be to send it to Vorsprung, as they are offering a luftcappe upgrade & a revalve for about $200.

Thanks, I am thinking about getting their negative chamber mod, along with an avalanche cartridge. If I keep the Pike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What I'm saying is that you don't need an avalanche cartridge to get the feeling you want, you just need a HSC circuit that actually opens. Vorsprung will do the revalve to make that happen, and install a luftcappe, for $200. The avalanche cartridge & the charger are almost the same thing, once you have a tune that actually works.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I'm saying is that you don't need an avalanche cartridge to get the feeling you want, you just need a HSC circuit that actually opens. Vorsprung will do the revalve to make that happen, and install a luftcappe, for $200. The avalanche cartridge & the charger are almost the same thing, once you have a tune that actually works.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
817 Posts
One of buddies has issues with hands and did the FAST kit with his lyrik and loves it, says he doesn't have any hand issues anymore.

Rock Shox Fork Service - Rock Shox Shock Service - Rock Shox Pricing - Mountain Bike Suspension
Thanks for the link here, love my RCT3 Pikes (2) currently but I'll likely do this for them next year late in the season. The amount of labor involved here is pretty high for the $185 service charge (not to mention the cost of parts) and it'll likely have some entirely positive results.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,347 Posts

Except you'll still have a bladder-based system that can leak out (after a few times, I was done), you won't have the anti-bottoming cone that avalanche can put on their damper (seriously impressive for big hits/drops), won't have the simple oil changes that the cartridge has, etc. The Avy cartridge has been well worth it. Point the bike at a massive root-complex and speed and it just disappears. Somehow it finds traction off camber in crazy rough terrain, and so on. You can even adapt it to other forks. Combined with the avy rear tune, my bike can ride XC or epic stuff all day, and then the next day for DH, I never feel like I need a "bigger bike" due to the suspension quality.

And I had a Diamond. I could not get the high speed damping to work well, at least as well as I wanted/expected. The Avy lyrik is way beyond it. I get a lot more firm low-speed compression than any OEM fork I've ever felt, yet it blows off for the fast sharp edged hits and chunk at speed. On any other fork I've had, dialing in this much LSC makes the fork feel like a jackhammer when the speed and roughness picks up.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Except you'll still have a bladder-based system that can leak out (after a few times, I was done), you won't have the anti-bottoming cone that avalanche can put on their damper (seriously impressive for big hits/drops), won't have the simple oil changes that the cartridge has, etc. The Avy cartridge has been well worth it. Point the bike at a massive root-complex and speed and it just disappears. Somehow it finds traction off camber in crazy rough terrain, and so on. You can even adapt it to other forks. Combined with the avy rear tune, my bike can ride XC or epic stuff all day, and then the next day for DH, I never feel like I need a "bigger bike" due to the suspension quality.

And I had a Diamond. I could not get the high speed damping to work well, at least as well as I wanted/expected. The Avy lyrik is way beyond it. I get a lot more firm low-speed compression than any OEM fork I've ever felt, yet it blows off for the fast sharp edged hits and chunk at speed. On any other fork I've had, dialing in this much LSC makes the fork feel like a jackhammer when the speed and roughness picks up.

Thank you this is the exact kind of post I was looking for. You discribe the trails I ride and what I want. And like the ease of maintaining the avy cartridge.

Do you get these results with out a lot of brake dive?

·
Registered
167 Posts

That's all well & good, but the point i was making is simply that the problem with the charger isn't that it can't do what he wants, but that it wasn't tuned that way in the RC. & that if he's stretching the budget to get an avalanche, there's a cheaper option that will get him a tune that will not kill his hands, & get a better air spring to boot.

I don't doubt that you had issues with your pike, but RS has made running changes to fix those issues. Lots of people(including myself) have had zero reliability problems with the charger.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,347 Posts
Lots of people(including myself) have had zero reliability problems with the charger.
I installed those parts from the "running changes". They worked for a while.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I installed those parts from the "running changes". They worked for a while.
& I had to replace the air spring seals out of the box because the negative spring wasn't charging, & leaking air into the lowers when it finally did. If I used your logic, I'd be telling him to get the DVO because The air spring side of the pike is fatally flawed.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,347 Posts
& I had to replace the air spring seals out of the box because the negative spring wasn't charging, & leaking air into the lowers when it finally did. If I used your logic, I'd be telling him to get the DVO because The air spring side of the pike is fatally flawed.

The dual position relies more on seals, the solo air is pretty bombproof as far as the air spring, the negative bleed is a divot at the top of travel, pretty easy to control. With the higher anti squat bikes that don't lift the front end so bad during climbs, travel adjust is not so critical IME. My DVO also had the knocking problem, forget if it was the air or damper side, but had to send the fork in to get it fixed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The dual position relies more on seals, the solo air is pretty bombproof as far as the air spring, the negative bleed is a divot at the top of travel, pretty easy to control. With the higher anti squat bikes that don't lift the front end so bad during climbs, travel adjust is not so critical IME. My DVO also had the knocking problem, forget if it was the air or damper side, but had to send the fork in to get it fixed.
I have a solo air. & The problem I had is pretty common. They even made a change to the lower seal head to try make it happen less. & That divot fills with grease, especially out of the box, & doesn't allow the negative spring to charge for a lot of people. But every fork has issues, which is why I'm not about to start telling people to stay away from Pikes because I had an issue with mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts