Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a click in my fork and DVO said it may be the OTT spring, and to take a look and grease it and make sure the spring is clipped in.

Cartridge is out of the fork. There's a black ring that requires a 27mm cone wrench, and there's a green cap/ threaded piece. They said to use a heat gun on the threads to deal with the loctite, then hold the core wrench on the black ring, and use a pin spanner to unscrew the green piece from the black ring. I can't get this thing to budge, and the spanner is starting to leave a tool mark on the green thing.

Anyone done this before? Am I doing anything glaringly wrong?

Thank you!
Office supplies Writing implement Wood Cylinder Bicycle part

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Yeah that earlier style cartridge was sometimes a ***** to get undone the first time. At least there is no seal in there so any damage will only be cosmetic (most likely) as you will almost definitely be leaving some marks on it!

I think I found it helped to use proper 30mm cartridge clamps to hold it steady enough to get some force on it. I'll message you a couple more tips!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
On the older style you're gonna mar the green nut a little bit with ring clip pliers. It takes a fair amount of heat and elbow grease to get it all apart. Be sure once you have the green nut broken loose to relieve all the air pressure before going any further or the cartridge becomes a grenade, don't ask how I know:ROFLMAO:. When I do any service on my Diamond I just use my bike stand clamp to hold the cartridge it works fine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both!

Yeah the instructions (that are only for non boost btw, so the wrong one, but all there is) called for a pin spanner, which I have. Then I saw the picture and saw those snap ring pliers. If I'm being polite the pin spanner is...inadequate, so getting the pliers. The spanner just can't get in there deep enough.

Have it in a stand now (thanks for that tip) and will eventually get the right vise clamp for the future. Also going to tap it like you said Johnny. Going to see if I can't get some snap ring pliers locally then give it another go. Gonna break the spanner at this rate if I keep going.

Either way good reason to get some new tools... always wanted a heat gun anyway. I don't think I've ever needed a 27mm cone wrench before but that definitely helps. Unior was the only 27mm I could find... Park and Abbey apparently don't even make them.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thank you both!

Yeah the instructions (that are only for non boost btw, so the wrong one, but all there is) called for a pin spanner, which I have. Then I saw the picture and saw those snap ring pliers. If I'm being polite the pin spanner is...inadequate, so getting the pliers. The spanner just can't get in there deep enough.

Have it in a stand now (thanks for that tip) and will eventually get the right vise clamp for the future. Also going to tap it like you said Johnny. Going to see if I can't get some snap ring pliers locally then give it another go. Gonna break the spanner at this rate if I keep going.

Either way good reason to get some new tools... always wanted a heat gun anyway. I don't think I've ever needed a 27mm cone wrench before but that definitely helps. Unior was the only 27mm I could find... Park and Abbey apparently don't even make them.

DVO has service guides for both boost/non boost forks on website. Yours appears to be boost. So yeah you'll need snap ring pliers for that one, there's a snap ring under the green nut.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Thank you both!

Yeah the snap ring pliers seem to be the most effective tool, DVO NZ have produced a proper tool for the Onyx seal heads for this job, but no diamond at this stage sadly

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DVO has service guides for both boost/non boost forks on website. Yours appears to be boost. So yeah you'll need snap ring pliers for that one, there's a snap ring under the green nut.
Yeah it's boost. They have everything for the boost there except for the air cartridge service unfortunately.

But just so I'm 100%, the green nut unthreads from the black part (which is held by the 27mm wrench) first. Then after the green thing is out of the black thing, there's a snap ring I then have to address, right?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Yeah it's boost. They have everything for the boost there except for the air cartridge service unfortunately.

But just so I'm 100%, the green nut unthreads from the black part (which is held by the 27mm wrench) first. Then after the green thing is out of the black thing, there's a snap ring I then have to address, right?

the green thing sits inside the tube and presses outwards against the circlip, then the black lock ring holds it in place, ie the tube doesn’t have threads

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the green thing sits inside the tube and presses outwards against the circlip, then the black lock ring holds it in place, ie the tube doesn’t have threads
Wait so nothing is threaded at all? I had assumed the green thing with the slots in it had male threads and the inner diameter of the black ring had female threads, and that the first step was putting the whole tube in a clamp, holding the 27mm on the black thing, then using a pin spanner or the circlip pliers to unthread the green thing out of the black thing. I don't see a circlip anywhere, unless it's inside out of sight maybe.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok that makes sense and I just got it out. Thank you!

I thought the green thing needed to back out of the black thing. I was actually tightening it. I heated it, tapped it gently, held the green thing with a pin spanner, then used the 27mm. Had to hit the 27mm with a mallet to break the threads but then it was going.

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Btw I'm sorry I was wrong. Now that it's already out, the travel change guide does actually show how to remove the lockring/green thing but I had ignored that link.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts