Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Blargh
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to Durango this weekend and want to do some riding. I lived there many years ago, so I know the basic rides in town. I know all the horse gulch rides, Colo. Trail - Dry Fork Loop, etc. I have also done Hermosa Creek a few times.

But given the weather, I'd love to get in the high country, and never really did those rides before. I'm not looking for anything super epic as far as length, and I don't think we will have 2 cars to shuttle (though I am willing to hitch back to a car if it is possible). I have heard that Molas Pass down to Cascade Creek is awesome, but no idea of length or how difficult it is (both from technical POV and route finding). I am decent on the bike but no stud, and my friend is slower and not as skilled. She doesn't suck, but I don't want to kill her. :)

So, what high country rides would you recommend?

·
Rocky Mountain High
234 Posts
sandbagger said:
I'm headed to Durango this weekend and want to do some riding. I lived there many years ago, so I know the basic rides in town. I know all the horse gulch rides, Colo. Trail - Dry Fork Loop, etc. I have also done Hermosa Creek a few times.

But given the weather, I'd love to get in the high country, and never really did those rides before. I'm not looking for anything super epic as far as length, and I don't think we will have 2 cars to shuttle (though I am willing to hitch back to a car if it is possible). I have heard that Molas Pass down to Cascade Creek is awesome, but no idea of length or how difficult it is (both from technical POV and route finding). I am decent on the bike but no stud, and my friend is slower and not as skilled. She doesn't suck, but I don't want to kill her. :)

So, what high country rides would you recommend?
I think a very enjoyable ride that meets your lack of shuttle would be to park at Coal Bank Pass, ride the road to Molas Pass and do the conventional ride back to Coal Bank to your car. 7 miles of road to Molas Pass>10.7 miles of the CT>Take left on Engineer Mntn Trail for 4.3 miles>Left onto Pass Creek Trail for 2.7 miles back to your car. About 25 miles and really a tremendous ride.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.