Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
How much further ???
Joined
·
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 10 year break Im finally getting back into mountain biking. I have a 99 Wild Hare that I built up with the latest and greatest of the day but after that many years in a garage I want to replace my brakes. (The original Hayes hydrolic system I believe).

The problem is the Wild Hare has a 22mm direct mount on the rear chain stay so from what Ive read Im SOL on any new post mount or IS caliper.

So can I just purchase the Stroker Trail complete lever assembly, rebuilt the G2 calipers and be good to go? Or am I way off here.
 

·
Official ***** Idiot
Joined
·
333 Posts
That adapter should work, except with larger DH six-piston calipers. Those might hit the seatstay.

Otherwise, no, you can't change levers to a new one of any type. Different fluid push, different size bore compared to lever piston, that sort of thing.
 

·
How much further ???
Joined
·
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heff® said:
That adapter should work, except with larger DH six-piston calipers. Those might hit the seatstay.

Otherwise, no, you can't change levers to a new one of any type. Different fluid push, different size bore compared to lever piston, that sort of thing.
I was looking at this adaptor. Sort of big and ugly but I dont really care about looks too much anymore. I just need to get this rig up and running again.

http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Adapters.html

If that adaptor doesnt work I was looking to put a Hayes Stroker Trail lever with the old Hayes G2 22mm caliper. I guess I should just call Hayes and get their opinion.
 

·
How much further ???
Joined
·
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
dogonfr said:
Whats wrong with your original master??:confused:
They are 11 years old and have spent 4 summers in the garage in AZ. Temps reaching 120+ degrees. I guess I could rebuild them but I figured by the time I did that I would not be too far from the price of some middle of the road new brake systems. If I can get a solution that allows me to install postmounts on the rear I can upgrade to anything then. Thats my thought process at least.
 

·
Official ***** Idiot
Joined
·
333 Posts
Douger-1 said:
They are 11 years only and have spent 4 summers in the garage in AZ. Temps reaching 120+ degrees. I guess I could rebuild them but I figured by the time I did that I would not be too far from the price of some middle of the road new brake systems. If I can get a solution that allows me to install postmounts on the rear I can upgrade to anything then. Thats my thought process at least.
AFAIK, you can still get rebuild kits for your old caliper. Maybe just rebuild the rear, although there shouldn't be anything wrong with them, and get a new front brake. Mismatched levers, yes, and you'll want one that has equal or more power than the rear, but cheaper than buying an adapter and a complete set of brakes. Just ride the old one until either parts aren't available anymore or you need a whole new frame.
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
Douger-1 said:
They are 11 years old and have spent 4 summers in the garage in AZ. Temps reaching 120+ degrees. I guess I could rebuild them but I figured by the time I did that I would not be too far from the price of some middle of the road new brake systems. If I can get a solution that allows me to install postmounts on the rear I can upgrade to anything then. Thats my thought process at least.
The original master rebuild kit is no longer available but the existing Mag rebuild kit will work with modification. :cool:

A Hayes Mag master alone is $85 and a complete Stroker Trail set is $100 at PP. :thumbsup:

http://www.spadout.com/b/Hayes/hydraulic-disc-brake-system/
 

·
Official ***** Idiot
Joined
·
333 Posts
dogonfr said:
The original master rebuild kit is no longer available but the existing Mag rebuild kit will work with modification. :cool:

A Hayes Mag master alone is $85 and a complete Stroker Trail set is $100 at PP. :thumbsup:

http://www.spadout.com/b/Hayes/hydraulic-disc-brake-system/
$100 per wheel. Just clarifying that. And no adapters included, so he'd need to get the correct one for his fork.
 

·
How much further ???
Joined
·
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you to all

I appriciate all the responses and I have decided to try out the rear adapter 22mm -> post mount for the $22. Im going to hold off on any new brake equipment until I determine if the adapter will work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
Any luck with this adapter. One thing to consider is to use a front adapter in the rear to help make it fit. I think that a2z adapter ads 20mm to the adapter so using a front adapter for the rear should help it fit and keep you to a 160mm rear rotor. However, I have never set it up that why, just the way I would do it if I was you.
Post a pic if you have it up and running.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top