Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 DV9 off of pink bike and I’m absolutely loving it! Initially the ride felt sketchy then I changed tires to a 2.5 MDHF and MHR 2. Wow what a difference that made and I’m having so much fun on it. Anyhow when I bought the bike I didn’t know that the rebound knob had been broken off of the fork. Reaching down to adjust the rebound and not finding one came as quite a shock.
So I’m now in the market for a new fork then I’ll send the old one in for repairs and servicing. Probably sell it afterwards. Just wondering what you guys think of the 2021 factory FIT4 34 step cast fork as a replacement? Looks like a great fork.

Also I’ve recently rode with my buddy on Hornby Island who rides a Yeti Arc. While visiting we swapped bikes and I couldn’t give it back to him fast enough. Very harsh and not as playful ride as the DV9. While I was there he put on 2.6 Minion DHF and Minion HR2 and again it also transformed his bike.

So now I’m thinking 2.6 for my bike. Have any of you ran 2.6 and what do you think of them?
So yes, fork and tires, any insights?
Thanks and cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
just ride and enjoy being able to ride!

new bike. old bike. nice fashion. crap old shorts and t-shirt. doesnt matter.

ride your bike and have fun. get another bike when the old one is not fun anymore

new doesnt mean better... it just means new.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how to reply to your post, not a lot of helpful technical advice there. I will say that I’ve been riding bikes for 56 years now and 19 bikes later I’ve had lots of fun. My question was about how can I squeeze more fun out of this bike. I also have a Ripmo which is a ton of fun and a 1985 BRC single speed, lots of fun there. Oh my fat bike and road bike, lots of fun there. Don’t miss jean cutoffs, the sweat rash was harsh😄.

Anyone else had experience with larger tires or the upgraded step cast fork?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I really appreciate your responses, just what I wanted to hear. My friend with the Yeti said to me, “I hope you get to experience 2.6’s on your bike, they’re fantastic.” So on that note today I ordered a Covert wheel set from We Are One in Kamloops BC. I’ll keep the old wheels for the fast flowy stuff. Regarding the fork I went and bought a new Step Cast FIT4 because the old one is going to take some time to repair. I’m excited because yesterday I rode a really rocky and rooty trail on my Stan’s Arch wheels and they beat the crap out of me.
So again thanks.
Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys I forgot to ask, what’s your internal rim width? The Convert is 35mm inside, the Union is 30mm inside. I still have time to change. I can’t seem to find info on what rim Ibis spec’d with the bike. My seems like it was a frame with lots of odd parts thrown on it.
Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Ripmo v2 but wanted to say that with 35mm rims you are going to love the 2.5 & 2.6 tires. I have found I need to run lower pressure with the 35mm than the 30mm in order to get some sidewall squish. The 35mm rims are much harder to burp as well and just provide an excellent platform for wide tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.