Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'all, I've got a family trip coming up to Durango the second week of Sept. What is "must ride"? We're staying near Purgatory but I'm open to suggestions for anything from Bayfield to Silverton.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
What kind of rides are you interested in? Do you want "big" backcountry rides where you'll work hard at higher elevations but have a big payoff or do you want more "standard" type loop rides? Will you have somebody to drop you at Point A and pick you up at Point B?
If I was staying at Purgatory and had somebody to shuttle me, I'd ride Hermosa Creek for sure. Down in town, you have Twin Buttes as somebody mentioned, I ride the Dry Fork/Hoffheins area from Junction Creek on the Colorodo Trail. If you want some mellower stuff with great views and empty trails, look into Boggy Draw/Italian Canyon above Dolores. I always ride at least one day over at Phil's World in Cortez. If you want something challenging in town, check out Raiders Ridge at the Horse Gulch area. Don't bother with Bayfield. My relatives live there and I spend 2 weeks per year there in Saul's Creek...nothing worth your time out that way.
If you want BIG rides, check out everything you can link off of Molas Pass. You can go out Coal Creek to Engineer Mountain and drop down Cascade Creek. Shuttling Kennebec to the Colorado Trail and dropping into town is also a great ride.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of rides are you interested in? Do you want "big" backcountry rides where you'll work hard at higher elevations but have a big payoff or do you want more "standard" type loop rides? Will you have somebody to drop you at Point A and pick you up at Point B?
If I was staying at Purgatory and had somebody to shuttle me, I'd ride Hermosa Creek for sure. Down in town, you have Twin Buttes as somebody mentioned, I ride the Dry Fork/Hoffheins area from Junction Creek on the Colorodo Trail. If you want some mellower stuff with great views and empty trails, look into Boggy Draw/Italian Canyon above Dolores. I always ride at least one day over at Phil's World in Cortez. If you want something challenging in town, check out Raiders Ridge at the Horse Gulch area. Don't bother with Bayfield. My relatives live there and I spend 2 weeks per year there in Saul's Creek...nothing worth your time out that way.
If you want BIG rides, check out everything you can link off of Molas Pass. You can go out Coal Creek to Engineer Mountain and drop down Cascade Creek. Shuttling Kennebec to the Colorado Trail and dropping into town is also a great ride.
Thanks for the suggestions! Since it's a family trip (wife, 5 kids (3 with spouses), 3 grandkids), I'm thinking along the lines of short 1-2 hour loops and/or out and backs. I do not think anything too epic (long) this trip, will be allowed:)

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! Since it's a family trip (wife, 5 kids (3 with spouses), 3 grandkids), I'm thinking along the lines of short 1-2 hour loops and/or out and backs. I do not think anything too epic (long) this trip, will be allowed:)
Aside from the initial climb out of the parking lot, Twin Buttes is great and finishes with a flow section. A further drive than most trails but Boggy Draw would also be a great option. Otherwise, keep it simple and go to Horse Gulch in town.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Dry Fork/Hoffheims is my favorite "town" ride, you can turn left at the top and add as much out and back Colorado trail as you can manage. Or also don't do the Hoffheim section and drop Co trail back down to Durango and pop out at Junction Creek and have someone pick you up.

Twin Buttz is fun, but you can ride every single trail there in about an hour, very small. Also dry and dusty compared to lush and rippy grippy that is the Colorado trail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.