Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple weekends back, i was showing a buddy of mine the trails at duthie. returning to the center area in the middle of the ride, we saw that there was a lot of commotion around the larger pump track next to the beginner drops. details were limited on what had happened, but by the time i got to the crowd, i noticed that someone was doing chest compressions on a guy that had fallen. the guy's wife was on the phone with 911, with the person on the other end giving CPR instructions through her.

when the ambulances showed up, the EMTs continued the CPR until they got a defib going. they ended up placing the guy on a stretcher and put him in the back of one of the ambulances.

you could feel that everyone was in a controlled panic. i wanted to help, but i didn't want to get in the way. when the EMTs arrived, they asked how the guy got injured and no one knew. he wasn't bruised up and when we found his helmet, it wasn't damaged.

my question is, does anyone know what happened afterwards? i've never been through anything like that, even as a bystander, and it's been eating at me for the past two weeks. i'd like to hear that the guy is fine, drinking a beer and in good health.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just got a pm that the guy is in the middle of making a full recovery.

to everyone out there, that day, who helped out, provided shade, performed cpr, called 911, kept the kids away, moved bikes for the ambulances and worked with police afterwards, you guys are some of the best of our community. thanks!

·
I5Troll
1,343 Posts
...to everyone out there, that day, who helped out, provided shade, performed cpr, called 911, kept the kids away, moved bikes for the ambulances and worked with police afterwards, you guys are some of the best of our community. thanks!
Yes, very well said... thanks to everyone! It was a heart-attack and I heard he just returned home last Friday. He is very grateful to everyone who helped.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Mt. Biking and heart attacks...

This can happen to anyone over the age of 40 no matter how good of shape you are in.
You're exercising hard and a platelet (unstable collection of lipids) attached to the artery comes loose and you have a heart attack from either the platelet blocking the artery or the injury site starts to coagulate and blocks the artery. Without advocating anyone do the same (I'm not a doctor), I keep 325 milli-grams of aspirin in my pack (which is the recommend dosage of aspirin to take if you suspect you're having a heart attack - chewed not swallowed). One of these days, it may save my (a) life.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Things that will kill you on the trail:
1. Heart (eg. infarction/ischemia, arrythmia). Fatal: 15%. Intervention: Aspirin, nitroglycerin, AED
2. Lungs (eg. tension pneumothorax). Fatal: near 100%. Intervention: angiocath, chest tube to suction (brake line)
3. Anaphylactic envenomation (eg. bee sting). Fatal: variable. Intervention: Epipen
4. Massive trauma/arterial bleed. Fatal: variable Intervention: pressure/tourniquet, endovascular repair

At one point or other I have carried all of the above aside from the AED. On my big ride (Great Divide Route) I carried suture material and an angiocath. I have never had to use any of this stuff on the trail. But I would hate to watch a friend, or fellow biker die in my arms, when I could have saved them had I had the right equipment.

·
habitual line-stepper
443 Posts
This can happen to anyone over the age of 40 no matter how good of shape you are in.
You're exercising hard and a platelet (unstable collection of lipids) attached to the artery comes loose and you have a heart attack from either the platelet blocking the artery or the injury site starts to coagulate and blocks the artery. Without advocating anyone do the same (I'm not a doctor), I keep 325 milli-grams of aspirin in my pack (which is the recommend dosage of aspirin to take if you suspect you're having a heart attack - chewed not swallowed). One of these days, it may save my (a) life.
just for clarification, it's usually a plaque lining the coronary wall that ruptures, causing an inflammatory response leading to platelet aggregation (clot formation) and arterial occlusion, aka ACS or acute coronary syndrome. type I diabetics or those with familial lipid disorders have an increased risk of developing plaques earlier in life. i've met people in their 30's with pretty bad heart disease.

also, once out at black diamond, my friend and i ran into another biker at the toy tree. he had just come up that small climb from the north end of the stump and we got to talking. his friend passed away on that climb during a group ride. iirc from his story, the group made it up to the stump and his friend was taking a while. they rode back and found him down. some members rode out to the coal cart to take the paramedics back while some stayed back to do CPR. they placed a small memorial above the trail. pretty somber ride after that. glad to hear that guy at duthie had a good outcome and to hear other riders helped save his life! good idea about carrying aspirin, too.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Just so people know, I assume in the event of accident at Duthie, 911 is the best place to call? Do they know the Duthie location, or is there some other info we should provide to help guide them to the right spot?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.