Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I5Troll
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Duthie Phase 2 has started :band: and we have a plan to take us through the summer...

1) Light work party schedule to:
  • Improve existing XC trails (add a few features, improve drainage, improve sustainability)
  • Build a new beginner freeride/jump line to rider's left of Semper Dirticus

2) Plan. In parallel with that, we'll be finalizing the whole Phase 2 planchilada... funding, scope, schedule, budget, design, finding lead builders, flagging/routing, etc.

Work parties will start up again big-time in the fall.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I won't be able to get there til a bit after 5 tomorrow, but I'll help as much as I can. Is the gate on the road into the clearing going to be open?

·
I5Troll
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agate said:
I won't be able to get there til a bit after 5 tomorrow, but I'll help as much as I can. Is the gate on the road into the clearing going to be open?
Schweeet. Looking forward to seeing you there. The gate won't be open so you'll have to ride/walk in. We're working out a solution with King County so volunteers can get in during work parties.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just curious, are there any plans for a trail similar to the Lloyd Detour at Paradise or Tapeworm/Parasite being built at Duthie in Phase 2?

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Doubtful.

Since there are already several instance of that type of building around the area, the idea for Duthie has been a more open "Bend" style of riding that isn't common around here.

That's not to say that if someone wants to do that and see it through to completion that Mike won't lobby for it getting done. I know just the spot for it. :thumbsup: (But, I also know that several other existing builders want to do something else entirely with that chunk already.)

I personally love that style of riding but I am also well aware that the vast majority of riders out there do not. (Too difficult and too much work is the most common complaint...) But, something like that could be a nice addition to the area. (Keeping it "difficult" and keeping people on the trail and not braiding or bailing out once in will a huge problem.)

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,678 Posts
When we designed Duthie we did a couple things. 1) We asked people what they wanted and 2) we tried to build something different that the existing riding opportunities so we compliment existing trail systems and provide variety 3) Make the xc loops work together as a nice xc race course that is easy to flag with few intersections.

Because there's existing tight and twisty trail currently available at Paradise, Tolt and Towers of Power, that style of trail didn't make it into the plan at Duthie.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Exactly!

My biggest beef with those types of trails isn't their rideability or their creative use of space/terrain. It's that the various sections inevitably end up being close to one another and you get people who insist on putting shortcuts between them. Then, you get a bunch of unnecessary intersections where they need not be and it really interrupts any flow.

EB

Borneo said:
I personally love that style of riding but I am also well aware that the vast majority of riders out there do not. (Too difficult and too much work is the most common complaint...) But, something like that could be a nice addition to the area. (Keeping it "difficult" and keeping people on the trail and not braiding or bailing out once in will a huge problem.)

·
I5Troll
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bavgumbo said:
Just curious, are there any plans for a trail similar to the Lloyd Detour at Paradise or Tapeworm/Parasite being built at Duthie in Phase 2?
What Borneo and Juice said. We just completed another survey with the racers from our June 19 Duthie Dash. We'll post the all of the results later, but here are a few bullets related to XC trail style/content:

• Racers prefer fast/flowy/bermy over tight/slow/twisty.
  • Racers would like to see more technical features -- preference for technical passing/shortcut options vs. features embedded in the trails.
  • Length of course, difficulty level and overall fun factor are good.
  • Could use more passing opportunities.

First 2 bullets are consistent with the original survey.

Also, Borneo is planning on adding an advanced switchback skill building option off of the MovinOn trail... very tight Palisides style down and then back up.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
  • Racers prefer fast/flowy/bermy over tight/slow/twisty.
  • Racers would like to see more technical features -- preference for technical passing/shortcut options vs. features embedded in the trails. (Like roots?) :)

LOL! Don't those contradict each other? :skep:

We had tech options for the race and the race organizers apparently at the request of those racing chose not to use them.
    This is a whole different thread. :thumbsup:

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,678 Posts
Borneo said:
[*]Racers prefer fast/flowy/bermy over tight/slow/twisty.
[*]Racers would like to see more technical features -- preference for technical passing/shortcut options vs. features embedded in the trails. (Like roots?) :)

LOL! Don't those contradict each other? :skep:
Nope. You're confusing trail features with how the corners and turns are designed.

·
I5Troll
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Borneo said:
Don't those contradict each other?
Poor Borneo... he'll never understand what flow means :D . You can have all kinds of cool technical features in a flowy trail... roots, rocks, drops, even skinnies. You've actually done it with the 2 wooden feature sets on MovinOn. If you have the skill, you can flow right onto and carry speed through each without braking. Even the skinnies on MovinOn are right after climbing/slow sections, so you can flow right on to them without having to hard brake to set yourself up for 'em. On the other hand, hard braking before a turn or feature and then having to accelerate right after = not flowy. And don't forget "not flowy" doesn't mean "bad" -- it just means "not flowy."

Borneo said:
We had tech options for the race and the race organizers apparently at the request of those racing chose not to use them.
It's up to the race organizers to decide the course. They chose not to have them because of the risk. According to the survey after the race, more racers showed a preference to keep those shortcut options in. So maybe we'll have more next time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My thought about a trail or trail segment like Parasite, etc.. was that it took me a while to understand that accomplishing slow and control made me a better rider overall. Given the skill development aspect of Duthie that some super tight & handlebar catching gnar would add to the experience and skill of local riders/students.

I do LOVE the flow at Duthie. It makes drive worth it. The downhill on the Bootcamp just feels sooooo good. Once my whiplash recovery is over again I'll be out to help.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
What do I know. I think dirt jumping is, well, dirt jumping.... ;)

Mike and I were just talking about where we can maybe do some slow maneuver skill building stuff in the clearing or in conjunction with the new pump track, or, maybe popping up someplace near the clearing soon. :thumbsup:

We realize there is demand for that phase of skill building as well and the main concern was using up a section of prime flow possible woods for it versus a nice fit in/near the clearing with plenty of room for falling, etc.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Is there a map or physical plans for the second phase?

When does construction start for the real dirt jumps? :)

If I had seen this thread sooner, I would have come out to help today.:madman:

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
How 'bout tomorrow???

We'll all be there all day w/50 microsoft volunteers...

BTW: I think there is a map out there somewhere on the wiki or some place for Phase 2. 3 new beginner/int FR type lines. 3 more mice of XC. Pump track in the clearing. Regional trail from GR though over by Boot Camp.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Nice evening out there, worked on the beginner free ride line.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts